Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Walton

There are moments when Bill offers lovely insights, and sometimes his stories are actually enjoyable. Mostly, though, it feels like it interferes with actually experiencing the game. I find Walton to be much more enjoyable on something like a sports radio show, where there isn't any actual game to get in the way of, and in that setting, you can enjoy his rambling and interplay with the hosts.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Very few color analysts actually teach the game. So if that's not gonna happen, I prefer Walton to most of the them.

I love Bill Walton. He's entertaining to me. Story about the first check he ever wrote being for a library fine for Bill Russell's book was funny to me and it doesn't distract me from watching the zags/game.

Edit to add:

On a side note, I just looked up that book on amazon - it would have been a smarter financial decision to just keep the book. Why is this selling for so much on amazon??? https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...condition=used

Quote Originally Posted by gonstu View Post
    I love Bill Walton. He's entertaining to me. Story about the first check he ever wrote being for a library fine for Bill Russell's book was funny to me and it doesn't distract me from watching the zags/game.

Edit to add:

On a side note, I just looked up that book on amazon - it would have been a smarter financial decision to just keep the book. Why is this selling for so much on amazon??? https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...condition=used
    No idea. It can be had for a LOT less.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Go+U...w=1600&bih=757
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Bill requires grains of salt. He can be a fabulist.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Over Doofish and Dykes. Bill officiated a wedding I attended in Temecula. Yes he’s a minister too. He spent most of the time waxing about the land around us and the original people who settled there. Then he married the couple, whose name was Peace, of all things. He then proceeded to say Give Peace a Chance dozens of times the rest of the evening.
    In other words, the wedding was all about ... the minister??
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by ProVeeZag View Post
    In other words, the wedding was all about ... the minister??
    He was the co-star, at least. But lotta laughs.

I've noticed that I don't stress as much when Walton is doing Zag games. Maybe it's simply because he's distracting, or off point much of the time, but I think it has more to do with his approach to life which, I think, is really about enjoying the moment. He reminds you that there bigger, more important things than the game at-hand being played. Or that maybe there are smaller things or individuals (on both teams) within the game worth appreciating, whatever the outcome. I don't see how his approach to color work is any more objectionable than guys who regurgitate factoids (How many languages did Ronny Turiaf speak? Did you know Jeremy Pargo likes cheeseburgers?) or state the painfully obvious over and over. He's kind of like Vitale on acid.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Bill requires grains of salt.
    A shaker full

Text from a friend last night:

"Listening to Bill Walton ramble aimlessly is akin to scratching chalkboards. Lord helps us all!!! Just because a bunch of states legalized weed, we don't need Captain Pothead as the face of college basketball"

For the record, this guy was a UW fan.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Gonzaga’s offense is like a Picasso painting of a perfectly breaking wave in the warm Hawaiian waters under the shadow of volcanos made from the movement of tectonic plates performing an underwater dance with the harmony of ripe avocados in a fish taco with a light spread of picante sauce in my home town of San Diego....

Anyone could be Walton as long as they have the artistic license to speak gibberish after being a great basketball player 4 decades ago. On the other hand, give me Tom Hudson every game.... this may be blasphemy but I’ll take Heister word salad over Bill’s tangents.

If Bill Walton was on tour like a musician or comedian I would definitely go see him. He’s from my generation and I have always liked him. But as an on-air basketball game commentator, I have had way more than my fill

I find Walton to be a little more pleasant. I can’t imagine inviting him to officiate at a solemn occasion. I have enough problems keeping a straight face.
    Parlez-vous français?

His comment about the guys dressed in the the foot locker uniforms shutting down Collins in the UNC National Championship game tips the balance in his favor.
    Last edited by johno; 12-09-2019 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by johno View Post
    His comment about the guys dressed in the the foot locker uniforms shutting down Collins in the UNC National Championship game tip the balance in his favor.
    +1

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PeninsulaDog View Post
    I've noticed that I don't stress as much when Walton is doing Zag games. Maybe it's simply because he's distracting, or off point much of the time, but I think it has more to do with his approach to life which, I think, is really about enjoying the moment. He reminds you that there bigger, more important things than the game at-hand being played. Or that maybe there are smaller things or individuals (on both teams) within the game worth appreciating, whatever the outcome. I don't see how his approach to color work is any more objectionable than guys who regurgitate factoids (How many languages did Ronny Turiaf speak? Did you know Jeremy Pargo likes cheeseburgers?) or state the painfully obvious over and over. He's kind of like Vitale on acid.
    ^^^THIS^^^
    If you can't handle the confusion, stay out of the Foo!

Uber on GuBoards: "Pathetic. We've got posters just sleepwalking through threads."

No Foo for You!

I was watching the UW vs Gonzaga game with my girlfriend. She knows ZERO about basketball. She asked me if the announcers didn't like each other.

His comment about the guys dressed in the the foot locker uniforms shutting down Collins in the UNC National Championship game tips the balance in his favor.
    He is right on here!!!

The missed call on May holding the ball with his hand out of bounds and the call against PK are the two that resonate most with me...

There you go. Bill knows bigs.

I see that the blabber-mouth is working the UCLA vs Notre Dame game this Saturday (in South Bend), which means he won't be in Tucson to call the Zags game. Praise the Lord God!

However, he is working the Colorado home game tonight (Pac-12 Network), so I may tune in for a bit just to see what he has to say. Isn't marijuana legal in the state of Colorado?
    WE HAVE A GOAL -- WE HAVE A MISSION -- SPOKANE, STAPLES, ATLANTA

It is probably all part of the act but I do not like the way he condescends and belittles his broadcast partners.....of course he knows his basketball and he may be a lovely person off the air but he is a jerk during the broadcasts and unfortunately that is what some of the public enjoys....

He should run for political office.....
    Last edited by bartruff1; 12-10-2019 at 07:54 AM.

Thumbs down Unfair to Teams, to Fans

For this fan the immediate sense of "O, no" when Walton is announced as the color commentator (for a game this fan really cares about) is that a fan knows that half of the ensuing conversation will have nothing to do with the ball game, that at some point the TV's volume will be turned down to shut off the relentless blather. If Walton wants to give his views on this & that, celebrate this & that, then maybe ESPN/PAC-12 Network can give him a half-hour show. It's so disrespectful to the game, to the fans (many of whom have been eagerly awaiting the GU v. UW match-up) when he's talking about visits to Belgrade, this food/that food, did you know this geographical/that geographical fact, the relentless putdowns of the play-by-play man, etc. Entire game sequences are ignored while the camera cuts away to Walton pontificating on irrelevances. The game is the star, should be the star, not Bill Walton.

God bless Bill, really. Nonetheless, this fan hopes with his head, heart, and gizzard that Walton won't be doing the AZ game too.

:[
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Was it me or were they both coming off as almost rooting for UW at points?
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Was it me or were they both coming off as almost rooting for UW at points?
    It wasn't just you.

:[
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Agree w so many others here that Walton’s utter disregard for the game and players at hand in favor of talking ad nauseum about himself is just wrong and seemingly violates all basic tenets ofsports broadcasting 101; nonetheless, I can put up with him much more readily then I can Dakich or Vitale or Bilas. Those 3 are much more irritating and grating to me then Walton is.

Bill Raftery and Fran Fraschilla are currently my two favorite commentators.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1