Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gonzaga vs Texas Southern Post Game thoughts and analysis

Default Texas thing

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    Maybe it’s a Texas deal (???)
    Maybe, but even if there is some Texas connection, his behavior has no place in the game. One of these days he is going to get a technical. He is lucky that he didn't get one the last time he did the same thing. The coaching staff was really unhappy with him the first time he did it, but they didn't seem to see what he had done this time.

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    Filip weighs 236.

There's no way he's ever going to compete in the NBA or overseas at a weight of 256 or 266. Maybe 245-250 tops.

People who have never tried to simply "put on 20 to 30 pounds more" (of muscle, while exercising extreme amounts, and while being a 17-30yr old male) don't understand how hard this would be.

For reference, Zach Collins has really seriously bulked up in 3 years since GU, and he has gained just 14lb. (235-249) That's on a taller frame than Petrusev has to work from, and starting from a "skinnier" base.

I agree that Pet would benefit from being stronger, but mostly in his hands with the ball near the basket. His NBA stock would most improve if he showed an outside shot. Not being NBA-ready now is simply not a draft hangup that you think it is. Collins and Markkanen seem like Pet's best comps in the league. Both are 7 footers in the ~245 weight range. They can both hit from midrange or 3, Collins a much better athlete and defender. Both were top-10 picks. Petrusev likely a late first rounder.
    Anthony Davis is 35 lbs bigger than he was at Kentucky. Shaq was reported to have gained as much as 70 lbs and contrary to most people just spouting off, maintained and eventually lowered his body fat % while doing it. Even Collins is reportedly up more than 10 lbs in less than three years (the idea that he isn't going to gain another 10 to 20 pounds in the next 8 years is a little hard to believe). Looking at big guys from 2012 range, it looks to me most of them eventually gained 20 to 25 lbs. There were a few guys (Drew Gordon for example) that were pretty big to begin with and haven't gained weight, but just the maturation difference from 18 to 20 vs 28 to 30 is going to be a decent amount of muscle mass. Unless we are talking long distance runners or something.

If you are saying Pet isn't going to gain 25 pounds by next year, then you are absolutely right. If you are saying that Pet won't eventually play professional ball at 256 to 261 lbs, I think the data is against you. That should be his goal to maintain his equivalent size against his peers that will go with him to the NBA.

But I agree, proving his outside shot (something that was bragged about from his HS days) is his top priority for the league. The NBA will put him in a weight room and he will age and get bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Snagglezag View Post
    Agreed. He's not there, yet. He needs to study Sabonis' sophomore year. That's what it's going to take. Take no prisoners!
    In a million galaxies, Petro could never approach The Bonus. On heart alone. Zbo, maybe. Sacre, maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    Petrusev has every intention of going pro after the season.

He had a "2 year plan" from the very beginning. That was the plan he set for himself and with the team.

He's as good as gone, & I've been told that by more than one source.

I suppose the only thing to keep him here next season would be chance at a Nat'l Championship type season...or a low draft stock, yet after he dominates in WCC play he will be a Top 25 type pick.

Remember, GU bigs are trending in NBA circles right now, and he had international experience, which is an advantage for post players
    Dominating in WCC play is not a criteria NBA GM's use as a metric. Predicting a Top 25 pick based on thrashing Matthias Tass, Parker Dortch and Amari McCray is pretty bold. In fact, I am guessing he will have a difficult time against Jimbo Lull.

I haven't seen a mock draft that puts Filip anywhere close to the first round. It could happen. I wouldn't bet on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Dominating in WCC play is not a criteria NBA GM's use as a metric. Predicting a Top 25 pick based on thrashing Matthias Tass, Parker Dortch and Amari McCray is pretty bold. In fact, I am guessing he will have a difficult time against Jimbo Lull.

I haven't seen a mock draft that puts Filip anywhere close to the first round. It could happen. I wouldn't bet on it.
    If anything his bona fides have drifted south since the great Duke game and some others early on last season. Very nice college big.

Default Answer to your question

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzdb8 View Post
    Zakharov literally stood over an opponent who fell to the floor and taunted him after a made bucket but you choose to single out Woolridge for "barking" at the opposing bench? Interesting.
    That's because (1) I was at the game; (2) I was not in the stands when the play you mentioned with Zakharov took place; (3) because I was not in the stands, I didn't see it; and (4) if I had seen it, I would have included that. So I didn't "choose" to single out Wooldridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzdb8 View Post
    Zakharov literally stood over an opponent who fell to the floor and taunted him after a made bucket but you choose to single out Woolridge for "barking" at the opposing bench? Interesting.
    I find it interesting that you want to key on Zakharov & Woolridge as if nobody else did anything like that. Ayayi stared down that guard right after the game because he wouldn't back off (kept playing D) even though the game was clearly over. Timme (?) Stepped in front of him and moved him towards the handshake line.

