Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Walton

Redundant PSA to listen to Hudson/Morrison on the radio's audio (so good!) and not whatever TV audio there is:

Step 1: download the free "tunein" app on your apple or android smartphone

Step 2: at any point within an hour of tipoff, search "gonzaga basketball" on the tunein app, and start listening, including the 1hr pregame show.

Step 3: after the TV video feed begins, you may need to hit the "pause" button on your tunein app (radio), in order to let the TV video (usually slightly behind) catch up to the audio. If you watch the TV using a DVR or something that can pause the video, then you can just pause whichever feed is ahead.

I just plug my phone's headphone feed into a home speaker, and mute the TV volume.

I enjoy listening to what Walton blithers on about - just not an entire game. He could be better paired w/ an announcer who complemented his uniqueness. He and I are the same age so share much of the same historical perspective. I can certainly understand how much younger BB fans could be driven nuts by the guy.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Big fan of Bill Walton, here. My wife enjoys games more when he's rambling on, so I think that's a statement that he provides entertainment value to the common fan. Agree with the statements that Bill's ramblings are just as informative as the paper pushing numbers guys who give stats that don't really matter at any opportunity, or the former, bitter coach who thinks he knows the game better than anyone and is quick to criticize. Bill Walton, for 4 or 5 Zag games per year, is a welcome addition from my perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddwell View Post
    For this fan the immediate sense of "O, no" when Walton is announced as the color commentator (for a game this fan really cares about) is that a fan knows that half of the ensuing conversation will have nothing to do with the ball game, that at some point the TV's volume will be turned down to shut off the relentless blather. If Walton wants to give his views on this & that, celebrate this & that, then maybe ESPN/PAC-12 Network can give him a half-hour show. It's so disrespectful to the game, to the fans (many of whom have been eagerly awaiting the GU v. UW match-up) when he's talking about visits to Belgrade, this food/that food, did you know this geographical/that geographical fact, the relentless putdowns of the play-by-play man, etc. Entire game sequences are ignored while the camera cuts away to Walton pontificating on irrelevances. The game is the star, should be the star, not Bill Walton.

God bless Bill, really. Nonetheless, this fan hopes with his head, heart, and gizzard that Walton won't be doing the AZ game too.

:[
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Look, I know Bill. A terrific person and sweet man. But he was really unprofessional last night with two ranked teams, a great setting, and most of all a great game and his largely ignoring it. A typical UCLA blowout is fine for such antics. Clearly the blame is on ESPN, which thinks that kind of clown show is what CBB fans want. Just wrong. But Bill’s a wonderful guy.

^^^ They get it right ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSERE View Post
    Worse than Bill barking?
    Oh, I forgot about that! Maybe not worse than that! My wife had to ask me, "Was he really just barking there?" I could only shake my head, as it's not the first time I've heard him bark while doing a game. You got me. I'll take Huddy, by the way.

I could listen to his crazy acid flashback rants and laugh. I don't hate him but not interested in missing 1/4 of the game for it

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I like him. If I want exacting information I ask Alexa. I am impressed with the retention level he is able to elicit from his audience with everything he says. People recite him word for word after every game. It's truly amazing. A Marvel. He is the only announcer people remember. Who was the other guy? Don't change Bill. Let Bill be Bill.

Hey, if he is smoking before a call, he's doing better than most heads that age! I love the guy and hope to run into him at a Phish show someday.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Many of you may not like Bill Waton, but like ESPN says he certainly has a following. There are more replies to this thread than any other thread on page one, and over 5,000 views. that's just in only being here for three days.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

NO offense Reborn but a car wreck would do just as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    +++1000 I'm with you Abe!
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post

Speaking of cars, did Bill ever tell you that he owned a VW Bug in college? Took out the driver's seat & drove from the back seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Many of you may not like Bill Waton, but like ESPN says he certainly has a following. There are more replies to this thread than any other thread on page one, and over 5,000 views. that's just in only being here for three days.
    And there it is. Walton's a perfect metaphor for the times we live in. Move on, nothing to see here. For anyone trying to watch a great game and appreciate the sequences of outstanding & then, perhaps, somewhat less than stellar play, it mattered NOTHING to Uncle Bill. The back & forth drama of the scoring runs, the actual PLAY & OUTCOME of the game, Walton denied listeners with his interminable, rheumy, reminiscences of Bill Russell, his glory days, & times long gone by. If the extended gig about his comical standing in the world of cycling (Crash, Ha ha) had something to do with the game we were watching, anything, can someone, anyone, please tell me what it was? Gag me with a spoon.

