Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Kennel Club 12/4/19 . ( And beyond. . .)

Gee...why can't we be like the BYU fans …...

Quote Originally Posted by Zagquette View Post
    It seems to me that everyone is pointing fingers in the wrong direction. Why are we letting the school and the athletic Dept off the hook?

They are the ones who are absolutely responsible for the atmosphere at the games. If they want to make the place go crazy, create some incentives for students and others to get excited. Some of it is the schedule, some of it is the $$$ for the tickets, and alot of it is the lack of programing and creativity necessary for creating a great atmosphere.

I have always thought it was lame to blame the KC and the students. And that has literally been happening on this board since 03'.

Don't take the KC for granted, do something to support it, or this is the new normal.

The school and the basketball biz side of the house are responsible for creating the atmosphere, not the students. If folks are not showing up, it's their problem. Rather than blaming the students, do something new. Create a different culture among all the fans in attendance.

It is always amazing to me how great of an atmosphere that zag fans create for games outside of Spokane at the WCC tourney, neutral site and even at other WCC arenas. It's because most of those folks are alumni, ex-KCers and "real" fans. Folks that never have a chance to go to a game at the kennel.

Those same passionate fans are not the folks at the Kennel and that is the real problem.

(Off my soapbox)
    Nice post.

I've been casually observing all of this back and forth for the past few weeks with great interest. On one hand, I attended every single home game my freshman, sophomore, and junior year. I think I missed 2 senior year due to work. When I was there, I was loud and obnoxious and had more fun than I may ever have again. It was wild. Thinking of the gestalt of my Gonzaga experience, going to basketball games is front and center. It was a big part of what made those four years incredibly special for me.

Yet...so many call this generation of students entitled yet I have read a lot of posts and twitter comments with the audacity to tell students they MUST go to games and they MUST act a certain way when they go there, because after all, this is OUR basketball team. And while I still watch nearly every Zag game despite living in the central time zone and still get absurdly invested in every season's journey...I can't bring myself to ever think I have the right to tell a student paying 50k a year to go to Gonzaga what they have to do. I really wish the students filled the stadium for every game. I wish they were loud, and I wish the other fans were loud, and I wish that the 6,000 people in attendance were jumping and yelling the whole game. But I can't make that happen.

Complacency is human nature. The atmosphere at games will wax and wane over time and there are probably a ton of factors from the academic standards rising to social media to Kennel Club regulations and beyond that are playing a role. Any attempt to suggest that the decline in student attendance is a result of a flaw in the students themselves is, in my opinion, quite presumptive and inaccurate.

Bring back The Wave!

And start one by the Zags themselves (assisted by the cheerleaders) at the ends of some timeouts
    That’d get the place rocking!
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    Bring back The Wave!

And start one by the Zags themselves (assisted by the cheerleaders) at the ends of some timeouts
    That’d get the place rocking!
    Bring back the fours guys jumping around on the floor to spell ZAGS.
    Last edited by jbslicer; 12-11-2019 at 10:22 AM. Reason: I left out a word.

I mentioned in an earlier comment that I watched the UW game with a fellow KC founder. He's a lurker on this site and has posted a couple times but somehow can't get logged in (he's an old dude who is technologically challenged) and he asked me to post the following comment. I said that when you post something "from a friend" it actually means "me" but I'm OK with it anyway.

Here are his thoughts:

Zaguette and ZagFan24 are dead on... Don't blame the 18-22 year olds; blame the administrators sitting in the Ad Building or standing in a tunnel in the MAC, they are the ones who created this problem.

They are the ones who hold the Kennel Club purse strings (the KC is the only student group that falls under Athletics) and use student seating-which every student pays for whether they attend a single sporting event or not-as a means to control student behavior at games. Thanks to the administrators who run the show, the Kennel Club-which was once considered one of the best student sections in all of college basketball-is now nothing more than a contrived cheer section... "Score, Zags, score!"

Let me give you just one example (I can easily cite a half dozen others): It was a KC tradition to turn their collective backs to the court during the announcement of the opposing team's starting line-up... That is until it was deemed "disrespectful" to our guests. That tradition is now banned.

A mix of apathy and complacency is the sausage you get when you put youthful enthusiasm, creativity and clever spontaneity through the meat grinder of political correctness.

Lastly, let me remind you that the 1,200 seats in the GU student section represents about 20% of the undergraduate student population... That would be the equivalent of UW's Dawg Pack-which was AWESOME during last Sunday's game-filling more than 6,000 seats in Alaska Airlines Arena. Has that ever happened? No, but many who regularly post here expect it to happen every night in The Kennel versus the likes of Lewis & Clark State, Texas Southern, Cal-Bakersfield and Detroit Mercy. Wow! Fitz would have bought everyone in attendance a beer if he could have gotten 1,200 students to come out for one of those games.

Times have changed, and not necessarily for the better.

Lastly, let me remind you that the 1,200 seats in the GU student section represents about 20% of the undergraduate student population... That would be the equivalent of UW's Dawg Pack-which was AWESOME during last Sunday's game-filling more than 6,000 seats in Alaska Airlines Arena.
    Does the Dawg Pack routinely account for 6000? It should, considering their undergraduate enrollment is over 30,000. It's also hard to believe that the arena wasn't filled to capacity, considering the rivalry between these two programs.

Season ticket holders do deserve more steak, and fewer cupcakes, for the money they spend. It would certainly help all concerned if there were more than a few competitive games during conference play.