Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kennel Club 12/4/19 . ( And beyond. . .)

Quote Originally Posted by ZagSwag View Post
    I'm pretty sure that article was satire
    I couldn't tell. Her closing para, seemed sincere:

Does this make me a bad Zag? Maybe, but I’m working on it. While I may be clueless about the actual game of basketball, I love the supportive atmosphere our team and The Kennel provides. A sea of students, from all grades, collectively cheering for the same thing, stomping on the same bleachers, dressed in the same gear, is unmatchable.
    FWIW, I read it as a first person account of a student who really doesn't know the game of basketball who took a look at things in the KC from that perspective. Her byline indicates she was the semester's Arts & Entertainment editor, so maybe it wasn't satirical in nature. Didn't detect any figurative "wink - wink, nod nod" indicators of tongue in cheek after four readings. . .

If the intent was satirical, then I am showing my generational ignorance and have failed yet another era's worth of understanding.

So it goes.

I've generally perceived the crowd at K2 to be listless -- including the students. The non-student sections look as animated as oil paintings, and the students appear to be going through the motions -- rote cheers and dances, and the tired routine of who can dress the craziest. Others have mentioned the oppressive, institutionalization of the Kennel Club that discourages anything but officially sanctioned behavior, appearance, speech. I can relate to students who find it unappealing to be a part of something so controlled and, on some level, contrived. As for the non-students, success leads to unintended consequences. As a kid, my San Francisco Giants played in the most abominable facility in all of baseball. A genuine dump -- a massive, cavernous dump with temperatures that were regularly arctic. And the product on the field was, with very, very few, exceptions lousy. But on certain occasions, it was magical: There was nothing better than a Friday night game against the Dodgers. Fog spilling over the upper-reserved sections, the smell of cigarette smoke and whiskey thick in the air, and sometimes as many as 60,000 fans cheering for the win that usually never happened. But the atmosphere was electric. Fast forward to the present day at state-of-the-art, sanitized Oracle Park. A much more successful product (three World Series championships), but the result is punitively-priced seat licenses, tickets, and concessions affordable only by the very wealthy or by corporate entities. You end up with transient, dispassionate crowds attending (often on someone else's dime) for the spectacle not the game. Sound familiar?

GCU with 11 bus loads of students for today’s game with Liberty. I guess it’s not the opponents keeping our students away. Just saying......

Exclamation Tweet from Filip after visiting UW

Filip Petrušev
    @PetrusevFilip
    ·
    52m
    Louder than the Kennel “this year”, hope that changes!!! #gozags

I would say the KC (all the students) have been called out. It will be easy to show for UNC, but the real test of loyalty and spirit will be the next home game regardless of opponent name, their record or whether it’s on ESPN or local TV. The season ticket holders may have to lead for the first time in perhaps 17-18 years.

Default KC enthusiasm

My fellow KC founder mentioned to me as we watched the UW game together that I've been AWOL from this site for quite a while. It inspired me to log on, read some posts, and make the following comment:

I understand what's allegedly happening to the KC - that the enthusiasm level for a game against Texas Southern or CSU Bakersfield in 2019 is simply not what it was in 2005 - or 2011 for that matter. I get it if it's true. Hell, I'm not NEARLY as excited for a game against Texas A&M or Arizona as I would have been a decade ago. It's hard not to simply only get up for the really big games and then basically be somewhat lackadaisical until March.

I'm a 57 year old man who has been following Gonzaga basketball passionately since way before the magical '99 season. I understand why I am not as fired up watching a game on ROOT against a team I am certain we will beat by over 30 points than I was in the past.

But, that being said, I think it's pretty dang sad that current students feel the same way. Going to the games, ALL the games, should be incredibly fun as a student. And going crazy, even against inferior teams, should happen because it is FUN. If that part of the Gonzaga experience is gone then that sucks. That really sucks. I hope it's not true.

Students feel same way you do. They have lived their whole life knowing Gonzaga for making tournies and making deep runs.
    Love the zags for life

Quote Originally Posted by Malastein View Post
    I say blame the schedule more than the students. I’m not excited about most of the schedule this year either...
    My question: Are students there to watch the other team or to watch GU? Fairweather supporters care about / attend because of who the opponent is.

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    Students feel same way you do. They have lived their whole life knowing Gonzaga for making tournies and making deep runs.
    More evidence we are at peak Zag.

I was in the Pep Band back in the early 2000s, and I have to agree that it's somewhat baffling to me how this happens. I don't have any obvious solutions, though. Hopefully they can figure something out.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Just open it up to alumni willing to dress up and make noises. I'll look like that dad nobody wants to hang around because I'm mid life crisis mode.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Opening up ticket sales to all alums, first come first served, after first offering them to Bulldog Club members makes a lot of sense

Quote Originally Posted by krozman View Post
    Just open it up to alumni willing to dress up and make noises. I'll look like that dad nobody wants to hang around because I'm mid life crisis mode.
    Hat backwards? Pant sag? Lets go!
    Love the zags for life

Quote Originally Posted by kclubfounder View Post
    I'm a 57 year old man who has been following Gonzaga basketball passionately since way before the magical '99 season. I understand why I am not as fired up watching a game on ROOT against a team I am certain we will beat by over 30 points than I was in the past.

