Page 106 of 121 FirstFirst ... 65696102103104105106107108109110116 ... LastLast
Results 2,626 to 2,650 of 3010

Thread: Other Game Threads Graveyard v1

Dix, most poetic description of Jefferson.

Extract from John F. Kennedy's Remarks at a Dinner Honoring Nobel Prize Winners of the Western Hemisphere. I think this is the most extraordinary collection of talent, of human knowledge, that has ever been gathered together at the White House, with the possible exception of when Thomas Jefferson dined alone.

When I was at a Phish show at Hampton Coliseum, it was the W&M kids who had the highest quality -ahem- stuff. Seems related and relevant?
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Any university responsible for Thomas Jefferson's education has something that no other school could ever claim.

Ole TJ was not just a great political science theorist, great architect, great farmer/planter, great librarian (Jeez, when your library becomes the base for the library of Congress, that's rather "good.") essentially robbed France of half the United States, and sent Lewis and Clark to "figure out what's out there" and founded UVA, 2nd best public school in America, that's a pretty-well rounded guy.

Aside. I read something amazing. The mid to late 1700s was the last period in which it was possible for one man to know the entirety of knowledge of society, science, geography, philosophy, etc. TJ probably came close, Ben Franklin, too.
    Dixiezag is my consistently favorite forum contributor. I expect his basketball and non basketball content would earn high marks from a wide range of forum users.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Going down fighting for the Tribe, Reno.

Alma Mater of the Nation
    William & Mary has been called the Alma Mater of the Nation because of its close ties to America's founding fathers. A 17-year-old George Washington received his surveyor's license through W&M and would return as its first American chancellor. Thomas Jefferson received his undergraduate education here, as did presidents John Tyler and James Monroe.

W&M is famous for its firsts: the first U.S. institution with a Royal Charter, the first Greek-letter society (Phi Beta Kappa, founded in 1776), the first student honor code, the first college to become a university and the first law school in America.

William & Mary became a state-supported school in 1906 and went coed in 1918. In 1928, John D. Rockefeller, Jr. chose the Wren Building as the first to be returned to its 18th-century appearance as part of the iconic Colonial Williamsburg restoration.
    I believe W&M does have the record for the longest stretch without making the NCAA Tournament; 326 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Thought U Penn was first University

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    Dixiezag is my consistently favorite forum contributor. I expect his basketball and non basketball content would earn high marks from a wide range of forum users.
    Nice of you, you'd also find that many would find a wide range of forum users would consider my BS unmatched. That's alright.

Kitz - Amazing stat about W&M not making tourney, long stretch, but Thomas Jefferson could've gotten them there a few times. He could probably coach some guys up.

This is a great thread.

From Wiki:

Historically, when the Philippines was still a United States territory, the University of Santo Tomas (established in 1611) was considered as the oldest university under the American flag.

Several universities claim to be the first university in the United States:

Harvard University, founded in 1636, claims to be "the oldest institution of higher education in the United States". The claim of being "the first university" has been made on its behalf by others.[3] An early official mention of Harvard as "the University" is found in the Massachusetts Constitution, first submitted on October 28, 1779, by James Bowdoin, Samuel Adams, and John Adams.[4]

The University of Pennsylvania, established in 1740,[note 1] considers itself to be America's first university, a title it claims on its website and in other published materials.[5] The university has published a book about being the first university in America,[6] and its website contains numerous instances of the phrase "America's First University".[7]

The College of William and Mary's website states, "The College of William and Mary was the first college to become a university (1779)."[8]

Johns Hopkins University opened in 1876 and claims to be "America's first research university" (emphasis added).
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

the two ivy games should be very interesting...both good teams capable of winning on the road.

Ole TJ was not just a great political science theorist, great architect, great farmer/planter, great librarian (Jeez, when your library becomes the base for the library of Congress, that's rather "good.") essentially robbed France of half the United States, and sent Lewis and Clark to "figure out what's out there" and founded UVA, 2nd best public school in America, that's a pretty-well rounded guy.
    Who is the best public university? UCLA?
    MCMM 2020: Who Wants Some Cheese?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    Yes, per US News....

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges...ies/top-public

Caveat, TJ wasn’t all hearts, coronets and Monticello. Just saying....

Bowdoin, now there’s a wonderful school.....

Thanks Reno!

Go Dons
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

I would think Eli is favored.

When two Zag OOC teams play each other, what result does GU more good? A win by the higher ranked team?

I would think we always want the higher ranked team to win, so we have more quality wins.

[QUOTE=jazzdelmar;1491871]Caveat, TJ wasn’t all hearts, coronets and Monticello. Just saying....

Thank you Jazz. He's on my Mt. Rushmore, but had some serious warts (like us all).

QUOTE]
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    The University of California, main campus, Berkeley, of course.

That is entirely biased, but I am not the only one who's made the argument.

And, it was the school that Jazz referenced playing Harvard in the "SAT Bowl"

At one point I had read:

Cal
    UVA
    UCLA
    Michigan
    Wisconsin

As top 5.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

They're wrong.

Berkeley/UCLA - splitting atoms there. UCLA's campus is better, Berkeley's atmosphere is better. One is going to do just fine at either school.
    Mark Twain.

[QUOTE=sittingon50;1491951]
    Caveat, TJ wasn’t all hearts, coronets and Monticello. Just saying....

Thank you Jazz. He's on my Mt. Rushmore, but had some serious warts (like us all).

QUOTE]
    O/T, if you have the opportunity, visit Monticello. There's a gentleman who's been TJ's "interpreter" for nearly 40 years. He was at Monticello last summer, and I was mesmerized listening to him for nearly 90 minutes. It was like time traveling back to the 18th Century.

I asked him a question, if he agreed with George Mason's definition of a "militia".

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials."
    He replied affirmatively, but went into great detail, offering a common sense perspective. He also added he was a close friend of Mason, and was there at his deathbed when Mason passed away.

The mid to late 1700s was the last period in which it was possible for one man to know the entirety of knowledge of society, science, geography, philosophy, etc. TJ probably came close, Ben Franklin, too.
    I believe Facebook Chairman & CEO Mark Zuckerberg would argue he himself is a very close 3rd.
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Villanova 21
    Xavier 10

9:43, 1H

Quote Originally Posted by ProVeeZag View Post
    I believe Facebook Chairman & CEO Mark Zuckerberg would argue he himself is a very close 3rd.
    Zuckerberg would know more than they could have even imagined.....so would any teenager staring at his phone …... even Alexa would....

Knowledge expands exponentially every minute ….

Yale 28
    UNC 32 . HALF

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Zuckerberg would know more than they could have even imagined.....so would any teenager staring at his phone …... even Alexa would....

Well played sir!
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post

If Google and Apple have their way, very soon one will not even need to stare at the phone, the phone will be inside one's head, or "Apple Contacts" at best, and kids 50 years from now won't know what a phone is.

The Borg had it right all along, resistance really is futile.
    Mark Twain.

Harvard 30
    USF 28 . HALFTIME

EWU 30
    Idaho State 37 HALF

FINAL:

TAMU 58
    TXSO 55