Point being that there's more than one culprit. It's not a bad thing to have some fire in them, but I do agree they could probably keep their mouths shut and focus on the game instead of showing up others. I, for one, am certainly not complaining about some of those things since Zag teams sometimes lack that fire, swagger, and alpha male intimidation.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    If anything his bona fides have drifted south since the great Duke game and some others early on last season. Very nice college big.
    I'd take his performance against Oregon this year over his performance against Duke last year any time. One was a 12 minute performance going in mostly when Duke put in their backup big and playing a small but valuable role (4-5 shooting was nice, but the story of that game had little to do with him and everything to do with BC). The other was being the primary go-to guy in a game against a high caliber opponent.

This season he has been the best player, from a statistical standpoint, in 4 of our games (0 for 37 last year). He has been asked to do more, and he has done pretty well. He had a miserable game against Michigan. He'll need to show he can shoot well enough to be a PF because without a little more length or verticality, he is going to have problems with big guys in the NBA.

But to me, he did well early last year, didn't look anything close to an NBA level big guy down the stretch, completely overshadowed by Rui and BC. But outside of having Teske completely shut him down, he's been impressive this year. I get why he thinks he can make it at the next level. But he'll need to be able to shoot to be a stretch 4/5.

Reborn it's time for you to face the music after your vicious post following the Michigan game. I've kept my opinion to myself for years out of respect for our common fandom, but you've dished it now you have to take it. Your prose is the worst. "PERIOD". At best it is simplistic dribble, at worst it reads like the type of sophomoric submission that drives high school English teachers to change careers and go to work at Burger King. Like a bad application essay to write for the high school paper. Although your post in this thread is mercifully short, your usual long tomes are so devoid of style or any interesting content that I can't help but think you are delirious. You truly are a, "JV team," and nothing close to "varsity". I am ,"sooooo tired," of your posts and your illusions that you really have something worthwhile to say in paragraph after monotonous paragraph. You are truly a legend in your own mind. Keep it short like all the other posters who are able to concisely convey their thoughts. You writing is less than JV. "PERIOD, PERIOD". [quotes from Reborn's Michigan post]

Quote Originally Posted by johno View Post
    Reborn it's time for you to face the music after your vicious post following the Michigan game. I've kept my opinion to myself for years out of respect for our common fandom, but you've dished it now you have to take it. Your prose is the worst. "PERIOD". At best it is simplistic dribble, at worst it reads like the type of sophomoric submission that drives high school English teachers to change careers and go to work at Burger King. Like a bad application essay to write for the high school paper. Although your post in this thread is mercifully short, your usual long tomes are so devoid of style or any interesting content that I can't help but think you are delirious. You truly are a, "JV team," and nothing close to "varsity". I am ,"sooooo tired," of your posts and your illusions that you really have something worthwhile to say in paragraph after monotonous paragraph. You are truly a legend in your own mind. Keep it short like all the other posters who are able to concisely convey their thoughts. You writing is less than JV. "PERIOD, PERIOD". [quotes from Reborn's Michigan post]
    That escalated rather quickly into the personal.

I think Reborn is just a little longer in the tooth and less quick observationally or memory-wise than some on here. If you don't like his posts, don't read them, but you know what you are going to get.

He has shown a willingness to laugh or joke about his own age and forgetfulness, which I find endearing and hope I will be able to do when I reach his age. I realized that all his first-hand player observations and assessments were to be taken with a grain of salt when I went back and re-read his (and others') various conflicting observations of a high-school era Kispert.

I think Reborn is just a little longer in the tooth and less quick observationally or memory-wise than some on here. If you don't like his posts, don't read them, but you know what you are going to get.

He has shown a willingness to laugh or joke about his own age and forgetfulness, which I find endearing and hope I will be able to do when I reach his age. I realized that all his first-hand player observations and assessments were to be taken with a grain of salt when I went back and re-read his (and others') various conflicting observations of a high-school era Kispert.
    +1 (minus the Kispert stuff, as I have no frame of reference there)

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    Petrusev has every intention of going pro after this season.

He had a "2 year plan" from the very beginning. That was the plan he set for himself and with the team.

He's as good as gone after this season, & I've been told that by more than one source.

I suppose the only thing to keep him here next season would be chance at a Nat'l Championship type season...or a low draft stock, yet after he dominates in WCC play he will be a Top 25 type pick, and that's enough for him I'm sure.

Remember, GU bigs have a hot reputation in NBA circles
    If he is looking to be drafted in the 2nd round after this year.. it will be a fantastic decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    Maybe it’s a Texas deal (???)
    If that were the case, Drew and Admon would do it, too. Meech never did it, either.

I find it amusing that you talk about sophomoric submissions, yet you used the word "dribble", when it should have been "drivel".

Don't worry, my kids hate it when I do it to them, too...and they haven't seen a movie with me since The Count of Monte Cristo, where the screenplay deviated significantly in the concluding scenes.

Then again, I've not been invited to a family movie event since I laughed out loud during Glory Road. I was the only one in the theatre who recognized the real Don Haskins in a cameo appearance.

