Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: General Transfer List 2020

EJ Montgomery

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Nice

Quote Originally Posted by doctorzag View Post
    EJ Montgomery
    My vote for most creative is the Sherlock Holmesian pick of Andrew Jones.

I like this EJ Montgomery pick the most so far. Admittedly, I recalled the name but didn't know the player or his situation. The following from NBA Scouting Live makes him sound like a really good candidate for the Olynyk Clinic:

E.J. Montgomery is an athletic big man that played for Kentucky this season. He played for former NBA head coach John Calipari, and NBA scouts and teams may be enamored with his size, athleticism, and perceived upside.​

However, he has struggled to get consistent playing time this year, and he also may be raw offensively. He has struggled to make shots efficiently, and while he can rebound and block shots, Montgomery has tended to be quite foul prone on defense. He will have to improve his offensive skills and overall feel for the game, but if he can, in a favorable scenario, he could perhaps end up being a similar player to former Dallas Mavericks’ center, Ian Mahinmi in the NBA.​
    The worst case scenario is that he is an athletic defender and rebounder at the 4/5 spot. The best case scenario is that he develops his skills offensively, improves his shot selection, and becomes a major-impact player. I imagine that Calipari has the next 5-Star big man in the stable just chomping at the bit to take his place.

ETA: To add to the intrigue, Roger Powell might have recruited him, as he was recruited by Vanderbilt. https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/...196881974.html

If we can find evidence that he likes the weather in Paris, France, or that he really likes tacos, it's a lock.
    Last edited by JPtheBeasta; 03-24-2020 at 06:57 AM.

I think the tacos would be a safer bet, JP.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Did someone mention Isaiah Stewart? YES!

Isaiah is buried in a troubled last-place Pac-12 team riddled with dissention. He played against us (very well!) in a losing cause back when UW was still confident, he knows what we and our staff are all about as a team. and not insignificantly, he is friends with Paolo, though it might take some juggling to get both of them on the court at the same time.

I think Isaiah would be an extraordinary pickup.
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

Quote Originally Posted by SLOZag View Post

Isaiah is buried in a troubled last-place Pac-12 team riddled with dissention. He played against us (very well!) in a losing cause back when UW was still confident, he knows what we and our staff are all about as a team. and not insignificantly, he is friends with Paolo, though it might take some juggling to get both of them on the court at the same time.

Oh man. He kept his chin down and played hard every second on the court despite what was going on around him....would take him in a second and we would be like WOW
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    Oh man. He kept his chin down and played hard every second on the court despite what was going on around him....would take him in a second and we would be like WOW
    As much as I like this kid, he's a projected lottery pick THIS year. Don't see him foregoing that money for two more years.

Quote Originally Posted by Zag_Dad View Post
    As much as I like this kid, he's a projected lottery pick THIS year. Don't see him foregoing that money for two more years.
    Those were my thoughts, as well. I would love to have him at GU but it would be a stretch for him to stick around one more year, let alone two, it seems to me.

Based on the clues, my gut is saying N'Faly Dante.

5 star big at Oregon. Showed flashes with the Ducks and pro potential is still very much there but didn't have the greatest frosh campaign. He's Ballo's compatriot so presumably there is a connection there.

Never heard about the Zags being on him but they could've made a late unpublicized push for him and lost out.

Quote Originally Posted by SLOZag View Post

He's going to the NBA. Was and is a predicted 1st rounder.

I don't think it's N'Faley Dante because Caldwell described the player being on a losing or bad team (Ducks were the class of the Pac12) and Dante is physically large but seemingly not of the quality of player Caldwell alludes to.

There simply aren't that many kids who were (in Caldwell's words) "univerally top 50 recruit" in one of the last 4 years, and who aren't already playing professionally in the g-league, NBA, or overseas.

