X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZagsObserver
    Zag for Life
    • Jan 2010

Sure is a lot of high-end interest towards a lot of mediocre players. That’s my first take. And yes, I’ve watched several of these guys - though, admittedly not all. Carlik and Anosike might be good gets. Anosike’s doesn’t shoot well for a wing and he’s too small for a big. Still, he rebounds well and manages to get to the hoop.

Comment

• YankMyZAG
      Bulldog Fan
      • Sep 2019

Originally posted by StatZag19 View Post
      Per Jake Weingarten:

Michigan, Gonzaga, Michigan State, Maryland, Seton Hall, are amongst the schools still in the mix and heavily involved with Harvard graduate transfer Bryce Aiken, a source told @Stockrisers. One of the top-available grad transfers.

Florida State, Gonzaga, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Virginia, are the latest programs to contact Santa Clara transfer Trey Wertz, he told @Stockrisers. He broke down his new recruitment which includes nearly 30 programs.

Per Jeff Borzello:

Gonzaga is the latest school to get in the mix for Radford grad transfer Carlik Jones, the Big South Player of the Year.
      https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/sta...289245187?s=19
      Feels a little dirty to going after players from a team in conference, im probably being naive

Comment

• HenneZag
        Zag for Life
        • Aug 2012

I really like Bryce Aiken. The only issue is what role these guards are willing to play.
        America's Team!

Comment

• caldwellzag
          Zag for Life
          • Jan 2018

Originally posted by ZagsObserver View Post
          Sure is a lot of high-end interest towards a lot of mediocre players. That’s my first take. And yes, I’ve watched several of these guys - though, admittedly not all. Carlik and Anosike might be good gets. Anosike’s doesn’t shoot well for a wing and he’s too small for a big. Still, he rebounds well and manages to get to the hoop.
          I think the big difference this year is the fact that whoever we get will be coming off the bench. We are so loaded next year anyone joining the squad will be a 6/7/8th man.

Comment

• caldwellzag
            Zag for Life
            • Jan 2018

Originally posted by ZagsObserver View Post
            And trust me if the guy that is being hinted at decides to transfer, he is not mediocre he has NBA written all over him.

Comment

• HenneZag
              Zag for Life
              • Aug 2012

Caldwell, any hints on these potential transfers if they are willing to play coming off the bench on a team that can legitimately win the ship next year?
              America's Team!

Comment

• doctorzag
                Banned
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by caldwellzag View Post
                And trust me if the guy that is being hinted at decides to transfer, he is not mediocre he has NBA written all over him.
                Has his name been mentioned in this thread yet?

Comment

• bdmiller7
                  Zag for Life
                  • Jun 2017

Originally posted by Kiddwell View Post
                  Thanks, bd! This site's star-rankings really helps set apart the extra goodies from the goodies.

:]
                  It is their high school rating so some have been better and some have underachieved, but it is easy for me scan through and seems pretty up to date.

Comment

• Hooray4Daye&Gray
                    Kennel Club Alum
                    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by caldwellzag View Post
                    I have to say, I like the hints and the games. Maybe it's because it's the distraction I need from working from home.

Thank you! While others try to figure out who it is, can I ask what % you would put on him deciding to transfer?

You always do such a good job with percentages, and personally I am more invested in if it will happen than who it would be.

Comment

• zagssuperfan
                      Kennel Club Material
                      • Jun 2013

Originally posted by Hooray4Daye&Gray View Post
                      I have to say, I like the hints and the games. Maybe it's because it's the distraction I need from working from home.

Thank you! While others try to figure out who it is, can I ask what % you would put on him deciding to transfer?

You always do such a good job with percentages, and personally I am more invested in if it will happen than who it would be.
                      I like it too, unless it doesn't happen. I remember playing this game last year and the player ended up staying. I never heard if caldwell told us who it was, but some speculated it was Payton pritchard. I'm happy with what we got from woolridge and admon, but I will always wonder about that other player.

Comment

• ZagsObserver
                        Zag for Life
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by zagssuperfan View Post
                        I like it too, unless it doesn't happen. I remember playing this game last year and the player ended up staying. I never heard if caldwell told us who it was, but some speculated it was Payton pritchard. I'm happy with what we got from woolridge and admon, but I will always wonder about that other player.
                        No tournament this year, so wouldn’t have mattered much. Maybe we are ranked 1 instead of 2.

Comment

• TheOtherGreatOne
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

How about Kalief Battle from Butler ? NBA tallent, but he has to set next year, unless they change the rule. I don't see him wanting to come off the bench next year though. I would like for it to be a scorer like Smith, but he is not NBA material, because he is too short, and not an super athlete. Kelly from Quinepiac is the best shooter who shot more than a few 3 pointers, but like Smith he is not NBA material, but would be a great role player as a shooter. Turner might be a potential NBA tallent. but would he want to go from being the big dog at Bowling Green, to one of the fleas on the big dog's back, here at Gonzaga ?

Comment

• ZagBlue
                            Kennel Club Material
                            • Apr 2019

Originally posted by HenneZag View Post
                            Caldwell, any hints on these potential transfers if they are willing to play coming off the bench on a team that can legitimately win the ship next year?
                            To be honest, I don’t think anyone within the program knows the answer to this yet as this is the magic question! As I mentioned yesterday, convincing a presumed to be top tier grad transfer that Gonzaga is the right place when we have a backcourt that already consists of a logical one and done, a kid who just won WCC tourney mvp, and another top 50 incoming recruit will be very tough. We do offer the chance to be part of an incredible season and plenty of backcourt minutes but starting will be very difficult. It is a very tough sell.

On the other hand, if you look at the history of these grad transfers, not many of them make a significant impact. Most of them become role players or are simply disappointing. Further, keep in mind that Woolridge was not our top of choice and probably not even our second choice initially. So, we need to just let this play out. Finally our roster is so good that even signing a few role players could be the final piece to our puzzle. We don’t need the best players (as we probably already have better already) we just need value added pieces.

Also, in answer to another post, I do think the “bigger fish” transfer Caldwell is referring to may now have been mentioned on this chain (but I’m not certain because I don’t want to go through 9 pages of comments to confirm ).

Comment

• SLOZag
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ZagBlue View Post
                              I do think the “bigger fish” transfer Caldwell is referring to may now have been mentioned on this chain (but I’m not certain because I don’t want to go through 9 pages of comments to confirm ).
                              ZagBlue: Perhaps I can make your life easier. Just PM the name to me and I'll check the 9 pages for ya -- no charge!
                              SLOZag
                              "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

Comment

• SLOZag
                                Zag for Life
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by TheOtherGreatOne View Post
                                Turner might be a potential NBA tallent. but would he want to go from being the big dog at Bowling Green, to one of the fleas on the big dog's back, here at Gonzaga ?
                                As I read the article referenced below, Jeff Goodman was quoted as saying "Bowling Green grad transfer Justin Turner (18.8 ppg) told me he has the following schools on his list: Louisville, Texas Tech, Marquette, Iowa State, Missouri, Georgia, Alabama, UConn."
                                Obviously, Gonzaga is omitted from that list, and this omission occurred after Gonzaga was reported to have expressed it's interest to Justin. Though you are free to parse Goodman's words if you wish ("Jeff didn't say Justin told him that was Justin's complete list"), it looks to me that we probably won't end up benefiting from Justin's talents.

Last edited by SLOZag; 03-27-2020, 02:03 AM.
                                SLOZag
                                "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

Comment

Working...
                                X