• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • UberZagFan
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by PeninsulaDog View Post
    I've noticed that I don't stress as much when Walton is doing Zag games. Maybe it's simply because he's distracting, or off point much of the time, but I think it has more to do with his approach to life which, I think, is really about enjoying the moment. He reminds you that there bigger, more important things than the game at-hand being played. Or that maybe there are smaller things or individuals (on both teams) within the game worth appreciating, whatever the outcome. I don't see how his approach to color work is any more objectionable than guys who regurgitate factoids (How many languages did Ronny Turiaf speak? Did you know Jeremy Pargo likes cheeseburgers?) or state the painfully obvious over and over. He's kind of like Vitale on acid.
    ^^^THIS^^^
    If you can't handle the confusion, stay out of the Foo!

Uber on GuBoards: "Pathetic. We've got posters just sleepwalking through threads."

No Foo for You!

Comment

• ZagaZags
      Banned
      • May 2010

I was watching the UW vs Gonzaga game with my girlfriend. She knows ZERO about basketball. She asked me if the announcers didn't like each other.

Comment

• Bogozags
        Zag for Life
        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by johno View Post
        His comment about the guys dressed in the the foot locker uniforms shutting down Collins in the UNC National Championship game tips the balance in his favor.
        He is right on here!!!

The missed call on May holding the ball with his hand out of bounds and the call against PK are the two that resonate most with me...

Comment

• jazzdelmar
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by johno View Post
          His comment about the guys dressed in the the foot locker uniforms shutting down Collins in the UNC National Championship game tips the balance in his favor.
          There you go. Bill knows bigs.

Comment

• SorenTodd45
            Banned
            • Jan 2019

I see that the blabber-mouth is working the UCLA vs Notre Dame game this Saturday (in South Bend), which means he won't be in Tucson to call the Zags game. Praise the Lord God!

However, he is working the Colorado home game tonight (Pac-12 Network), so I may tune in for a bit just to see what he has to say. Isn't marijuana legal in the state of Colorado?

Comment

• bartruff1
              Zag for Life
              • Jan 2010

It is probably all part of the act but I do not like the way he condescends and belittles his broadcast partners.....of course he knows his basketball and he may be a lovely person off the air but he is a jerk during the broadcasts and unfortunately that is what some of the public enjoys....

He should run for political office.....
              Last edited by bartruff1; 12-10-2019, 06:54 AM.

Comment

• Kiddwell
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Unfair to Teams, to Fans

For this fan the immediate sense of "O, no" when Walton is announced as the color commentator (for a game this fan really cares about) is that a fan knows that half of the ensuing conversation will have nothing to do with the ball game, that at some point the TV's volume will be turned down to shut off the relentless blather. If Walton wants to give his views on this & that, celebrate this & that, then maybe ESPN/PAC-12 Network can give him a half-hour show. It's so disrespectful to the game, to the fans (many of whom have been eagerly awaiting the GU v. UW match-up) when he's talking about visits to Belgrade, this food/that food, did you know this geographical/that geographical fact, the relentless putdowns of the play-by-play man, etc. Entire game sequences are ignored while the camera cuts away to Walton pontificating on irrelevances. The game is the star, should be the star, not Bill Walton.

God bless Bill, really. Nonetheless, this fan hopes with his head, heart, and gizzard that Walton won't be doing the AZ game too.

:[
                Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
                  • Feb 2007

Was it me or were they both coming off as almost rooting for UW at points?
                  "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• Kiddwell
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
                    Was it me or were they both coming off as almost rooting for UW at points?
                    It wasn't just you.

Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Comment

• GonzagasaurusFlex
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Agree w so many others here that Walton’s utter disregard for the game and players at hand in favor of talking ad nauseum about himself is just wrong and seemingly violates all basic tenets ofsports broadcasting 101; nonetheless, I can put up with him much more readily then I can Dakich or Vitale or Bilas. Those 3 are much more irritating and grating to me then Walton is.

Bill Raftery and Fran Fraschilla are currently my two favorite commentators.
                      Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Comment

• LTownZag
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2017

Redundant PSA to listen to Hudson/Morrison on the radio's audio (so good!) and not whatever TV audio there is:

Step 1: download the free "tunein" app on your apple or android smartphone

Step 2: at any point within an hour of tipoff, search "gonzaga basketball" on the tunein app, and start listening, including the 1hr pregame show.

Step 3: after the TV video feed begins, you may need to hit the "pause" button on your tunein app (radio), in order to let the TV video (usually slightly behind) catch up to the audio. If you watch the TV using a DVR or something that can pause the video, then you can just pause whichever feed is ahead.

I just plug my phone's headphone feed into a home speaker, and mute the TV volume.

Comment

• Zagger
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2008

I enjoy listening to what Walton blithers on about - just not an entire game. He could be better paired w/ an announcer who complemented his uniqueness. He and I are the same age so share much of the same historical perspective. I can certainly understand how much younger BB fans could be driven nuts by the guy.

Comment

• CB4
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2009

Big fan of Bill Walton, here. My wife enjoys games more when he's rambling on, so I think that's a statement that he provides entertainment value to the common fan. Agree with the statements that Bill's ramblings are just as informative as the paper pushing numbers guys who give stats that don't really matter at any opportunity, or the former, bitter coach who thinks he knows the game better than anyone and is quick to criticize. Bill Walton, for 4 or 5 Zag games per year, is a welcome addition from my perspective.

Comment

• RenoZag
                              Super Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Kiddwell View Post
                              For this fan the immediate sense of "O, no" when Walton is announced as the color commentator (for a game this fan really cares about) is that a fan knows that half of the ensuing conversation will have nothing to do with the ball game, that at some point the TV's volume will be turned down to shut off the relentless blather. If Walton wants to give his views on this & that, celebrate this & that, then maybe ESPN/PAC-12 Network can give him a half-hour show. It's so disrespectful to the game, to the fans (many of whom have been eagerly awaiting the GU v. UW match-up) when he's talking about visits to Belgrade, this food/that food, did you know this geographical/that geographical fact, the relentless putdowns of the play-by-play man, etc. Entire game sequences are ignored while the camera cuts away to Walton pontificating on irrelevances. The game is the star, should be the star, not Bill Walton.

God bless Bill, really. Nonetheless, this fan hopes with his head, heart, and gizzard that Walton won't be doing the AZ game too.

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                              Look, I know Bill. A terrific person and sweet man. But he was really unprofessional last night with two ranked teams, a great setting, and most of all a great game and his largely ignoring it. A typical UCLA blowout is fine for such antics. Clearly the blame is on ESPN, which thinks that kind of clown show is what CBB fans want. Just wrong. But Bill’s a wonderful guy.

^^^ They get it right ^^^
                              The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• Billfish'80
                                Kennel Club Material
                                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by IowaSERE View Post
                                Worse than Bill barking?
                                Oh, I forgot about that! Maybe not worse than that! My wife had to ask me, "Was he really just barking there?" I could only shake my head, as it's not the first time I've heard him bark while doing a game. You got me. I'll take Huddy, by the way.

Comment

Working...
                                X