Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga vs Texas Southern Post Game thoughts and analysis

Default Gonzaga vs Texas Southern Post Game thoughts and analysis

Gonzaga 101
    Texas Southern 62

As usual, my predictions are way off this year. I really do not have a good handle on this team at all. The game did seem like another 40 point victory. I was most impressed with Kispert scoring 17 points and only making one three. It was soooo good to see him score in other ways than 3 point shots. He was even doing a good job rebounding tonight. He looked like a different player.

AYAYI played quite well too, as he usually does in these kind of games. He scored 16. 9 rebounds and 5 assusts.
    I also enjoyed Timme play. He seemed to play with a lot of passion tonight, as he was blocking shots, and looking tough inside. I finally saw the toughness that we had heard this summer about him. Maybe he has been reading this forum. hahaha

As usual I am not impressed with our 3 point shooting nor our foul shooting. In fact it's disgraceful I think. I'm tired of seeing our stats for those two things. WHAT EVERY happened to guard U? Our guards tonight shot 6-20 for 30% gilder 1-6, kispert 1-4.

Oh well! So much for Ninja Shooters!!!

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

The outcome was never in doubt after the 10 minute mark (of the first half, not the second half). And I was happy to see Matt Lang in the game as early as he was. He actually got quality minutes instead of garbage time.
    WE HAVE A GOAL -- WE HAVE A MISSION -- SPOKANE, STAPLES, ATLANTA

Default Game

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    The outcome was never in doubt after the 10 minute mark (of the first half, not the second half). And I was happy to see Matt Lang in the game as early as he was. He actually got quality minutes instead of garbage time.
    Very unhappy with Woolridge and his barking (again) at the opposite bench. Unnecessary and inappropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by zagmantis2001 View Post
    Very unhappy with Woolridge and his barking (again) at the opposite bench. Unnecessary and inappropriate.
    Maybe it’s a Texas deal (???)
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Gilder seems to be playing his own game out there. Has a me first air. Compare with Joel who is clearly team first. Woolridge can also be a get-mine guy, but not 100% of the time. Not surprising since the Texans both came for the principal reason of auditioning for the pros. Petro shows flashes of that, too. Compare to Tils, an awesome teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Gilder seems to be playing his own game out there. Has a me first air. Compare with Joel who is clearly team first. Woolridge can also be a get-mine guy, but not 100% of the time. Not surprising since the Texans both came for the principal reason of auditioning for the pros. Petro shows flashes of that, too. Compare to Tils, an awesome teammate.
    Well put, I see that too. I'm not sure it's selfish or just a carryover from bad habits with previous team.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Gonzaga 101
    Texas Southern 62

As usual, my predictions are way off this year. I really do not have a good handle on this team at all. The game did seem like another 40 point victory. I was most impressed with Kispert scoring 17 points and only making one three. It was soooo good to see him score in other ways than 3 point shots. He was even doing a good job rebounding tonight. He looked like a different player.

AYAYI played quite well too, as he usually does in these kind of games. He scored 16. 9 rebounds and 5 assusts.
    I also enjoyed Timme play. He seemed to play with a lot of passion tonight, as he was blocking shots, and looking tough inside. I finally saw the toughness that we had heard this summer about him. Maybe he has been reading this forum. hahaha

As usual I am not impressed with our 3 point shooting nor our foul shooting. In fact it's disgraceful I think. I'm tired of seeing our stats for those two things. WHAT EVERY happened to guard U? Our guards tonight shot 6-20 for 30% gilder 1-6, kispert 1-4.

Oh well! So much for Ninja Shooters!!!

Go Zags!!!
    Ayayi has played well in all types of games this season. His stat line against quality opponents is pretty impressive on KenPom. He had one bad game where he only played 13 minutes, but he has been excellent this year.

We are still one of the best three point shooting teams in the country. They moved the line back. The average is down to 33% and we are still north of 39 on the season.

I think Timme has been tough.

What I liked about this game was the stream I was watching it on didn’t glitch out every three seconds. Otherwise it was a pretty boring game where the Zags crushed an opponent that would finish close to last in the WCC. Apparently the new scheduling policy is cupcake, chocolate chip muffin, bran muffin, cupcake, tournament (muffin, steak, steak), cupcake, three steaks, cupcake. Too many sugary treats. Need more vegetables and protein in our non-conference diet.

Jazz throwing the strong accusation there: selfish players looking to get their own rather than play team first ball. Seven players took eight or more shots in this game, no player too more than 11. Looks like good sharing of the ball and taking what the defense gives you to me.

