Thread: Gonzaga vs Texas Southern Post Game thoughts and analysis

Hybrid View

Default Gonzaga vs Texas Southern Post Game thoughts and analysis

Gonzaga 101
    Texas Southern 62

As usual, my predictions are way off this year. I really do not have a good handle on this team at all. The game did seem like another 40 point victory. I was most impressed with Kispert scoring 17 points and only making one three. It was soooo good to see him score in other ways than 3 point shots. He was even doing a good job rebounding tonight. He looked like a different player.

AYAYI played quite well too, as he usually does in these kind of games. He scored 16. 9 rebounds and 5 assusts.
    I also enjoyed Timme play. He seemed to play with a lot of passion tonight, as he was blocking shots, and looking tough inside. I finally saw the toughness that we had heard this summer about him. Maybe he has been reading this forum. hahaha

As usual I am not impressed with our 3 point shooting nor our foul shooting. In fact it's disgraceful I think. I'm tired of seeing our stats for those two things. WHAT EVERY happened to guard U? Our guards tonight shot 6-20 for 30% gilder 1-6, kispert 1-4.

Oh well! So much for Ninja Shooters!!!

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

The outcome was never in doubt after the 10 minute mark (of the first half, not the second half). And I was happy to see Matt Lang in the game as early as he was. He actually got quality minutes instead of garbage time.
    WE HAVE A GOAL -- WE HAVE A MISSION -- SPOKANE, STAPLES, ATLANTA

Default Game

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    The outcome was never in doubt after the 10 minute mark (of the first half, not the second half). And I was happy to see Matt Lang in the game as early as he was. He actually got quality minutes instead of garbage time.
    Very unhappy with Woolridge and his barking (again) at the opposite bench. Unnecessary and inappropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by zagmantis2001 View Post
    Very unhappy with Woolridge and his barking (again) at the opposite bench. Unnecessary and inappropriate.
    Maybe it’s a Texas deal (???)
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Gilder seems to be playing his own game out there. Has a me first air. Compare with Joel who is clearly team first. Woolridge can also be a get-mine guy, but not 100% of the time. Not surprising since the Texans both came for the principal reason of auditioning for the pros. Petro shows flashes of that, too. Compare to Tils, an awesome teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Gilder seems to be playing his own game out there. Has a me first air. Compare with Joel who is clearly team first. Woolridge can also be a get-mine guy, but not 100% of the time. Not surprising since the Texans both came for the principal reason of auditioning for the pros. Petro shows flashes of that, too. Compare to Tils, an awesome teammate.
    Well put, I see that too. I'm not sure it's selfish or just a carryover from bad habits with previous team.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Jazz throwing the strong accusation there: selfish players looking to get their own rather than play team first ball. Seven players took eight or more shots in this game, no player too more than 11. Looks like good sharing of the ball and taking what the defense gives you to me.

Overall, glad Zags shot well and no further injuries. Other than that, not too confident another W vs overmatched opponent tells us much about this Zags squad. Time for the prove it part of the schedule. I have no idea what to expect from this team; frankly, I’ll be more surprised if they go 3-0 vs UW, Arizona and UNC then if they go 0-3. Gilder and Woolridge haven’t shown they can score consistently or efficiently; Petrusev hasn’t shown he can score and defend vs high caliber bigs; thin bench and Tillie doesn’t have his bounce back.

My hopes for this team remain high but my expectations are trending downward. Only quality W so far is Oregon...these Zags have a lot to prove imo. They don’t look top 10 in country good to me; more like top 25-35 range.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Iím surprised by this post especially because of the timing. Overall, Gilder had one of his best floor games yesterday. He had a stretch in the second half where he made passes on 3 or 4 consecutive possessions that led to layups against a zone. I believe he had a 5th in that same stretch and we missed the layup or dunk. The shots he took were pretty open looks for the most part. You can tell he has no lift right now as his shots are pretty short (his jumper has always been more of a set shot anyway). Anyway, just my opinion.

Default Texas thing

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    Maybe itís a Texas deal (???)
    Maybe, but even if there is some Texas connection, his behavior has no place in the game. One of these days he is going to get a technical. He is lucky that he didn't get one the last time he did the same thing. The coaching staff was really unhappy with him the first time he did it, but they didn't seem to see what he had done this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    Maybe itís a Texas deal (???)
    If that were the case, Drew and Admon would do it, too. Meech never did it, either.

Quote Originally Posted by zagmantis2001 View Post
    Zakharov literally stood over an opponent who fell to the floor and taunted him after a made bucket but you choose to single out Woolridge for "barking" at the opposing bench? Interesting.

