Thread: Post-Washington Media

Default Post-Washington Media

Starting our with Coach Hopkins press conference video:

Hard not to like Coach Hopkins.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Spokesman-Review: "Recap and highlights: No. 9 Gonzaga powers past No. 22 Washington in Seattle"

Gonzaga's Ryan Woolridge (4) tries to get past Washington's Elijah Hardy (10) in the first half of an NCAA college basketball game Sunday, Dec. 8, 2019, in Seattle. (Elaine Thompson / AP)
    Spokesman-Review: "Gonzaga-Washington: 3 keys to the Bulldogs’ 83-76 victory over the Huskies"
    Offensive MVP

Killian Tillie wasn’t Gonzaga’s high scorer, but he provided plenty of points (15), a crucial 3-pointer late and a team-high six assists. The senior forward facilitated the offense on numerous occasions, using his 6-foot-11 frame to fire passes over the top of Washington’s zone to post players or open cutters.

Defensive MVP

Ryan Woolridge did what he’s done so often this season. The senior guard was a pest defensively in addition to scoring 16 points. He had three steals and disrupted a UW offense that committed 19 turnovers. Woolridge grabbed four rebounds, three on the defensive end.

Key moment

Gonzaga closed the game with an 11-6 run to dig out the road win. Tillie’s 3-pointer from 29 feet with 2:50 remaining was huge, bumping Gonzaga’s lead to 75-70. Joel Ayayi added a 25-foot, 3-pointer with 25 seconds left gave GU an 82-76 edge and sealed the victory.

I wish the old farts that attend GU games would listen to Hopkins last 30 seconds of that presser.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Seattle-Times: "No. 9 Gonzaga holds on for 83-76 victory over No. 22 Washington"
    By Percy Allen
    Seattle Times staff reporter

The jam-packed Alaska Airlines Arena, which was crammed to the rafters with Huskies fans Sunday night, waited all night for a reason to explode and unleash years worth of frustration.

At times it felt as if the building might erupt when No. 22 Washington came within striking distance of surging past No. 9 Gonzaga.

However, the 48th meeting of this in-state rivalry that began in 1910 ended just like the past five meetings – with a Zags win.

This time the Bulldogs held on for an 83-76 victory.

After last year’s 81-79 defeat in Spokane, the Huskies believed they had narrowed the gap with their in-state nemesis, which has won 13 of the past 14 games against UW.

Washington brought in arguably its most talented team since its last win over GU in 2005, including freshmen Isaiah Stewart and Jaden McDaniels, who are projected first-round picks in next year’s NBA draft.

And yet Gonzaga built an early lead and withstood every run the Huskies made in the second half.
    Seattle-Times: "Photos: men’s basketball UW vs. Gonzaga"

Gonzaga Bulldogs guard Joel Ayayi celebrates his three-pointer during the second half of the NCAA men’s basketball game between University of Washington and Gonzaga University at Alaska Airlines Arena on Dec. 8, 2019. (Andy Bao / The Seattle Times)

From Twitter, Andy Katz interviews Killian:
    Andy Katz
    @TheAndyKatz
    We love the post-game bus interviews with @marchmadness
    . Killian Tillie joined me after @ZagMBB
    knocked off rival @UW_MBB
    in Seattle:
    https://twitter.com/TheAndyKatz/stat...7Ctwgr%5Etweet

AP story:
    "No. 9 Gonzaga uses late 3s to beat No. 22 Washington 83-76"
    [The Associated Press]
    TIM BOOTH (AP Sports Writer)

SEATTLE (AP) -- One glance at the shot clock told Killian Tillie there was no choice. He had to launch the jumper 30 feet from the basket.

When the shot left Tillie’s hand, it felt just like a normal 3-point attempt, even if he was almost closer to half-court. And the result? “

“It felt good. It was cash,” Tillie said.

The senior forward hit the key 3-pointer as the shot clock expired with 2:55 remaining and finished with 15 points, Joel Ayayi hit another 3 with 24 seconds left that served as a capper, and No. 9 Gonzaga held off No. 22 Washington 83-76 on Sunday night.

Control of the in-state rivalry remained on the east side of the state as the Bulldogs (10-1) could never pull away but made the key plays in the closing minutes to hold off the young Huskies (7-2). Gonzaga has won six straight in the series, with Washington’s last win coming in 2005.

It was a fun, loud, exciting night where Washington’s home arena roared in hope of the Huskies mounting a comeback. But every rally was stemmed and it was the Gonzaga fans yelling and cheering at the end.

“It was just a great college basketball game. Big shot after big shot. Big play after big play,” Gonzaga coach Mark Few said.

Except it was the Bulldogs who made more of the big plays and especially the big shots.

Tillie and Ayayi were two of the heroes on a night the Bulldogs put five players into double figures. Filip Petrusev finished with 17 points and 10 rebounds, Ryan Woolridge had 16 points, including two key baskets in the final 2 1/2 minutes. Corey Kispert added 15 points and Ayayi finished with 12, but none bigger than his 3 in the final minute.

“We did a really good job taking away the 3 until the end of the game,” Washington coach Mike Hopkins said.

Ayayi had just missed a 3 on Gonzaga’s previous possession, but didn’t hesitate to launch another 3 after Washington’s Nahziah Carter had missed a drive at the other end that could have pulled the Huskies within one.

“I felt really comfortable when I got the ball and somebody had to shoot it,” Ayayi said.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    I wish the old farts that attend GU games would listen to Hopkins last 30 seconds of that presser.
    I hope the Kennel Club sees that stretch of video too, BD

From The Slipper Still Fits:

https://www.slipperstillfits.com/201...ver-washington

The Gonzaga defense forced a lot of turnovers (19) but only turned those into 10 fastbreak points. It felt like there were a lot of buckets left on the table, and it’s the transition game that typically allows Gonzaga to put together its knockout run which never came in this game. If not for the turnovers, this game would have looked really different as Gonzaga’s halfcourt defense was really disappointing. The scouting report likely said that UW is not a good three-point shooting team, which is true, but the Zags regularly fell asleep on the perimeter, particularly in the second half.

Also from SSF:

"It’s nowhere near as bad as the Romar era, but I’m still underwhelmed with the basketball discipline displayed by the Huskies."

I described UW's play as 'undisciplined' after their win over Baylor, and some disagreed.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    They simply don't keep their hands up on threes. Surely it's being pounded by the coaches? Go back and look at some of the Huskies made threes. A defender was there, but didn't contest

A couple of national writers (Gary Parrish and Matt Norlander) do a podcast and talked a bit about last night's game starting at the 38 minute mark.

CBS Eye on College Basketball
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

I love Gary Parrish and Matt Norlander's Eye on College Basketball podcast. Always good stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    I love Gary Parrish and Matt Norlander's Eye on College Basketball podcast. Always good stuff!
    Recent one about the dead deer was priceless.