Florida State @ #6 Florida 10:00am ESPN
    Youngstown St @ #5 Louisville 11:00am ACCNX
    Alabama State @ Missouri State Noon
    Detroit Mercy @ NC State 1:00pm ACCNX
    James Madison @ #11 Virginia . 3:00pm ESPNU
    Binghamton @ #1 Michigan St . 4:00pm . BTN
    Illinois @ #21 Arizona 6:00pm . PAC12

Complete Schedule: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...91110/group/50
    Last edited by RenoZag; 11-10-2019 at 07:24 AM.

Default Gaels, Gaels!

Great to see Saint Mary's hang tough vs. Wisconsin. A good test of resolve and determination, which may be the same thing.

:]

<Also Kiddwell liked the venue they played in. Great facility for a low-population state. Maybe the Zags will play there one early upcoming season.>
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

It was good to see St. Marys win but Ford had to play all 40 minutes of the game and all 5 minutes of overtime. I think they are a good team but when playing a tough team, their bench is
    very thin. I thought that Pepperdine would do better after all the preseason hype. They let Cal shoot 70 percent ( I hear) and lost by double digits. BYU looked better defensively but will
    need to shoot a whole lot better at 3 pt. range considering their frontcourt has been decimated by injury and NCAA over the top harsh penalty against Childs.

The sleeper team to watch will be Santa Clara. They have 5 players listed at 6-9 or taller plus tall guards and wings and return most of their scoring power from last year. They really are the only team in the conference that can match Gonzaga's size.
    DJ Mitchell from Wake Forest is now eligible and he led them in scoring last night. I watched some of the clips and he is impressive. He is very athletic and can shoot the ball from deep or take it to the rim. They have three impressive freshman that will surprise many, in fact, all three of them scored in double figures. I could easily see them being second best in conference. They have more depth and size than Pepperdine, St. Marys and BYU.
    Just remember, you heard it first here. Check out these hilights - https://www.santaclarabroncos.com/sports/m-baskbl/index

Having said that, I am prepared to eat crow if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantua View Post
    He sure can. It was fun to see Tyrese Maxey turned loose in MSG.
    If he coached 1/3rd as good as he recruits he'd have a ton of Nattys.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by CPkZagFan View Post
    It was good to see St. Marys win but Ford had to play all 40 minutes of the game and all 5 minutes of overtime. I think they are a good team but when playing a tough team, their bench is
    very thin. I thought that Pepperdine would do better after all the preseason hype. They let Cal shoot 70 percent ( I hear) and lost by double digits. BYU looked better defensively but will
    need to shoot a whole lot better at 3 pt. range considering their frontcourt has been decimated by injury and NCAA over the top harsh penalty against Childs.

The sleeper team to watch will be Santa Clara. They have 5 players listed at 6-9 or taller plus tall guards and wings and return most of their scoring power from last year. They really are the only team in the conference that can match Gonzaga's size.
    DJ Mitchell from Wake Forest is now eligible and he led them in scoring last night. I watched some of the clips and he is impressive. He is very athletic and can shoot the ball from deep or take it to the rim. They have three impressive freshman that will surprise many, in fact, all three of them scored in double figures. I could easily see them being second best in conference. They have more depth and size than Pepperdine, St. Marys and BYU.
    Just remember, you heard it first here. Check out these hilights - https://www.santaclarabroncos.com/sports/m-baskbl/index

Having said that, I am prepared to eat crow if necessary.

SMC played like crap last night but still good enough to win despite the foul situation and having a starter out and 2 bigs disabled for the game.

SMC went 10 deep last night. This is the deepest team ever. And you think they are thin?

By the way to you and a couple others that think "GU should roll the Gaels", this is the same team (actually much stronger) than the team that won the WCC Tourney (and the same team that lost to GU by 48). Before you start spouting, you might want to at least consider that SMC "may/might on a lucky day with pockets full of rabbits feet have a little chance of giving GU a game." I know you are a newbie so you might want to read and take in what most of your numerous GU posters have to say about the respect these two teams have for each other.
    Teams on paper look great. But gotta' play the game. Last night for the Gaels--not so much. But I think the Gaels just might be okay and GU is always more than okay.

edit: and by the way, the Gaels go 7'3", 7'1", 6'10", 6'8", 6'8" with 6'7" wings and very good sized guards.

