Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GU vs Washington - Predictions/Thoughts/What you do hope to see

The hallmark of a second class person is the resentment of another's success-R.W. Emerson
    Whatever you focus your mind on grows, grow a rose garden and not a weed patch-Dr Paul

Very good article ZB. One thing that's continuing to bug me is the idea that Ayayai can't shoot well (he's 52% from the floor and 42% from 3) or that Woolridge is a poor shooter ( 50% from the floor and 58.8% from 3) . Both very good. Admon is lagging but the other two are getting it done.
    Control Stewart, play defense, and we win this one going away.
    I can well imagine playing at Hec Ed will be a big disadvantage for us. We need those 3 V's. Hope everyone is healthy.

Go Zags ! Beat the Huskies.
    GU - 81 UW - 78
    Was hoping for a fan bus like 2 years ago........

Why does this game need to be up against the Seahawks game???? WHY????
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Well there must be a very good reason(s)…...I imagine that will hurt attendance as well....

given GU's attendance articles out recently, i wont throw stones in that glass house.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

thanks to all for the scouting reports on UW. I haven't seen them play this year. sounds like recognizing their defense might be key, so defending our own goal to rebounding and run to beat their D down the floor always a good thing. the baseline has been available from the high-lo attacking the Hopkins zone when it's extended in the past, but gotta finish plays strong thru contact and at FT line or it's like a turnover. true road game, true gut check

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Hawks game kicks off 1 hour 40 minutes after tip off. Hopefully zags will be comfortably in command by then

96 -76 Zags rule!

So what's gonna be the storyline here? Underdog Fusskies seize the chance to prove they're a legitimate top twenty team & ferociously attack the unprepared Zags? Come away with a marquee win? Been watching lots of Bball this season & one thing noted: There are no dominant teams. No one with a dominant inside game, no one with dead-eye 3 point shooters, & certainly no teams executing coaching strategies separating them from other ranking teams. Home courts seem to be wielding traditional advantages. Amused when posters say about teams like UW & AZ, "Don't worry about them. I saw them play against (EWU, Pepperdine) and they suck."

My question: Zags vs Michigan. Got blown out. So Zags suck? Michigan gets blown out by Louisville. Michigan sucks? No. It means there's a lot of parity between a bunch of top contenders. Is UDub one of them? The jury's still out. But, the actual fact is, the Zags have ONE quality win on their resume so far. In front of a frenzied, let's-get-even-after-all-these-years crowd in Seattle, and, most important, a shrinking betting line from pros who know, I'm thinking, okay Zags, show me whutcha got. And it'll be pretty much what I expected from this young team in an uber-hostile environment: Fusskies 73 Zags 71. Fans rush the court. That's gotta be worth something, I mean, in terms of respect, right?

Zags 74
    Dawgs 67
    The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something.

Zags 74
    udump - 68

Default For Huskies, how they do against the Zags now defines their season

Most of Seattle's attention is focused on Seahawks/Rams game. Don't sense a lot of interest or awareness about the Zags/Huskies game except among the Zags alums/families and the limited segment of UW alums that follow their MBB team. The build-up in press coverage has been minimal. Of course The Seattle Times has a story on first page of Sports section today, but that is the only "long form" article I've seen from them in the lead up to today's game.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/...inish-the-job/

Article gives very little analysis of this year's teams except to point out the obvious, namely, that this is now a very emotional, season-defining game for UW and that UW team this year has better overall height and size in the front court to match GU's height and size than Husky teams that lost to Zags in recent years. The article mostly relies on former players Dominic Green and David Crisp to define the "rivalry."

Crisp played against GU four times and lost each time: "I'd be lying if I said not beating Gonzaga burns me up . . . that team had our number every time. I have to live with that. And I don't wish that on no Husky."

Expect the Huskies to come out with lots of emotion. Will be physical and grabby on defense and overplay our guards trying to get steals and show-time runouts. Zags need to "saw wood" as Coach Few likes to say when approaching these grinder games. Stay poised, limit TOs, understand how refs are calling the game, get zone penetration with passes in the middle and along baseline, hit some 3s, don't get outmuscled on the boards, and finish hard at the rim on layups and putbacks. Some old fashioned, chip-on-the-shoulder intensity is definitely called for.

Zags by 3.

I don't like trying to pick this game... it just seems like a tough one because of the rivalry aspects. I think it will be close again.

Zags 78
    Huskies 76
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

I'm seeing a repeat of last time in Alaska Airlines Arena.

Gonzaga 97
    UW 70
    Bring back the OCC

I hope to see us be patient and take good shots against the zone. If we do that we should win. If not we could get smacked. Zags 78-71

GU 77-71

Quote Originally Posted by johno View Post
    96 -76 Zags rule!
    Yeah, that’s what I like to see! ESPN has the Zags as a 73.2% fav for the game. My prediction has our dogs as a 15 pt fav. Good to see someone going for 20 pts
    I think the loss to Michigan is/was motivational. This group of Zags are going to have to dig deep to shine for the season. I believe they have it in them. Both Ryan & Admon have only this season to get into Zag lore. From what I’ve seen in interviews and the Mark Few Show they have the character - just need a bit more fire. Nothing like a cross state rivalry to give the fire the billows! Go Zags!
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post

I'm seeing a repeat of last time in Alaska Airlines Arena.

Gonzaga 97
    UW 70
    YeeHaw! And Bell is back
    Go Zags!
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

75-72 GU

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Won't need a ton of threes to beat UW. Tillie will be key. Zags have the perfect guy to wreck the zone. If they use Tillie at the free throw line in the middle of that zone he can pick them apart with passes to the wings, high/low action to Petrusev and Timme and shooting his own fifteen to eighteen footers. Once he makes an initial decision, Tillie can step to a wing for a three or dive to the low post. The guy is one of the smartest basketball decision makers I've ever seen. I really think he is healthy now, he just needs to play without fear of getting hurt.

I also think this may be the game for the transfer guards to shine. They have both shown the ability to penetrate. I think they can penetrate and kick. Hopefully Kispert gets a few clean looks from that action and knocks down just enough threes to buttress the Zags offensive efficiency.

Impossible to predict. That's why I don't do it. But, the Zags are in pretty good shape here unless I've totally missed the mark.
    Tillie is a smart dude.

Great game.....I was wrong but excited to see a super win....the best team won...

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Tillie is a smart dude.
    and the baseline was where
    lots of holes in the UW zone along that baseline to feed

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    I'm anxious to see LIZF's spreadsheet handle this!

The place will be packed. Huskies will be motivated and prepared. Zags are the better team.

I think Zags prevail.

Zags 82

Huskies 75
    It isn't. I enjoy the whacky ones... but won't actually put them in as it would skew numbers too much.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by bballbeachbum View Post
    and the baseline was where
    lots of holes in the UW zone along that baseline to feed
    Yes. That was a good call. I remember your observation and meant to give a thumbs up on your original post.