But, that being said, I think it's pretty dang sad that current students feel the same way. Going to the games, ALL the games, should be incredibly fun as a student. And going crazy, even against inferior teams, should happen because it is FUN. If that part of the Gonzaga experience is gone then that sucks. That really sucks. I hope it's not true.
    If students won't support anything but the high profile games, their ticket allotment ought to be reduced. Sell those seats, increase revenue, and stop jacking up the prices to ST holders year after year.

More seats for the comatose??? Just what we need. A gym so quiet you could put a baby to sleep.

Not excusing the students entirely... but seriously... watch the dead weight behind the benches... they don't stand, barely clap, and definitely never get loud.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    If students won't support anything but the high profile games, their ticket allotment ought to be reduced. Sell those seats, increase revenue, and stop jacking up the prices to ST holders year after year.
    BTW... isn't that what many here are demanding... nothing but high profile games?
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    More seats for the comatose??? Just what we need. A gym so quiet you could put a baby to sleep.

Not excusing the students entirely... but seriously... watch the dead weight behind the benches... they don't stand, barely clap, and definitely never get loud.
    Truth! Or they talk to each other throughout the game about everything but the game.

I noticed that Mr. & Mrs. Volkar sit behind the bench...I'm willing to cut them some slack for not getting animated.

BTW... isn't that what many here are demanding... nothing but high profile games?
    Good luck with that. The scheduling model is to front loaded with SWC, Summit, and WAC dreck. Puff up the W-L record in case the Thanksgiving tourney results are lackluster and/or they drop a couple in the WCC regular season. Regional games that make sense ( Montana, MSU, Idaho State, Boise State, Utah State, WSU) with better NET / RPI ranked opponents are not part of the program. Detroit Mercy ? UT Arlington ? You or I would go to those games if we had the chance, but the students turn up their nose at such cannon fodder.

Would rather see those seats occupied by "old farts" versus empty spaces haunted by Kennel Club ghosts.

I hope the students come back in droves and never again will a player have to ask/suggest on twitter that Zag fans bring the noise on their home court.
    Last edited by RenoZag; 12-10-2019 at 07:06 PM.

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

I’m sure Hec Ed isn’t as animated for the Texas Southern type teams they play but point taken.

Maybe it’s just me, but I’ve always believed if you are really a “fan” of a team you go to every game you can. Even in the lean years of the mid-80s through mid-90s it was fun to go to every game— even Brewster Packing.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Good luck with that. The scheduling model is to front load with SWC, Summit, and WAC dreck. Puff up the W-L record in case the Thanksgiving tourney results are lackluster and/or they drop a couple in the WCC regular season.
    Regional games that make sense ( Montana, MSU, Idaho State, Boise State, Utah State, WSU) with better NET / RPI ranked opponents are not part of the program. Detroit Mercy ? UT Arlington ? You or I would go to those games if we had the chance, but the students turn up their nose at such cannon fodder.

Would rather see those seats occupied by "old farts" versus empty spaces haunted by Kennel Club ghosts.

I hope the students come back in droves and never again will a player have to ask/suggest on twitter that Zag fans bring the noise on their home court.
    The scheduling model works now and it will likely land the Zags a seed in Spokane so it's hard to argue against. Problem is from a fan perspective and a recruiting perspective the Zags have a backloaded schedule too, with a 90 percent win rate against the WCC.

Tix were still available for general admission late into game day against TX Southern too so it's not just a student issue.

Quote Originally Posted by 509er View Post
    I’m sure Hec Ed isn’t as animated for the Texas Southern type teams they play but point taken.
    I watched the UW host South Dakota on TV. You could hear the players’ sneakers squeaking the whole game.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

It would be nice to have an alumni kennel club on the other side. Does everyone sit on their hands after they graduate.

It seems to me that everyone is pointing fingers in the wrong direction. Why are we letting the school and the athletic Dept off the hook?

They are the ones who are absolutely responsible for the atmosphere at the games. If they want to make the place go crazy, create some incentives for students and others to get excited. Some of it is the schedule, some of it is the $$$ for the tickets, and alot of it is the lack of programing and creativity necessary for creating a great atmosphere.

I have always thought it was lame to blame the KC and the students. And that has literally been happening on this board since 03'.

Don't take the KC for granted, do something to support it, or this is the new normal.

The school and the basketball biz side of the house are responsible for creating the atmosphere, not the students. If folks are not showing up, it's their problem. Rather than blaming the students, do something new. Create a different culture among all the fans in attendance.

It is always amazing to me how great of an atmosphere that zag fans create for games outside of Spokane at the WCC tourney, neutral site and even at other WCC arenas. It's because most of those folks are alumni, ex-KCers and "real" fans. Folks that never have a chance to go to a game at the kennel.

Those same passionate fans are not the folks at the Kennel and that is the real problem.

(Off my soapbox)
    No sense in playing an in-state rival if you have to eat lopsided defeats. It's just like the great Athenian orator and statesman Demosthenes once said -- and I'm paraphrasing -- it's better to be called a chicken and not lose to Gonzaga than to be called brave and get blasted.

- Parrish, CBS Sportsline 12/11/2006