Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: GU vs Arizona - Predictions/Thoughts/What you do hope to see

Quote Originally Posted by tenniszag View Post
    I live in Phoenix and have a lot of Family/Friends that are big Cats fans. This year the majority of them definitely have a “man I just hope we can stay close to the Zags” mindset. When we played in Tucson 5 years ago most still had the “Zags are overrated, weak conference, don’t deserve to be in the same sentence as Cats” mindset. The shift has been pretty interesting.

I’m in the camp that thinks Arizona is a Top 10 team this year and a road win for our Zags will be a tall order. I’ll be making the drive down tomorrow along with about 10 other former Zags, so really hope I’m wrong!
    Hi TennisZag,
    When I watched the Zags vs Huskies at the Pumphouse Bar & Grill in Bellevue, the Huskie fans had the same attitude. Throughout the game it was "We are still in it" and at the end "At least we played them close"
    an amazing turnaround from just 3 yrs ago, when our trip to the national championship game was a fluke, a 'perfect storm' that happened, translated, a fluke.

Vegas line seems to favor the zags by 3 points
    https://www.vegasinsider.com/college...m/team/gonzaga

Arizona is actually favored by 3.

https://www.oddsshark.com/ncaab/gonz...4-2019-1191240
    Welcome to Zagdom

BPI only giving us a 30% win probability vs Zona tonight.

Even tho @Zona, thought it'd be higher. Surprising.

BPI gave us a 70% win prob vs UW last wkend.

It's fairly spot on, Arizona ranks pretty high in relative metrics.

Fwiw, they give us an 80% vs UNC next Weds.

Zags 81
    Cats 77
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

This is gonna be a tough place to get a win. The win over UW bolsters my confidence in the Zags road performance, but Arizona is going to be motivated. Our young bigs will need to step up defensively and hold their own on the boards.

I’m going with:
    Zags 82
    Cats 80
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

ZAGS 84-83, maybe in overtime just to keep me up until 2 am EST. Game will be over around 12:45 am, but can't go straight to bed after such an exciting game. Will have to watch a Virginia Cavalier game to get to sleep.

92-90

Gonzaga wins

AZ 54-1 in last 55 home games vs non-conference opponents, 7-0 this year. Zags have never won in Tucson. OTH, GU 10-0 straight up in road games so far. So, going w/the deciding factor: My brother's in Tucson, lives & dies w/the 'Cats. For now, he lives another day and takes my twenty bucks, as well. AZ 76 GU 74. W/a fully healthy Watson & Gilder, I believe we'd break that Tucson losing streak.

I will be surprised if we win, just because this team is good and playing them at home will be tough. Nico is the best offensive point guard in the country and makes their offense the best it has been in years, probably since TJ. Zeke has great hands, is a fluid but not explosive athlete, and has a good mid range jumper. Arizona is absolutely terrible defensively and they don't have a true rim protector. If we are able to hit our three pointers, get Petrusev rolling, and focus on doubling Zeke and trapping Nico we have we chance. We have the players to do an excellent job of stopping them, but our defense has been so hit or miss this year that I wouldn't be surprised if we get scorched on defense from bad rotations and not paying attention to who has the ball to maybe even winning by double digits if we get turnovers, win the offensive glass, and hit our open jumpers.

I think Sean Miller is gonna sweat this one out. Fewie cool as the other side of the pillow.

86-80 zags

Quote Originally Posted by tummydoc View Post
    Sounds like a puritan, maybe an Adventist, but what does Christianity have to do with alcohol abstinence? Christ and the apostles drank alcohol, wine is prominently featured in the Catholic eucharist. Think I'd skip that party, crack a brew, and enjoy the zags domination on the big screen.
    It’s a fine line between gladenning the heart with wine and drunkenness. I get it. I feel that every person should follow their own convictions on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
    Arizona is absolutely terrible defensively and they don't have a true rim protector. .
    He hasn't played much so far because he's fairly raw, but have you seen Koloko? He's got Go Go Gadget stretch arms. Somewhere down the road he could be a great shot blocker.

Having dinner at Gentle Ben’s. Restaurant, inside and out, is crammed with Zag fans.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    He hasn't played much so far because he's fairly raw, but have you seen Koloko? He's got Go Go Gadget stretch arms. Somewhere down the road he could be a great shot blocker.

He has a great back story and the Athletic had a story on him this week. He doesnt get a ton of minutes. I was mostly thinking between Zeke and Chase they don't play much interior defense.

GU75
    UA79

This game is going to be so close...

In order for GU to win we have to control the boards, make our FTs, limit our fouls and TOs

79-76 GU

Well definitely no Walton tonight. Gonna have to dig down deep to find something else to complain about.

AZ shooting 2-16 right now from 3...their big is getting boards and lay ups. Still in man to man? Why the hell not zone

Quote Originally Posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
    86-80 zags
    This may be the winning projection on LIZF's spreadsheet! Nice job...
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Well definitely no Walton tonight. Gonna have to dig down deep to find something else to complain about.
    No complaints from me ... tonight's crew did a commendable job I thought.
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by amaronizag View Post
    Zags win 84-78
    OOH ... this was an excellent guess!
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Lots of you were really close on this one. Nobody nailed it but dang, great job by many!
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Ummm... yeah... someone did. See Predictions Results thread... well give me about 10 minutes to get all of this processed... but we did have a perfect score.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death