Overall, glad Zags shot well and no further injuries. Other than that, not too confident another W vs overmatched opponent tells us much about this Zags squad. Time for the prove it part of the schedule. I have no idea what to expect from this team; frankly, I’ll be more surprised if they go 3-0 vs UW, Arizona and UNC then if they go 0-3. Gilder and Woolridge haven’t shown they can score consistently or efficiently; Petrusev hasn’t shown he can score and defend vs high caliber bigs; thin bench and Tillie doesn’t have his bounce back.

My hopes for this team remain high but my expectations are trending downward. Only quality W so far is Oregon...these Zags have a lot to prove imo. They don’t look top 10 in country good to me; more like top 25-35 range.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    I’m surprised by this post especially because of the timing. Overall, Gilder had one of his best floor games yesterday. He had a stretch in the second half where he made passes on 3 or 4 consecutive possessions that led to layups against a zone. I believe he had a 5th in that same stretch and we missed the layup or dunk. The shots he took were pretty open looks for the most part. You can tell he has no lift right now as his shots are pretty short (his jumper has always been more of a set shot anyway). Anyway, just my opinion.

I don't get why Jazz has to always personally attack every player and in such a malicious way. I thought Woolridge looked more explosive than during Atlantis, so hopefully his injury is coming along. Gilder looks like a shell of himself and I feel like he must be still struggling with his injuries. Ayayi looks amazing and I am glad his three point stroke has improved so much. I don't understand people who ever thought Timme is soft. He just isn't strong which is totally different to me. I was frustrated still with the defensive play in the first. We made almost all of the same defensive mistakes that we did against michigan and did not dominate the defensive boards like we should have. Woolridge still had some out of control plays and Kispert had some bad turnovers. I thought back end of the first half we looked better, but I was frankly pretty upset that those exact same issues were there after such a blowout loss. I would have thought that they really would have emphasized fixing them especially after the Michigan but whooping.

So, after 10 (or 11 if you count Lewis & Clark) games, I have a fair assessment of where we are. Even at less than full strength, we will beat up on the Texas Southern's, the Incarnate Word's, and other Little Sisters of the Poor's in college basketball. But if we play a ranked team, it's hit or miss. So if we get a top 4 seed in March, that should translate into a couple of easy wins for the first two games, and anything after that is gravy. This isn't a Final Four team, and I never expected it to be, going into this season. Losing Brock and Oumar from the get-go, and all of the various injuries have pretty much set the bar.
    WE HAVE A GOAL -- WE HAVE A MISSION -- SPOKANE, STAPLES, ATLANTA

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    So, after 10 (or 11 if you count Lewis & Clark) games, I have a fair assessment of where we are. Even at less than full strength, we will beat up on the Texas Southern's, the Incarnate Word's, and other Little Sisters of the Poor's in college basketball. But if we play a ranked team, it's hit or miss. So if we get a top 4 seed in March, that should translate into a couple of easy wins for the first two games, and anything after that is gravy. This isn't a Final Four team, and I never expected it to be, going into this season. Losing Brock and Oumar from the get-go, and all of the various injuries have pretty much set the bar.
    Yeah I'm very curious as to how much run Ravet would be getting right now - if anything he'd be getting time at one of the guard spots solely for his 3pt shooting.

IMHO Gonzaga is solid at every position...... and will get better with each game...…. as all the new players learn about each other and the offense and more importantly the defense...... that the coaches are installing.....going to miss Watson a lot !

The next three games will tell a lot...... and patience is the word for the non conference play....
    The Program has evolved to the point that …...for better or for worse …...it is just a fact that the success of the team will be measured by their success in the NCAA Tournament. Everything else is prelude …...as Iverson put it...." We talking about practice man.....practice ".

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
    I don't get why Jazz has to always personally attack every player and in such a malicious way. I thought Woolridge looked more explosive than during Atlantis, so hopefully his injury is coming along. Gilder looks like a shell of himself and I feel like he must be still struggling with his injuries. Ayayi looks amazing and I am glad his three point stroke has improved so much. I don't understand people who ever thought Timme is soft. He just isn't strong which is totally different to me. I was frustrated still with the defensive play in the first. We made almost all of the same defensive mistakes that we did against michigan and did not dominate the defensive boards like we should have. Woolridge still had some out of control plays and Kispert had some bad turnovers. I thought back end of the first half we looked better, but I was frankly pretty upset that those exact same issues were there after such a blowout loss. I would have thought that they really would have emphasized fixing them especially after the Michigan but whooping.
    Thanks for a very good post, Ladyzag12. I felt the same sense of disappointment the first half. The second half was better. I loved the way Timme played. For the first time I saw an attitude of toughness from a Zag. Timme played with a sense of "fight" in him. His play appeared to be a statement of "you're not going to push ME around and get a rebound." And, "You're not going to come in here and shoot an easy layup." I don't know about you, but I like seeing that kind of attitude coming from one of our "bigs." I hope he keeps it up, and I hope this attitude begins to spread. I believe that we need to get a whole lot tougher inside. Timme did seems to play more than he usually does, and I would say if he continues to play the way he did last night he'll get more playing time. If ANY player wants more playing time, play tougher defense. I think this call could go out to the entire team.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Default Post-Game Press: Few & Players Video