Default Answer to your question

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzdb8 View Post
    Zakharov literally stood over an opponent who fell to the floor and taunted him after a made bucket but you choose to single out Woolridge for "barking" at the opposing bench? Interesting.
    That's because (1) I was at the game; (2) I was not in the stands when the play you mentioned with Zakharov took place; (3) because I was not in the stands, I didn't see it; and (4) if I had seen it, I would have included that. So I didn't "choose" to single out Wooldridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzdb8 View Post
    I find it interesting that you want to key on Zakharov & Woolridge as if nobody else did anything like that. Ayayi stared down that guard right after the game because he wouldn't back off (kept playing D) even though the game was clearly over. Timme (?) Stepped in front of him and moved him towards the handshake line.

Point being that there's more than one culprit. It's not a bad thing to have some fire in them, but I do agree they could probably keep their mouths shut and focus on the game instead of showing up others. I, for one, am certainly not complaining about some of those things since Zag teams sometimes lack that fire, swagger, and alpha male intimidation.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Gonzaga 101
    Texas Southern 62

As usual, my predictions are way off this year. I really do not have a good handle on this team at all. The game did seem like another 40 point victory. I was most impressed with Kispert scoring 17 points and only making one three. It was soooo good to see him score in other ways than 3 point shots. He was even doing a good job rebounding tonight. He looked like a different player.

AYAYI played quite well too, as he usually does in these kind of games. He scored 16. 9 rebounds and 5 assusts.
    I also enjoyed Timme play. He seemed to play with a lot of passion tonight, as he was blocking shots, and looking tough inside. I finally saw the toughness that we had heard this summer about him. Maybe he has been reading this forum. hahaha

As usual I am not impressed with our 3 point shooting nor our foul shooting. In fact it's disgraceful I think. I'm tired of seeing our stats for those two things. WHAT EVERY happened to guard U? Our guards tonight shot 6-20 for 30% gilder 1-6, kispert 1-4.

Oh well! So much for Ninja Shooters!!!

Go Zags!!!
    Ayayi has played well in all types of games this season. His stat line against quality opponents is pretty impressive on KenPom. He had one bad game where he only played 13 minutes, but he has been excellent this year.

We are still one of the best three point shooting teams in the country. They moved the line back. The average is down to 33% and we are still north of 39 on the season.

I think Timme has been tough.

What I liked about this game was the stream I was watching it on didn’t glitch out every three seconds. Otherwise it was a pretty boring game where the Zags crushed an opponent that would finish close to last in the WCC. Apparently the new scheduling policy is cupcake, chocolate chip muffin, bran muffin, cupcake, tournament (muffin, steak, steak), cupcake, three steaks, cupcake. Too many sugary treats. Need more vegetables and protein in our non-conference diet.

Reborn it's time for you to face the music after your vicious post following the Michigan game. I've kept my opinion to myself for years out of respect for our common fandom, but you've dished it now you have to take it. Your prose is the worst. "PERIOD". At best it is simplistic dribble, at worst it reads like the type of sophomoric submission that drives high school English teachers to change careers and go to work at Burger King. Like a bad application essay to write for the high school paper. Although your post in this thread is mercifully short, your usual long tomes are so devoid of style or any interesting content that I can't help but think you are delirious. You truly are a, "JV team," and nothing close to "varsity". I am ,"sooooo tired," of your posts and your illusions that you really have something worthwhile to say in paragraph after monotonous paragraph. You are truly a legend in your own mind. Keep it short like all the other posters who are able to concisely convey their thoughts. You writing is less than JV. "PERIOD, PERIOD". [quotes from Reborn's Michigan post]

Quote Originally Posted by johno View Post
    Reborn it's time for you to face the music after your vicious post following the Michigan game. I've kept my opinion to myself for years out of respect for our common fandom, but you've dished it now you have to take it. Your prose is the worst. "PERIOD". At best it is simplistic dribble, at worst it reads like the type of sophomoric submission that drives high school English teachers to change careers and go to work at Burger King. Like a bad application essay to write for the high school paper. Although your post in this thread is mercifully short, your usual long tomes are so devoid of style or any interesting content that I can't help but think you are delirious. You truly are a, "JV team," and nothing close to "varsity". I am ,"sooooo tired," of your posts and your illusions that you really have something worthwhile to say in paragraph after monotonous paragraph. You are truly a legend in your own mind. Keep it short like all the other posters who are able to concisely convey their thoughts. You writing is less than JV. "PERIOD, PERIOD". [quotes from Reborn's Michigan post]
    That escalated rather quickly into the personal.

I think Reborn is just a little longer in the tooth and less quick observationally or memory-wise than some on here. If you don't like his posts, don't read them, but you know what you are going to get.

He has shown a willingness to laugh or joke about his own age and forgetfulness, which I find endearing and hope I will be able to do when I reach his age. I realized that all his first-hand player observations and assessments were to be taken with a grain of salt when I went back and re-read his (and others') various conflicting observations of a high-school era Kispert.

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post

I think Reborn is just a little longer in the tooth and less quick observationally or memory-wise than some on here. If you don't like his posts, don't read them, but you know what you are going to get.