We're all legends in our own minds. I have a wife, her six sisters, 3 kids, and a grandson (Big D) who savor destroying my legendness wherever and whenever possible.

Carry on!

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    +1 (minus the Kispert stuff, as I have no frame of reference there)
    Everybody needs to lay off Corey!!! I will always have his back!

BTW, my favorite play of the Texas Southern game was when Killian took that charge, and jumped right back up. Saved me a heart attack!

It was a good thing that Drew's mom liked my observations about Drew when he played against our HS his junior year. Megan follows the GU Boards, as I'm sure a few other Zag parents do. They understand the difference between constructive criticism and personal attacks. Let's try and keep it positive.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    I find it amusing that you talk about sophomoric submissions, yet you used the word "dribble", when it should have been "drivel".

Don't worry, my kids hate it when I do it to them, too...and they haven't seen a movie with me since The Count of Monte Cristo, where the screenplay deviated significantly in the concluding scenes.

Then again, I've not been invited to a family movie event since I laughed out loud during Glory Road. I was the only one in the theatre who recognized the real Don Haskins in a cameo appearance.

We're all legends in our own minds. I have a wife, her six sisters, 3 kids, and a grandson (Big D) who savor destroying my legendness wherever and whenever possible.

Carry on!
    Okay you got me.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Everybody needs to lay off Corey!!! I will always have his back!

BTW, my favorite play of the Texas Southern game was when Killian took that charge, and jumped right back up. Saved me a heart attack!
    I like Kispert, too. I just didn’t follow his high school recruitment, aside from watching the highlights in that Pro-Am game where he lit it up.

You manage to get some great pics, btw. How long do you have to linger after games before the guys start coming back out?

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    I like Kispert, too. I just didn’t follow his high school recruitment, aside from watching the highlights in that Pro-Am game where he lit it up.

You manage to get some great pics, btw. How long do you have to linger after games before the guys start coming back out?
    There's only been two games where we were able to get pictures with players: OK State in Stillwater, and the A&M game. We waited until the players were leaving the arena, and were heading to the bus. Those are still in my album on my personal page. I think they're a hoot, as over the past several years, my son has grown about 8 inches to 6'2".

The A&M game was easy. The three players from Texas had friends and family attend the game, and they were available within about ten minutes after the conclusion of the game.

The picture with Corey and Jesse Wade was taken after the hoops camp for the day concluded. Jesse and his family were simply awesome, his brother invited Big D to play hoops with them on the floor of the Kennel.

Sorry for taking so long to reply to your "dribble." I don't know who you are, Johno, but I know one thing for sure, when it comes to basketball I can dribble circles around you and leave you gasping for air trying to catch up to me. AND when it comes to basketball, Johnny and who's going to play in any pickup game, you'd be the last one picked, if you even got picked at all. AND when it comes to Gonzaga basketball, so far, to the best of my knowledge, I am the only person on this board who has put on a Zag uniform and played for the university that we all love. AND I am one of the fewer players who has played at Gonzaga who can honestly say that they started for the Zags. I've earned my right to play in this game here on GUBoards. If you believe your drivel is going to intimidate me, JohnnyO. you truly don't know me at all.

You have absolutely no knowledge of Gonzaga basketball, in my opinion, and I'm surprised that our mods let your "delirious" ideas that you posted about me get on this bb forum that we all love. But honestly, I found your post to be filled with absolutely fabulous humor, and I laughed my butt off reading it. Ha ha ha ha. To prove you know nothing about Gonzaga basketball history, I DID make varsity, and not only made it, but started every year I played. I have proved my worth in the game of basketball, and if we fans here knew the truth about you, I'm sure that it is truly you who is not even a JV player, because even JV players have skills that you don't possess.

I am glad that you have English grammar skills and that you can bring THOSE skills to this forum. Because you certainly don't have any basketball skills. If I thought that I was in a junior high classroom, I can assure you that I would write differently. But Johnny boy, this IS a basketball forum on the internet and grammar skills aren't really required here. However, when people who truly have basketball skills, and basketball knowledge, they do have a place here, and they do have the respect of most people who come here to gain real knowledge and real truth about Gonzaga basketball. When you accuse me of not knowing anything about basketball, it really does make me laugh. If you think you are the first person who has tried to intimidate me with your bullying skills, you truly don't know me or don't know anything about those players who truly are legends of the game. Bullying unfortunately, is part of the game of basketball, and it's mostly used by those inferior players who know that they don't possess the skills that the person they are trying to bully truly has.

I'm proud to be someone who has played for Gonzaga, the university and the team that I love. And I'm proud to be one of the Gonzaga players who has dedicated part of my life to this Board, and contrary to your timid beliefs, I believe I have something worthwhile to contribute here. And I'm not the only one who believes that. People like you have tried to intimidate me since I was a kid overwhelming kids like you on a basketball court. They had no defense against what I could do to them on the court but to try to intimidate me with their faint attacks that truly amounted to nothing more than what we now can now call drivel.

Go Zags!!!!
    hahahahahahahahahaha laughing all the way home
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!