Thanks to ZagaZags for tracking this down

Jazz overview has some credence. Harsh but some truth. Few needs to demand more discipline.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

I’m really pulling for Admon to start figuring things out. He was still shaking off the rust when he hurt his knee. It reminds me of Tillie a bit last year. We really need his contributions and his experience is supposed to be what helps this team match up against tournament teams. If Ayayi wasn’t a revelation, of sorts (I think most of us thought he would be good, but maybe not this good), this team would be in bad shape right now.

Petrusev is very skilled, but I have to wonder how he's going to move to the NBA next year if he doesn't do a better job of finishing through contact. Sometimes you need to dunk the crap out of the ball when absorbing a foul.

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    Petrusev is very skilled, but I have to wonder how he's going to move to the NBA next year if he doesn't do a better job of finishing through contact. Sometimes you need to dunk the crap out of the ball when absorbing a foul.
    He is not NBA ready. Twenty to thirty more pounds and a focus on strength conditioning should be in his future. Even last night against less than stellar competition, when going against some bulk he came up short. He may be considered for the draft based on potential, but for pure basketball purposes he's going to need at least another year.

Agreed. He's not there, yet. He needs to study Sabonis' sophomore year. That's what it's going to take. Take no prisoners!
    Welcome to Zagdom

Gilder noticeably limping most of the game, no explosion, no lift on jumper, but I loved how he worked inside that 2/3 zone. Made some nice passes and snuck in for a lay up from a nice Timme pass. Even without being 100% he is still experienced and crafty. He took a few 3's but they for the most part weren't forced, and I think if hes healthy he makes 38-39% going off his past. Hopefully he can get fully healthy because we're going to need him at full strength to get to sweet 16, elite 8 and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    He is not NBA ready. Twenty to thirty more pounds and a focus on strength conditioning should be in his future. Even last night against less than stellar competition, when going against some bulk he came up short. He may be considered for the draft based on potential, but for pure basketball purposes he's going to need at least another year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snagglezag View Post
    Agreed. He's not there, yet. He needs to study Sabonis' sophomore year. That's what it's going to take. Take no prisoners!
    Petrusev has every intention of going pro after this season.

He had a "2 year plan" from the very beginning. That was the plan he set for himself and with the team.

He's as good as gone after this season, & I've been told that by more than one source.

I suppose the only thing to keep him here next season would be chance at a Nat'l Championship type season...or a low draft stock, yet after he dominates in WCC play he will be a Top 25 type pick, and that's enough for him I'm sure.

Remember, GU bigs have a hot reputation in NBA circles

Quote Originally Posted by zagmantis2001 View Post
    Zakharov literally stood over an opponent who fell to the floor and taunted him after a made bucket but you choose to single out Woolridge for "barking" at the opposing bench? Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Snagglezag View Post

Petrusev has every intention of going pro after the season.

He had a "2 year plan" from the very beginning. That was the plan he set for himself and with the team.

He's as good as gone, & I've been told that by more than one source.

I suppose the only thing to keep him here next season would be chance at a Nat'l Championship type season...or a low draft stock, yet after he dominates in WCC play he will be a Top 25 type pick.

Remember, GU bigs are trending in NBA circles right now, and he had international experience, which is an advantage for post players

Filip weighs 236.

There's no way he's ever going to compete in the NBA or overseas at a weight of 256 or 266. Maybe 245-250 tops.

People who have never tried to simply "put on 20 to 30 pounds more" (of muscle, while exercising extreme amounts, and while being a 17-30yr old male) don't understand how hard this would be.

For reference, Zach Collins has really seriously bulked up in 3 years since GU, and he has gained just 14lb. (235-249) That's on a taller frame than Petrusev has to work from, and starting from a "skinnier" base.

I agree that Pet would benefit from being stronger, but mostly in his hands with the ball near the basket. His NBA stock would most improve if he showed an outside shot. Not being NBA-ready now is simply not a draft hangup that you think it is. Collins and Markkanen seem like Pet's best comps in the league. Both are 7 footers in the ~245 weight range. They can both hit from midrange or 3, Collins a much better athlete and defender. Both were top-10 picks. Petrusev likely a late first rounder.