Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: #18/17 Gonzaga Faces Montana State in Bozeman on Thursday at 5pm

I think the crowd is great, but its like the old HS days when the JV team played just before the varsity....people come early to get good seats for the men's team, which followed the women's....

but in general, Montana really likes women's bb big school, small school, whatever

21 TO's. Ugh.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post
    I think the crowd is great, but its like the old HS days when the JV team played just before the varsity....people come early to get good seats for the men's team, which followed the women's....

but in general, Montana really likes women's bb big school, small school, whatever
    For the four games at home this year including tonight's game, MSU has averaged 3072 people per game. Tonight's game is the only doubleheader of the season. In fact, MSU's Wbb largest home attendance this year was 6596 (more than a sell-out at the kennel) when they played Carroll.

MSU comes by their attendance numbers because of the quality of their Wbb team and not because of the Mbb team.

ZagDad

tonite the men played after the women....tonite...but maybe you'll dispute the way I spell "tonite"

sylean is right on tonight's attendance. The crowd got much larger as the game wore on and the men's fans arrived. Nonetheless, Montana State does have very good attendance for women's basketball games.

Reading this thread I would have thought all we did was fumble, travel and turn it over. I actually watched the game, though, and I thought we played some good defense, although mostly in the second half. I also thought we have some very good stretches and bright spots - e.g., as already mentioned, Louise making 3 consecutive 3s. Also, the game was not as close as the final score - we lost ground on the spread in the final 4 minutes when the play was really sloppy. Good to get the bench in, though.

I felt it was a good win coming off the tournament high. We could have had a let down. And I think the nature of this game may have been just what we needed before heading to WSU.

Interesting, this thing called the English language.

Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post

Based on your above quote, were you referring to tonight's (tonite's??) game? The MSU Wbb home attendance in general? How is the reader supposed to know the intent of your post, especially since the only other previous attendance post was ZAB's made almost 6 hours early clearly noted the Wbb Bobcats average over 3,000 fans per home game. Are Wbb and Mbb doubleheaders frequent at MSU?

I read the intent of your post as the MSU Wbb home attendance is based on the fact that Mbb playing later which apparrently was not the case. No harm no foul. However, it did lead to my post which noted that the MSU Wbb were perfectly capable of having good home attendance without the benefit of a double header with the MSU Mbb.

tonite the men played after the women....tonite...but maybe you'll dispute the way I spell "tonite"
    Funny, had you simply included the word "tonight" or "tonite" in your original post, it would have clearly clarified the intent of your post.

So you did the same thing I did by assuming the intent of my post. The intent of my post was not to "dispute" with your post. It is obvious that the Wbb having a double header with the Mbb will very likely lead to a larger overall attendance on any given night, nothing to disagree with.

Your post gave me a reason to do a little research (2 min. with Google does wonders) on the attendance of MSU Wbb home games and if their were any other doubleheaders with the MSU Mbb that would have inflated the MSU Wbb attendance numbers. Nothing in my post disputed your post. It simply provided accurate season attendance numbers backed up with a little research.

Don't take offense when someone misinterpets the intent of your post. Every poster (including me, perhaps more than most others) has had the intent of some of their posts misinterpreted for whatever reason (post was not as clearly written as it could have been, response poster did not clearly read what was written, etc.).

P.S. I will let Miriam Webster work with you on "tonight" or "tonite" as according to my long ago GU professors, English was certainly not my strongest subject as seen by the numerous times I edit almost all of my posts (you or your, the or then or they, etc.) including this one.

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by Zaglaw View Post
    Reading this thread I would have thought all we did was fumble, travel and turn it over. I actually watched the game, though, and I thought we played some good defense, although mostly in the second half. I also thought we have some very good stretches and bright spots - e.g., as already mentioned, Louise making 3 consecutive 3s. Also, the game was not as close as the final score - we lost ground on the spread in the final 4 minutes when the play was really sloppy. Good to get the bench in, though.

I felt it was a good win coming off the tournament high. We could have had a let down. And I think the nature of this game may have been just what we needed before heading to WSU.
    Zaglaw, you are right that many of us see the "not so good" aspects of the game instead of the "good" aspects of the game. I think many of us fans expected this game to be much "less" of a game than the first half represented.

