Thread: Withers:"GU-UW: Where's the snark?"

Default Withers:"GU-UW: Where's the snark?"

This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Great piece.

It all changed on an early-December night in 1998 at Spokane Arena, when Gonzaga won, 82-71. That would be Gonzaga’s liftoff year, and it was a UW team that had gone to the Sweet 16 the previous season. Jeremy Eaton had 25 points and Richie Frahm 21 for Gonzaga. For the Huskies, Todd MacCulloch had 28, but they were without injured guard Donald Watts.
    I went to that game with my dad. I had applied to Gonzaga already (because Gonzaga had early action) and planned on applying to UW. UW was where I wanted to go to college. After that game I changed my mind. I never even applied to UW and decided I wanted to be a bulldog.
    Bring back the OCC

I was at that game as well, couldn't believe AMMO's jumper from the corner rimmed out, and Mallon couldn't get the put back up. Oh well..............12 out of 13 is nothing to sneeze at. Like Bud says, not much of a rivalry when one team wins all the time.

13 out of 14 coming up....................Book it!!

Go ZAGS

Another great pice from Bud. How lucky are we as a fan base to have a world-class sportswriter who dedicates so much of his time to writing about our team?

Thanks Bud (whoever you are :-) )

ZZ

Bud "gets it" in my opinion. He has a tactful way of writing that touches on subjects that Gonzaga brass may be uncomfortable with, but in an informative and factual way. IMO, the next big "snark" with UW will be when UW wants to naturally play a few games against Gonzaga in the new Seattle arena and split the revenue...

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    Bud "gets it" in my opinion. He has a tactful way of writing that touches on subjects that Gonzaga brass may be uncomfortable with, but in an informative and factual way. IMO, the next big "snark" with UW will be when UW wants to naturally play a few games against Gonzaga in the new Seattle arena and split the revenue...
    I said it at the time of the 'Key' proposal...I am in favor of it.

An absolute 50/50 split of the tickets, center court each way, so both teams get a 'behind the basket'. For the Gonzaga 'home' game, UW has to stay in motels, in Spokane, the week before, fly to UW the night before the game and stay in a motel/hotel there (no conjugal visits either) and has to fly back to Spokane after the game.

Make it an away game for the huskies.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    I said it at the time of the 'Key' proposal...I am in favor of it.

An absolute 50/50 split of the tickets, center court each way, so both teams get a 'behind the basket'. For the Gonzaga 'home' game, UW has to stay in motels, in Spokane, the week before, fly to UW the night before the game and stay in a motel/hotel there (no conjugal visits either) and has to fly back to Spokane after the game.

Make it an away game for the huskies.
    It'd be cool to include a new Seattle arena game against every few years in the UW series. But I envision Gonzaga wanting to stick with the home/home series with UW and then reviving their Battle in Seattle game. The Battle in Seattle, scheduled right after students get out of school and head back home to Seattle, was among the best things going for a while!