From a position point of view, if it's someone who is theoretically somehow angling to play next season, then it seems like PGs are out and it'd be a big. If it's a traditional sit-1, and play 2,3 years, then it might be a post-suggs PG.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    I'd hate to see Filip leave. Such a bright future if he stay !! POY in college ball is a real possibility. 20/10 easily. Corey and Joel should run wild next year. FF talent just this year cut short by this virus.
    What gains do you think Petrusev could make on a theoretical 20-21 team that would put in the national POY conversation? He was almost 20pt-10rbs already (18.5ppg in conference) and never entered the POY conversation, and I never heard him mentioned for 1st or 2nd team all american. Playing next year on a team with a deeper front line and more scoring heavy backcourt, it's hard to imagine FP's stats improving.

My guess is EJ Montgomery.

Quote Originally Posted by GuZag2012 View Post
    With it sounding like a traditional transfer I'm assuming from the 2017, 2018 or 2019 class and since the players sounds like a big here are the big men from the Top 50 in those classes via 247 that haven't declared for the pros yet (according to my knowledge)

Silvio De Sousa
    Jeremiah Tilmon
    Malik Williams

Charles Bassey
    EJ Montgomery
    Jordan Brown
    Reggie Perry
    David McCormack

Isaiah Stewart
    Vernon Carey
    Jaden McDaniels
    Matthew Hurt
    N'Faly Dante
    Precious Achiuwa
    Jeremiah Robinson-Earl
    Trendon Watford
    Isaiah Mobley
    Onyeka Okongwu
    Armando Bacot
    CJ Walker
    Oscar Tshiebwe
    Trayce Jackson-Davis
    Zeke Nnaji
    Will Baker
    Omar Payne
    Kofi Cockburn
    Alonzo Gaffney

In 2018 Charles Bassey & Reggie Perry would be great gets. Many of the top 2019s will turn pro but guys that I haven't heard a ton of nba projections that had decent freshmen seasons & could be possibilities include Hurt, Oscar Tshiebwe, Armando Bacot & Kofi Cockburn (maybe Roger Powell connection from Illinois if looking at transfer)

Just throwing out options and seeing what sticks haha. Stay safe everyone & Go Zags!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'll italicize out players that I strongly think are going pro right now, or will be very unlikely to want to transfer, sit, and then play. My opinion only:

Silvio De Sousa
    Jeremiah Tilmon (not seemingly of the caliber caldwell hints at)
    Malik Williams

Charles Bassey
    EJ Montgomery

Jordan Brown (just transfer to AZ)
    Reggie Perry Everyone else seems to be transferring from Miss State right now, so maybe this guy? But he's expected to declare for the NBA.
    David McCormack (heir apparent @ KU)

Isaiah Stewart
    Vernon Carey
    Jaden McDaniels

Matthew Hurt Maybe not a good enough athlete to play the PF or stretch 4? But might be a good Olynyk/Wiltjer heir?
    N'Faly Dante
    Precious Achiuwa
    Jeremiah Robinson-Earl
    Trendon Watford
    Isaiah Mobley
    Onyeka Okongwu
    Armando Bacot
    CJ Walker
    (already transferred once)
    Oscar Tshiebwe
    Trayce Jackson-Davis (said publicly he'll return to Indiana)
    Zeke Nnaji

Will Baker Seems like a possible transfer candidate on a chaotic and underperforming Texas team, but doesn't seem like the quality of player Caldwell hints at
    Omar Payne (Florida native who played spot minutes for Florida, no reason to expect a transfer)
    Kofi Cockburn
    Alonzo Gaffney (Ohio native who played spot minutes for tOSU, no reason to expect a transfer)

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    What gains do you think Petrusev could make on a theoretical 20-21 team that would put in the national POY conversation? He was almost 20pt-10rbs already (18.5ppg in conference) and never entered the POY conversation, and I never heard him mentioned for 1st or 2nd team all american. Playing next year on a team with a deeper front line and more scoring heavy backcourt, it's hard to imagine FP's stats improving.
    Really similar to NWG after the F4 run. NWG simply didn't have much left to achieve and wouldn't improve a whole lot with another year in college.

