Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: GU vs Washington - Predictions/Thoughts/What you do hope to see

Default GU vs Washington - Predictions/Thoughts/What you do hope to see

Zags travel to the west side to match up with 7-1 Washington. Huskies one loss was to #21 Tennessee.

What are you expecting to see on Sunday? What are you hoping to see? Thoughts? Predictions?

Have at it boys and girls!
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Gonzaga 59,000,000,000,0000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000
    The other team: 6
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Predictions:

We: 68
    They: 65

What I want to see:

A healthy Watson playing and Gilder actually living up to his potential.

I think this is going to be a real watershed game for the guys, and is a potential must-win if we want to get a protected seed. Especially after that OU/UNC game, we really can't risk any L's to even above-average teams right now, since a W over UNC isn't going to carry the same weight as before. I think they're starting to play like a top-15 team again after that Michigan debacle (it's crazy what a bit of rest does for such a tight rotation).

75-69 Zags
    It's not funny.

Zags 71

UW 68

I want to see us shoot the 3 ball much much better. Against their match-up zone it will be necessary.

I would like to see Watson but doubt we will. I think that injury is another 10 days.

I would love to see Tillie take more ownership of this team, he's the best player, the leader, I want him whipping them into Zag ball, same with Corey.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Eastern (who has a decent team) hung with Udub for most of the 1st half. Score was EWU 80 - UW 90. Eastern attempted over 30 3s making 10-ish. Got to think UW is not that good of a defensive team. 90 is the Huskies highest score this season (https://gohuskies.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=474). So .....

I believe the Zags will do well against the Huskies.

Zags 90
    UW 75

What I hope to see ..... our guards doing well and Tillie breaking loose for 30!
    Having FTs over 70% too please

ugh. this one is gonna be a tough one.

Bad dogs: 67
    Good dogs: 66

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    Eastern (who has a decent team) hung with Udub for most of the 1st half. Score was EWU 80 - UW 90. Eastern attempted over 30 3s making 10-ish. Got to think UW is not that good of a defensive team. 90 is the Huskies highest score this season (https://gohuskies.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=474). So .....
    I thought the same thing when I watched Oregon bash UTA for a zillion. Then UTA came to the Kennel 2 or so days later and made it tough on us. So I'm not sure that transitive thing is relevant with EWU/UW

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    Eastern attempted over 30 3s making 10-ish
    I saw some of those highlights. Heck of a game plan i guess lol.

I really have no idea what to expect cause right now I have no expectations with this team. I think we could win it but also kinda just hope we dont get rolled.

I watched most of the EWU/UW game. This was second time that I've watched a Husky game this year. EWU hit more FGs than UW but lost on FTs. UW had twice as many FTs and outscored EWU in FTs by 14 points or so.

My impressions of UW:

Their offense seems to rely on individual play and looking for flashy chances to dunk. Has the feel of Romar's style of letting the team freelance and try to score based on athleticism/show time moves.

They like to drive to create contact. We have to be careful about reacting late and committing fouls.

Their bigs have bulk (although we match up height-wise just fine). But, if we should be able to rebound if we play with a composed, grinder mindset. A lot could depend on how the game is officiated. Can the team remain poised if UW is allowed to push/grab/bang freely -- could make a big difference.

Our suspect FT shooting needs to improve because UW doesn't mind fouling if player can't hit FTs.

They are very hands-y/annoying on defense (like an SEC or Big 12 team).

Their well-known zone D is pretty good because they have length and can defend the perimeter well. We probably won't get easy looks at 3s. We need to find a way to get quick penetration or passes to middle before the defense can shift.