Great SMC win for seeding. Wisky not what they were was under Bo but will pull a few B10 upsets and their brand still resonates. Great and ballsy first game scheduling, unlike.....

Poor Roy. . .has to deal with inexperienced five star recruits vs. an experienced Notre Dame squad. . .

I suspect he VA vs. SYR game will be the best of this lot this evening

It's so bizarre to me that a handful of ACC teams are playing a conference game for their season debut. I doubt the coaches are happy about this arrangement.

Tar Heels pulling away from the Irish; up 11 with 6 minutes to go

Cole Anthony's Stats: 34 points, 11 boards, 5 Asst, 4 TO, 1 steal. If I read the TV graphics correctly, it was the best scoring debut in UNC program history.
    Last edited by RenoZag; 11-06-2019 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Tar Heels pulling away from the Irish; up 11 with 6 minutes to go

Cole Anthony's Stats: 34 points, 11 boards, 5 Asst, 4 TO, 1 steal. If I read the TV graphics correctly, it was the best scoring debut in UNC program history.
    Was his obnoxious father coaching him from the sidelines like he did all through high school?

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Was his obnoxious father coaching him from the sidelines like he did all through high school?
    Quite a few shots of him in the stands during the telecast. . .he's no Sonya Curry. . .

Slow start for Arizona, but getting it going. Certainly more talent on hand this year than last. Nice trio of Fr. in Mannion, Green and Nnaji.

Cavaliers vs. Orange: First team to 50 wins ?

91-52 final Arizona. I'm not making any bold predictions, just that they are better than last year. Interesting mix of veterans and youth. Several transfers to go along w/ the freshmen, very different look for them this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada Don View Post
    SMC "may/might on a lucky day with pockets full of rabbits feet have a little chance of giving GU a game."
    Pomeroy seems to think so. He's got SMC winning the February game.

Good to see they bounced back after the close one against Chico State -- was thinking it would take them a bit longer to put things together. Want them undefeated when we get to play them.

Quote Originally Posted by GU69 View Post
    Pomeroy seems to think so. He's got SMC winning the February game.
    Don't put much stock into Pomeroy after 1 game. Predictive rankings like that need a larger sample size before things start falling into place.

Thanks again for these threads Reno.

I really enjoy reading others comments on these games and impressions of the teams playing; gives a nice overview of the D1 men’s hoops landscape.

Had no idea Greg Anthony is annoying as a parent at his kids games. Too bad, I always liked him as a commentator.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

After the kid left Molloy in NYC for the prep route his dad was a presence at every game and sort of an unofficial asst coach for Cole. After each timeout he, the dad, would go running out to pull the kid away from the team abd offer his own pearls of wisdom. Clearly that was OK for the actual coach who was grateful Cole was on his team.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post

I really enjoy reading others comments on these games and impressions of the teams playing; gives a nice overview of the D1 men’s hoops landscape.

Had no idea Greg Anthony is annoying as a parent at his kids games. Too bad, I always liked him as a commentator.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post

Always thought he was pretty knowledgeable too! Loved watching him play at UNLV...one of the best of all time IMO

neither team could even score 50 points, collectively the two teams shot 30% so it appears to have been a game of no basket ball
    The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something.

Seattle U visits WSU this evening at 6:00pm. PAC12 network.
    That's the game I will be watching; mostly because of the announcers. It will be Greg Heister and Dan Dickau on the call.
    IF YOU ZAG, PLEASE DON'T ZIG

I said the exact same thing verbatim, out loud (even though I was the only person in the house!).
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

This just in: "Cole Anthony is good at basketball"

Quote Originally Posted by ProVeeZag View Post
    I said the exact same thing verbatim, out loud (even though I was the only person in the house!).
    Well, when there's no one else around sometimes you have to talk to yourself.