Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Walton

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    he was classic tonight. He does his research and he does know basketball.

+1.

Hilarious!
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

He is the absolute worst. Did Walton even watch the game? ESPN should be ashamed putting him on big games.

Quote Originally Posted by CPkZagFan View Post
    Let us NEVER complain about Heister, Fox and Dickau.
    Walton changes the measurement.

Walton spends more time talking about other subjects that pop into his head and really does an injustice to the players on the floor who make some great plays but get no commentary because of Bill. Not a fan. I will not listen to him announce a game again.
    The hallmark of a second class person is the resentment of another's success-R.W. Emerson
    Whatever you focus your mind on grows, grow a rose garden and not a weed patch-Dr Paul

My sister tweeted his WIFE and asked her if she could shut him up. He is so incredibly awful. People tuning in want to WATCH the GAME and hopefully get some insight not have the screen on him while he blathers on about Jim Morrison's grave and name drops players from 50 years ago. My husband asked if we were on the history channel. I'm sure he's a great guy in person but he is the WORST ever as an announcer.

This thread should be sent in its entirety to Bill. Give him a chance for feedback

Or you can send him bits and pieces to @BillWalton via twitter.

I suspect he doesn't care what his audience thinks.
    Last edited by RenoZag; 12-08-2019 at 10:37 PM.

Anyone know if he ended up seeing the Grateful Dead at the Gorge with Mark Few Summer 2019? I thought he mentioned those plans in a Zag game he was doing last year. Agree with those who point out he puts himself above the action in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaZagFan View Post
    Living in Georgia I get excited when the Zags are on national TV so I can watch in the comfort of my theater room instead of at my computer desk.....and then they throw Bill Walton in there!!!! The guy was an amazingly good basketball player and an amazingly BAD announcer!! WHY does nobody on the network understand this? IMO the best announcers are like the best referees, after the game is over you don't even remember who they were!!! It SHOULD be about the game!!!!
    I submitted a written comment to ESPN about a year ago on just what I thought about Walton's "performance" doing Zag games (any game for that matter). ESPN thanked me for my input and explained how Walton has a large following of viewers that admire his "work" and that, while he doesn't appeal to everyone, there are enough that he does appeal to to justify his continued employment with ESPN. My opinion on Walton: Great basketball player, horrible announcer. I've learned to tune out his voice over the years. I would encourage any of you readers of this to contact ESPN (you can comment online on their website) and voice your opinion of Walton. If they could confine him to doing only Mountain West conference games, that would be a start!
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

I thought this game was one of his best.

Grouchy ppl in here. "Stay off my lawn!"
    Love the zags for life

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Sorry Zags fans, but I have to listen to Walton all the time. You'll get thru this.
    Only because there is a mute button
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Look, I know Bill. A terrific person and sweet man. But he was really unprofessional last night with two ranked teams, a great setting, and most of all a great game and his largely ignoring it. A typical UCLA blowout is fine for such antics. Clearly the blame is on ESPN, which thinks that kind of clown show is what CBB fans want. Just wrong. But Bill’s a wonderful guy.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Look, I know Bill. A terrific person and sweet man. But he was really unprofessional last night with two ranked teams, a great setting, and most of all a great game and his largely ignoring it. A typical UCLA blowout is fine for such antics. Clearly the blame is on ESPN, which thinks that kind of clown show is what CBB fans want. Just wrong. But Bill’s a wonderful guy.

I'm a fan of his basketball days...always thought he was the second greatest center of all time behind Lew/Karem...

I did find fault with his description of Bill as the greatest defencive center of all time...he was good but simply ineffective when he played against Wilt...

He was in rare form last evening and think he has a time minimum in his contract that guarantees he is on camera 10+minutes each game...they could have done a split screen and I could have lived with that but just too much face time...

GREAT win for GU!

Default Cortez

The best part was seeing his pup Cortez. I was amazed how much he knew about Spokane. Weird dude, off topic a ton, but knows the game particularly with the bigs. Annoying though.

I would take Bill any day over Big 12 homer Dakich.

Playing for Pac 12 title Saturday night vs Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by kyle dixon View Post
    The best part was seeing his pup Cortez. I was amazed how much he knew about Spokane. Weird dude, off topic a ton, but knows the game particularly with the bigs. Annoying though.

I would take Bill any day over Big 12 homer Dakich.

Playing for Pac 12 title Saturday night vs Arizona

Over Doofish and Dykes. Bill officiated a wedding I attended in Temecula. Yes he’s a minister too. He spent most of the time waxing about the land around us and the original people who settled there. Then he married the couple, whose name was Peace, of all things. He then proceeded to say Give Peace a Chance dozens of times the rest of the evening.

He is a egotistical blowhard and a bully who distracts from what is going on.....seems to be the prototype public figure in America...

I have no doubt that Bill is a quality individual in real life, but put a microphone in front of him, and oy vey! His job is to provide color commentary on the game in front of him, not to talk about Bill Russell over and over and over. I pray he will not be in McKale Center this upcoming Saturday, as certain circumstances will require me to be sober that night while watching GU vs AZ.
    IF YOU ZAG, PLEASE DON'T ZIG

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    And there's a bike reference. 282 miles in 2 days though? That seems ambitious.
    He’s nuts. I’ve done it. Seattle, Snoqualmie, Easton, Yakima, Dayton right to Lewiston. 7 days.

Agree 100%. I'll say this about Bill -- and I thought he was particularly bad last night -- when he talks basketball -- by which I mean the game he is there to broadcast -- he is excellent. There were a few times last night where I would turn to my daughter, about to say something like "that looked like an uncalled travel" and before I could Bill would say "that's a walk". He was one of the greatest to ever play the game and has insights into the game 99.999999% of us will never have. I just wish he'd save the schtick for blowouts and other venues. Rant over.
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

This is what would happen if Coach Leach gets into broadcasting after his coaching days are over.

Ugh! I think not. The incessant guttural snorting of nasal mucosa would be much worse than anything Wild Billy could ever do. "But, Mike's a good football coach!"

Quote Originally Posted by Billfish'80 View Post
    Ugh! I think not. The incessant guttural snorting of nasal mucosa would be much worse than anything Wild Billy could ever do. "But, Mike's a good football coach!"
    Worse than Bill barking?

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    He is a egotistical blowhard and a bully
    Couldn't disagree more, bart.

Bully? Over the top.

I also hate listening to Walton (I just put on the radio stream) but I don't think he's a bully.

I think he's one of the 2:

A: He's genuinely part crazy or drugged out, and living in his own world where he doesn't realize that the rest of the world isn't located or doesn't relate/care to what's in his mind (sorta brain-addled narcissism)

B: Thinks (and maybe is coached by ESPN?) that playing out his rambling unrelated-to-the-game aging hippie schtick is fun and amusing and a nice change from normal announcing, so he plays it up even though he knows full well that it turns broadcasts into the Bill Walton show. He's smart enough to know some fans hate it, but thinks it's his "brand" and it has given him a following.

I honestly have no idea which of those 2 scenarios is more likely, and I can't conceive of any other explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post

aging hippie
    Guilty.