Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mark Few

Default Mark Few

Man, I thought Few coached one HELL of a game tonight. I mean really, truly. Do you have any idea how hard it is to score against a zone without elite shooting guards? Really tough.

We were getting quality looks damn near every time down the floor against a really tough defense. Credit also goes to the head man for the moxie this team showed. Reminded me of the 2017 team where they just didn't seem to get rattled. If you would told me we would only have 11 turnovers tonight I would have called BS.

OUTSTANDING job by the entire staff. Kids were ready to play and it seemed like they were ready for everything. Nothing surprised them.

Indeed. Great move throwing in traps at end of game.

Quote Originally Posted by LeightonZag View Post
    Man, I thought Few coached one HELL of a game tonight. I mean really, truly. Do you have any idea how hard it is to score against a zone without elite shooting guards? Really tough.

We were getting quality looks damn near every time down the floor against a really tough defense. Credit also goes to the head man for the moxie this team showed. Reminded me of the 2017 team where they just didn't seem to get rattled. If you would told me we would only have 11 turnovers tonight I would have called BS.

OUTSTANDING job by the entire staff. Kids were ready to play and it seemed like they were ready for everything. Nothing surprised them.
    PERFECT DISCRIPTION

End game defensive strategy very good, but I don't care for his offensive slowdown and then expect the guys to execute a great plan the last 10 seconds. Most of the time we have to take a lower percentage shot. He has used the same strategy throughout his tenure.
    The hallmark of a second class person is the resentment of another's success-R.W. Emerson
    Whatever you focus your mind on grows, grow a rose garden and not a weed patch-Dr Paul

Love what he did with woolridge, having him just diving through the lane rather than standing on the perimeter. We got some easy buckets with Cory, woolridge and Ayayi slipping behind the zone.

I tell you what I think about coach Few. He is the best coach in the country at finding the right players that fit into the system that he runs. You take Petrochev for example, with him playing on the same team as Barrett, he never got to shoot the ball, but coach saw the potential and now look at him. You could also say the same for Ayeye, he is turning out pretty good too. Coach Few knows what he is looking for, and goes out and gets it, year after year.

Quote Originally Posted by zag buddy View Post
    End game defensive strategy very good, but I don't care for his offensive slowdown and then expect the guys to execute a great plan the last 10 seconds. Most of the time we have to take a lower percentage shot. He has used the same strategy throughout his tenure.
    And he’s the winningest coach in the entire country.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

Well said! Heck of a game.

Um... Mark Few’s offense is #3 in the country this year and was #1 in the country last year.

I agree that Few is the best college basketball coach in the country, and more specifically, he has the best offensive system in the country. And that’s been the case for years.

A twitter link

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/sta...049475586?s=20

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

since a couple of you take exemption to my comment, I will say that in important big close games I'm comfortable with my opinion. It would be interesting if some basketball computer geek would check winning percentage against the strength rating at the time of playing of the opponent and then come up with a score. I'm not sure the numbers would hold up. By the way I would take Mark Few over any coach in the country.
    The hallmark of a second class person is the resentment of another's success-R.W. Emerson
    Whatever you focus your mind on grows, grow a rose garden and not a weed patch-Dr Paul

Agree 100%. This team looked, um, professional. Did not expect we would be so polished and unfazed playing a Top 25 team on the road this early.

OP +1 some nice finishing around the rim too by many players, and Timme played much better 2nd half after getting manhandled by Stewart 1st half; really stood him up for a stretch 2nd half, impressive

I saw the postgame Hopkins interview, but did Few do one?

since a couple of you take exemption to my comment, I will say that in important big close games I'm comfortable with my opinion. It would be interesting if some basketball computer geek would check winning percentage against the strength rating at the time of playing of the opponent and then come up with a score. I'm not sure the numbers would hold up. By the way I would take Mark Few over any coach in the country.
    I get what you’re saying. It’s frustrating watching the team seemingly get away from what got them there and start taking the air out of the ball, but a lot of good coaches do it. Time is your best friend at the end of games. I think you can disagree with that strategy without thinking Few is a bad coach.

This one of the first games I can remember when the team fouled guys on the floor when they got beaten instead of fouling on the shot, further compounding the problem. This team has historically given up a lot of soft and-1 plays. I wonder if this was dumb luck or a point of emphasis this game. Knowing that their big man was such a load and was going to put so much foul pressure on you.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    This one of the first games I can remember when the team fouled guys on the floor when they got beaten instead of fouling on the shot, further compounding the problem. This team has historically given up a lot of soft and-1 plays. I wonder if this was dumb luck or a point of emphasis this game. Knowing that their big man was such a load and was going to put so much foul pressure on you.
    there were a couple i thought the zags got the benefit of the call...could have easily been and 1's but were waved off.

as far as end of game situations...i like taking the air out of the ball a lot better when you have guys who can get their own shot or a veteran team that really knows how to execute. zags were bailed out this game by two very deep threes from tillie and ayayi...not something you want to rely on.

Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    there were a couple i thought the zags got the benefit of the call...could have easily been and 1's but were waved off.

as far as end of game situations...i like taking the air out of the ball a lot better when you have guys who can get their own shot or a veteran team that really knows how to execute. zags were bailed out this game by two very deep threes from tillie and ayayi...not something you want to rely on.
    The French gave us the Statue of Liberty. They took a bit of liberty back at the end of the game
    Go Zags!
    When the Zags can make a BIG shots at the end of a game, and on the road to boot, it makes the team that much more formidable to plan for and beat. The team is improving too.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Stewart could be best player Zags will face all year. Just phenomenal. How did he get all the way from Rochester to Dub?

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Stewart could be best player Zags will face all year. Just phenomenal. How did he get all the way from Rochester to Dub?
    I think Hopkins had a relationship with him and his coach from his Syracuse days

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    I think Hopkins had a relationship with him and his coach from his Syracuse days
    Hop been away 3 years, but I figured a factor. Still, how does he past Boo-heem, not to mention all the other sharks between Rochester and Montlake?

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    He actually finished his HS career at LaLumier HS in Indiana so that got him away from Ny. Then I believe confidently that Washington $ him to play across the country.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagBlue View Post
    He actually finished his HS career at LaLumier HS in Indiana so that got him away from Ny. Then I believe confidently that Washington $ him to play across the country.
    Ahhh. Makes sense. That school is just a blatant hoops factory, a la Oak Hill, Montverde and IMG. Whatever they’re paying, he’s worth it.

If he was playing for Duke he would be all we would hear about, and deservedly so. He’s really good. His strength and balance is off the charts.

Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post

I agree but things don't always go as planned. Bottom line players have to make big shots to win games.