He has shown a willingness to laugh or joke about his own age and forgetfulness, which I find endearing and hope I will be able to do when I reach his age. I realized that all his first-hand player observations and assessments were to be taken with a grain of salt when I went back and re-read his (and others') various conflicting observations of a high-school era Kispert.
    +1 (minus the Kispert stuff, as I have no frame of reference there)

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    +1 (minus the Kispert stuff, as I have no frame of reference there)
    Everybody needs to lay off Corey!!! I will always have his back!

BTW, my favorite play of the Texas Southern game was when Killian took that charge, and jumped right back up. Saved me a heart attack!

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Everybody needs to lay off Corey!!! I will always have his back!

BTW, my favorite play of the Texas Southern game was when Killian took that charge, and jumped right back up. Saved me a heart attack!
    I like Kispert, too. I just didn’t follow his high school recruitment, aside from watching the highlights in that Pro-Am game where he lit it up.

You manage to get some great pics, btw. How long do you have to linger after games before the guys start coming back out?

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post

It was a good thing that Drew's mom liked my observations about Drew when he played against our HS his junior year. Megan follows the GU Boards, as I'm sure a few other Zag parents do. They understand the difference between constructive criticism and personal attacks. Let's try and keep it positive.

I find it amusing that you talk about sophomoric submissions, yet you used the word "dribble", when it should have been "drivel".

Don't worry, my kids hate it when I do it to them, too...and they haven't seen a movie with me since The Count of Monte Cristo, where the screenplay deviated significantly in the concluding scenes.

Then again, I've not been invited to a family movie event since I laughed out loud during Glory Road. I was the only one in the theatre who recognized the real Don Haskins in a cameo appearance.

We're all legends in our own minds. I have a wife, her six sisters, 3 kids, and a grandson (Big D) who savor destroying my legendness wherever and whenever possible.

Carry on!

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    I find it amusing that you talk about sophomoric submissions, yet you used the word "dribble", when it should have been "drivel".

Don't worry, my kids hate it when I do it to them, too...and they haven't seen a movie with me since The Count of Monte Cristo, where the screenplay deviated significantly in the concluding scenes.

Then again, I've not been invited to a family movie event since I laughed out loud during Glory Road. I was the only one in the theatre who recognized the real Don Haskins in a cameo appearance.

We're all legends in our own minds. I have a wife, her six sisters, 3 kids, and a grandson (Big D) who savor destroying my legendness wherever and whenever possible.

Carry on!
    Okay you got me.

Sorry for taking so long to reply to your "dribble." I don't know who you are, Johno, but I know one thing for sure, when it comes to basketball I can dribble circles around you and leave you gasping for air trying to catch up to me. AND when it comes to basketball, Johnny and who's going to play in any pickup game, you'd be the last one picked, if you even got picked at all. AND when it comes to Gonzaga basketball, so far, to the best of my knowledge, I am the only person on this board who has put on a Zag uniform and played for the university that we all love. AND I am one of the fewer players who has played at Gonzaga who can honestly say that they started for the Zags. I've earned my right to play in this game here on GUBoards. If you believe your drivel is going to intimidate me, JohnnyO. you truly don't know me at all.

You have absolutely no knowledge of Gonzaga basketball, in my opinion, and I'm surprised that our mods let your "delirious" ideas that you posted about me get on this bb forum that we all love. But honestly, I found your post to be filled with absolutely fabulous humor, and I laughed my butt off reading it. Ha ha ha ha. To prove you know nothing about Gonzaga basketball history, I DID make varsity, and not only made it, but started every year I played. I have proved my worth in the game of basketball, and if we fans here knew the truth about you, I'm sure that it is truly you who is not even a JV player, because even JV players have skills that you don't possess.

I am glad that you have English grammar skills and that you can bring THOSE skills to this forum. Because you certainly don't have any basketball skills. If I thought that I was in a junior high classroom, I can assure you that I would write differently. But Johnny boy, this IS a basketball forum on the internet and grammar skills aren't really required here. However, when people who truly have basketball skills, and basketball knowledge, they do have a place here, and they do have the respect of most people who come here to gain real knowledge and real truth about Gonzaga basketball. When you accuse me of not knowing anything about basketball, it really does make me laugh. If you think you are the first person who has tried to intimidate me with your bullying skills, you truly don't know me or don't know anything about those players who truly are legends of the game. Bullying unfortunately, is part of the game of basketball, and it's mostly used by those inferior players who know that they don't possess the skills that the person they are trying to bully truly has.

I'm proud to be someone who has played for Gonzaga, the university and the team that I love. And I'm proud to be one of the Gonzaga players who has dedicated part of my life to this Board, and contrary to your timid beliefs, I believe I have something worthwhile to contribute here. And I'm not the only one who believes that. People like you have tried to intimidate me since I was a kid overwhelming kids like you on a basketball court. They had no defense against what I could do to them on the court but to try to intimidate me with their faint attacks that truly amounted to nothing more than what we now can now call drivel.

Go Zags!!!!
    hahahahahahahahahaha laughing all the way home
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!