Thread: Enough with the IPAs, already!

Default Enough with the IPAs, already!

Has any brewing style been more overdone in recent years? We are beset on all sides by an endless proliferation of mediocre brewing novices drowning us in overhopped suds in flashy metal packaging!

I was at a sports pub, last week...an establishment that prides itself on its wide selection of beer offerings. “Over sixty beers available with rotating taps and seasonal offerings!” they say. It was all false advertising. Over fifty of the offerings were IPAs or the euphemistically labeled “hoppy pale ales.” They offered a scant handful of national domestics (Bud Light, Coors Light, PBR), a couple of sours and a skunky farmhouse ale. For those of us connoisseurs of the darker brewing arts, they offered but four choices: an oyster stout (which I can’t try due to a shellfish allergy) a coffee porter, a brown ale, and an oatmeal stout.

Down with the IPA! It’s time for a dark beer lovers’ revolution!

Who’s with me!?!
    “There is no premium content on the GUBoards. We get what we pay for.”
    Pope John XXIII in his remarks to the College of Cardinals
    -12-21-2012
    -

Well I plan on skewing dark.... porters, stouts and browns. Will still have pales, Ipas and saisons... heck even a Pilsner or lager. But I tend to go dark when I order. Flip side to that is there is so much more room to be creative with IPAs and pales
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

I'm super bored with IPAs -- and my habitual drinking of them.

Vive le dark!
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Quote Originally Posted by TheZagPhish View Post
    I'm super bored with IPAs -- and my habitual drinking of them.

Vive le dark!
    I know you know what I can do with a dark beer.

Vive le dark!

I think every single time we see a fellow craft beer guy sipping on a dark beer... we should encourage them to do the same. It is a movement... nay... A REVOLUTION!!!!

VIVE LE DARK!!!
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

I love IPAs, but I get the hate. I think you went to the wrong spot. Most of the places I go with 40-50 beers on tap have a wide selection of varieties and IPAs/Pale Ales occupy maybe 10 at most of those taps. I agree with hating on the mediocre brewing novice made IPAs. I have gotten more picky on the ones I will drink. I think if you lived on the west coast you would be able to find much higher quality IPAs and maybe would appreciate them more.

If you really want to get pissed at a type of beer taking over, then go to the grocery store and see how much space seltzer "beer" and ciders occupy. My grocery store has a really small space of non AB Inbev beers available. They basically took away their wider selection and replaced with the seltzers and ciders.
    Bring back the OCC

After my officer basic course and specialty training, I was assigned to the 1st Armored Division near Nuremburg, FRG. My stay was 38 months and during that time, I was fortunate to sample and enjoy a wide variety of beers. This was 1980 and the American craft beer movement was in its infancy; I'm sure I had no idea what an IPA was. From my own experience, I quickly learned the German brews had a much higher ABV and I adapted to the German styles.

About two months before I returned to the states, I was at a party that offered a wide range of brews, including Miller High Life, in a bottle. I hadn't had a Miller since I landed in Europe. On that occasion, the Miller was a refreshing change of pace. By then, so much of the German beers had begun to taste like malt liquor to me. After that, I tended more towards Pils, still enjoyed an occasional Hefe Weizen, and more frequently, American domestics available at the PX

As MCMM says, the IPA array is daunting. Whether on tap or in bottles, the choices are mind-boggling. When I feel I'm stuck in an IPA rut, I'll change it up and go with a stout, a porter, or even a lager.

Choosing beers is like picking out a set of speakers for your stereo.

Stone Enjoy By 1-1-2020 - this unfiltered double IPA will knock your socks off. Yum!
    Bring back the OCC

I went to a couple breweries yesterday. I went to Ravenna Brewing and had a hazy double IPA. It had nice flavor. Then I went to Fremont for the BBomb variant release. The BBomb stands for Bourbon Barrel aged Abominable Winter Ale. The variants were coconut in one and coffee cinnamon in the other. Both were amazing. I love bourbon barrel aged beers and BBomb might be my favorite. The coconut was slightly better than the coffee cinnamon in my opinion. I bought two bottles of each and am planning on drinking the coconut BBomb during the Zag game tonight.

Bring back the OCC

Georgetown Lucille IPA - this is a really solid IPA. I am able to pick up georgetown beers at the safeway which is cool because they have so little space dedicated to craft beer. Lucille is one of my favorite beers when it is on tap. When it first came out in cans it didn't taste right to me. Either I've changed or Georgetown has gotten better at canning it because it tastes closer to the draft version that I like so much. The winter beers are out at Safeway now too. Next time I got I will have to pick up some Sierra Nevada Celebration and Deschutes Jubelale.
    Bring back the OCC