Petrusev, although, has more areas than NWG to improve on and if he really is considering going back to Europe to get paid, then all the power to him. If NBA is his goal, then not sure how much better Euro ball is for his development over 1 more year at GU, besides the obvious financial benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    I listen to a lot of college b-ball podcasts and I did hear Filip’s name brought up as a top 5 candidate. If he played well in the tourney and the Zags did well, he would have risen imo.
    As for All American, https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...-studded-list/
    Also, NAbc Second team and most votes on AP 3rd team.
    Not sure what you’re getting at. If he comes back, averages 20/10 and Zags are as good as I think they’ll be, he’ll be a candidate. Unfortunately I don’t think he’s coming back and if he does I expect his averages to be similar to this year.

Trey Wertz joins his former backourt mate Tahj Eaddy in transferring out of Santa Clara. Oh boy.

https://twitter.com/Sam_Vecenie/stat...897408001?s=19

Jon Rothstein
    @JonRothstein
    Sacred Heart grad transfer E.J. Anosike has cut his list to Louisville, Tennessee, Gonzaga, Boston College, Georgia, Wake Forest, and Georgetown, per his Twitter page.

Immediately eligible.

Default General Transfer List 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Jon Rothstein
    @JonRothstein
    Sacred Heart grad transfer E.J. Anosike has cut his list to Louisville, Tennessee, Gonzaga, Boston College, Georgia, Wake Forest, and Georgetown, per his Twitter page.

Immediately eligible.
    My bet would be on Tennessee just because of the family connection as his sister played there & won two National Titles.

Quote Originally Posted by StatZag19 View Post
    Trey Wertz joins his former backourt mate Tahj Eaddy in transferring out of Santa Clara. Oh boy.

https://twitter.com/Sam_Vecenie/stat...897408001?s=19
    That's a bummer. SCU was looking like a potential top 100 team for next year with those 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Jon Rothstein
    @JonRothstein

Immediately eligible.
    Appears to be an undersized power forward. Would be a welcome addition, but can't see him being anything more than a 10-15 minute kind of guy

Slipper Still Fits: Players GU has had contact with

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

Quote Originally Posted by doctorzag View Post
    EJ Montgomery
    I have watched every game that Montgomery has played at Kentucky, and believe me he is not the answer. I would like to someone come that at least plays hard, which Montgomery does not. I guess if you want a virtule triple single machine, then he is your guy. He doesn't want to play inside, hates contact. He wants to play out on the perimeter and can't shoot a lick. There are a lot of transfers out there that are way better than Montgomery. I doubt that he transfers from Kentucky anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by GuZag2012 View Post
    With it sounding like a traditional transfer I'm assuming from the 2017, 2018 or 2019 class and since the players sounds like a big here are the big men from the Top 50 in those classes via 247 that haven't declared for the pros yet (according to my knowledge)

Silvio De Sousa
    Jeremiah Tilmon
    Malik Williams

Charles Bassey
    EJ Montgomery
    Jordan Brown
    Reggie Perry
    David McCormack

Isaiah Stewart
    Vernon Carey
    Jaden McDaniels
    Matthew Hurt
    N'Faly Dante
    Precious Achiuwa
    Jeremiah Robinson-Earl
    Trendon Watford
    Isaiah Mobley
    Onyeka Okongwu
    Armando Bacot
    CJ Walker
    Oscar Tshiebwe
    Trayce Jackson-Davis
    Zeke Nnaji
    Will Baker
    Omar Payne
    Kofi Cockburn
    Alonzo Gaffney

In 2018 Charles Bassey & Reggie Perry would be great gets. Many of the top 2019s will turn pro but guys that I haven't heard a ton of nba projections that had decent freshmen seasons & could be possibilities include Hurt, Oscar Tshiebwe, Armando Bacot & Kofi Cockburn (maybe Roger Powell connection from Illinois if looking at transfer)

Just throwing out options and seeing what sticks haha. Stay safe everyone & Go Zags!

So I know he was rated in the Top 50 via 247, but maybe not the composite Top 70 for sure on the composite. He is not mentioned in this list.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    Well at least now Caldwell should be able to say the potential player has been named.
    Believe it or not he is not listed. Like I said above he was Top 50 via 247, but not sure where he ended on ESPN or Rivals.

Isiah Stewart is a top 10 pick in the draft, no chance he is transferring.