I have watched all the Huskies games for the last few years, at least those provided by Comcast Infinity.
    While Hopkins runs a tight system on defense, which takes a long time to learn, his offense seems to have some of the Romar 'let my athletes play' type of offense, but he is far more capable (and agreeable to my sensibilities) than Lorenzo. They seem to be using man to man defense about 1/4 of the time this year, while in the last two years I never saw it at all. They have 3 MacDonald boys, and lots of length and athleticism. Like last year their defense will present challenges to us. Their defense is tight, their offense seems loose to me, and we can get a lot of turnovers if we can draw charging fouls. Lord help the player who absorbs a charging foul from Stewart, however. As I mentioned recently in another post Isaiah Stewart is the real deal, I am glad he's only 18 and still learning his way. He has unlimited potential in the NBA and I would be amazed if he and Mcdaniels are not in the NBA next year. Thank goodness, but we still have to play them this year. Carter is a tall guard who moves like he's 6'3" and looks like he's 6'8" and plays a lot above the rim (if I am using that expression correctly) , and the announcer at their recent game stated at this point in the season he thinks Carter is the most athletic player in the Pac12. He runs and jumps all over the place, loves to pick off passes between opposing guards (maybe he thinks he is the new Matisse Thybulle) but can get wild when driving into the paint.
    We win if we stay zags and run our systems without getting too flustered - I am so glad we have played a close game, I imagine this will be another one. Stay within ourselves, and we get the win (I hope - I know we are supposed to be predicting, not wishing)
    69 zags
    66 UW

Gonzaga no match for the Huskies at home especially without Watson.....UW 82....Gonzaga 74...

What I would hope to see is Gonzaga make about 15 threes and 15 free throws and prove me wrong...

GU. 81
    Dub 77
    Keeping real estate real in the Wenatchee Valley since 1991.

Caution... Bumps ahead. Like Bartruff said above - hopefully our guards can get hot and we can get a bunch of 3's to open up the offense and pull out a win.

GU 79
    UW 85

I think I predicted they lose to UW in the preseason thread but now for some reason not based in fact or observation I think the Zags will blow UW out of the arena, led by Kispert and Ayayi with Petru putting up 15+ and Tillie doing the same.

82-73 Zags

Zags 87-76

Go!! Zags!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Uw 87

Zags 78
    Love the zags for life

Won't need a ton of threes to beat UW. Tillie will be key. Zags have the perfect guy to wreck the zone. If they use Tillie at the free throw line in the middle of that zone he can pick them apart with passes to the wings, high/low action to Petrusev and Timme and shooting his own fifteen to eighteen footers. Once he makes an initial decision, Tillie can step to a wing for a three or dive to the low post. The guy is one of the smartest basketball decision makers I've ever seen. I really think he is healthy now, he just needs to play without fear of getting hurt.

I also think this may be the game for the transfer guards to shine. They have both shown the ability to penetrate. I think they can penetrate and kick. Hopefully Kispert gets a few clean looks from that action and knocks down just enough threes to buttress the Zags offensive efficiency.

Impossible to predict. That's why I don't do it. But, the Zags are in pretty good shape here unless I've totally missed the mark.

I think that the fact that TILLIE, Petrusev and Timme can all do damage from the free throw line area by either shooting or passing will be the doom of UW. Add in the extra incentive for Kispert to play well close to home and I think that this will be fun for ZAGS fans.
    Good dogs 89
    Mutts 72

Nice banter on this thread. I like.

Been tossing this one around.... tough game to call. But I will.

Zag 85
    UW 77
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Us 84
    Them 78

Hoping Anton can go on Sunday. We need his athletic skills up against their bigs.

Zags should be rested up by Sunday and much closer to full speed (with notable exception of Watson). Too many offensive weapons for Huskies to contain, especially if the treys are falling for Corey, Killian, etal. Hope to see 6 Zags in double figures in points at a minimum, no more than 10 turnovers. I see Tillie having a big night, something along the lines of 18 pts and 10 boards. Hope Gilder Jr. can contribute more than he has been lately.

BULLDOGS 86
    HUSKIES 76
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

75-65 Zags

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Zags 72 - other team 68.
    I would like to see a well oiled defense by the Zags, and a healthy Watson.
    “People have an uncanny ability to make me think I am smarter than I really am. Human Beings bring me back to reality.” S.T.