ESPN has to share the blame here. The game itself, a great matchup, regardless of who's playing, is no longer enough for Disney's marketing dept. Professional announcers, we all know who they are, Sean McDonough comes to mind, but they're plenty of others, are paired with weathered clowns like Vitale and Walton, to what? Enliven the broadcast? Get a clue, dudes. The big question remains: How in hell does Walton squeeze into the car?

Quote Originally Posted by upan8th View Post

ESPN has to share the blame here. The game itself, a great matchup, regardless of who's playing, is no longer enough for Disney's marketing dept. Professional announcers, we all know who they are, Sean McDonough comes to mind, but they're plenty of others, are paired with weathered clowns like Vitale and Walton, to what? Enliven the broadcast? Get a clue, dudes. The big question remains: How in hell does Walton squeeze into the car?
    That is some fine writing, 8th! Seriously...weathered clowns. Priceless. And I thought Steinbeck could tell a story!
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Baker Zagfan View Post
    I could listen to his crazy acid flashback rants and laugh. I don't hate him but not interested in missing 1/4 of the game for it.
    That's the way it is for me. If I'm watching a random college hoop game and don't really care much about the two teams playing, then I love it when Uncle Bill goes off the deep end. But I am a serious Gonzaga fan, and I take their telecasts very seriously (especially in a tight game like we had last Sunday). I don't need Uncle Bill barking at me; I want to know what is happening on the court.

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    I don't need Uncle Bill barking at me; I want to know what is happening on the court.

I think that is what the video portion of the broadcast is for.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Sit....to tell you the truth I seldom know what I am looking at....I just watch the ball most of the time.....I also like to know the running statistics for the teams and individuals.....have you ever been to Addy....??? I have, many times....bart

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Sit.......have you ever been to Addy....??? I have, many times....bart

Had a deer hit me just North of Addy on my way down to a Zags game a few years ago as a matter of fact.

Plus I always slow down to 45 MPH going thru there, just like the sign says. I'm one of the few.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    When I have to turn the sound off, it's sometimes hard to know why there's a break in the action, who the foul is on, etc... but it's still better than listening Walton pontificate about something random while there's game action going on. Huddy and Ammo are better yet. Vitale is annoying but at least he sticks to basketball, for the most part.

Haven't confirmed this: Saw a note on FB that Walton will be calling the Zags vs. Arizona game.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Haven't confirmed this: Saw a note on FB that Walton will be calling the Zags vs. Arizona game.
    I don't see how that can happen. From my other sports board, this is positive confirmation:

UCLA @ Notre Dame, 12:00, ABC - Dave Pasch, Bill Walton, Digger Phelps

also:

8 Gonzaga @ 15 Arizona, 7:00, ESPN2 - Dave Feldman, Sean Farnham

So if Uncle Bill can make it to Tucson from South Bend, Indiana in that time frame, I want to borrow his Star Trek teleporter. Bottom line is that he will NOT be at the Zags game, and we can all rest easy.
    Last edited by SorenTodd45; 12-11-2019 at 05:03 PM. Reason: edit for Pacific standard time

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    I don't see how that can happen. From my other sports board, this is positive confirmation:

UCLA @ Notre Dame, 3:00, ABC - Dave Pasch, Bill Walton, Digger Phelps

also:

8 Gonzaga @ 15 Arizona, 10:00, ESPN2 - Dave Feldman, Sean Farnham

So if Uncle Bill can make it to Tucson from South Bend, Indiana in that time frame, I want to borrow his Star Trek teleporter. Bottom line is that he will NOT be at the Zags game, and we can all rest easy.
    Thank you

Walton was talking about going to Notre Dame during the last broadcast.

Isn't Bill an extradimensional being? I"m pretty sure he can be two places at once. Or maybe he can do astral projection.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Walton was talking about going to Notre Dame during the last broadcast.

Isn't Bill an extradimensional being? I"m pretty sure he can be two places at once. Or maybe he can do astral projection.
    He's like Dr. Manhattan

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    He's like Dr. Manhattan
    No clothes?