Let's play the good, the not quite so good and the ugly.

The Good
    - Most of the offensive numbers were very good: overall shooting % - 51.0%, 3-pt shooting % - 52.9% & free throw % - 68.8% (could be better)
    - Double digit minutes for 9 players plus AV had 9 min of playing time. Very good playing time distribution.
    - 17 assists on 25 made baskets is a fabulous number.
    - Creating 19 turnovers (including 8 steals) leading to 24 points.
    - Welcome to the offense LF. 3-6 overall, 3-5 from 3 and 1-2 from the charity stripe for 10 pts, 1 steal and 5 rebounds.
    - JT and MK had another great 1st half to keep the Lady Zags in the game.
    - The Lady Zags only had 15 personal fouls leading to only 14 free throws by MSU
    - Another dominating 3rd quarter. Outscored MSU 17-9 to extend the lead to 15 at the end of the 3rd quarter.

The Not So Good
    - Another very slow first half
    - Wirths disappeared, particularly in the first half. Totaled only 11 pts and 6 rebounds. JT and MK did not have the same problems in the post the Wirths did.
    - GU won the rebounding battle but only by 33-29 while MSU won the offensive rebounding battle 9-6.
    - While it was a double digit win, MSU went 0-13 from 3. Had MSU hit their average % number of 3's, this game could have been a push.
    - MSU had more fast break points than the Zags 8-6.

The Ugly
    - 21 TURNOVERS!!! Way, way too many, 3 in the key, traveling, step on the side-/endline calls, forced passes, etc.
    - Zags did not control the paint. Despite being much taller, MSU and the Lady Zags both had 28 points in the paint.
    - Another failure when trying to run clock. Yes the subs were in, but we let MSU come from 22 down to 11 down with the ball. This must improve or quit trying to run clock and run your standard offense.

While the team has definite areas to improve, every time an opponent has tried to make the game close, the team has responded. While we fans see the potential of this team and get frustrated with the occasional questionable play of the Lady Zags, it is easy to overlook all of the good play and positive things this team has already achieved. Other than our overtime loss to Stanford, every other game has been a double-digit victory leading to our current 17/18 poll ranking. Our freshman guards are getting plenty of playing time prior to the conference season and the team has the look of a future conference champion.

Thanks for the reminder ZagLaw,

WSU is up next - Go Zags!!

ZagDad

ZD... A little disagreement with the Wirths.

JW only played 21 minutes... and it wasn’t because of a foul problem... only had one. You don’t just set one of your best players... just saying.
    LW played 26 minutes... had her normal 9 points 4 rebounds a block and 3 steals to go along with solid defense. Disappeared?

Go Zags!!

Quote Originally Posted by SkipZag View Post
    ZD... A little disagreement with the Wirths.

JW only played 21 minutes... and it wasn’t because of a foul problem... only had one. You don’t just set one of your best players... just saying.
    LW played 26 minutes... had her normal 9 points 4 rebounds a block and 3 steals to go along with solid defense. Disappeared?

Go Zags!!
    O'k, I agree that disappeared may have been a little too strong a word, how about "ineffective" particularly when applied to JW? I agree that LW had her typical offensive game and maybe I was just expecting more from her when her sister was having an off day.

MSU is not near as large (mass) as Dayton, not as physical as Purdue and not near as quick as MTSU. The lady zags had the height, and mass on MSU, so man-to-man, IMO the lady zags should have owned the paint and they just didn't do it on either side of the ball. The team played better when MK was in and then both MK and JT forced the issue in the paint. When LW and JW were in at the same time, MSU was getting a number of offensive rebounds and seemed to dominate the boards, particularly in the first half. Perhaps most telling was that when listening to the game announcers, you frequently heard the names of JT and MK called continuously and infrequently heard LW and JW even less. They Wirths just did not have the impact on the game that was expected by myself.

You mentioned some of the offensive stats, let's look into a few more.
    - Yearly Average - JW averages 27 mpg, 10.9 ppg, 0.471% overall shooting percentage, 5 rebounds and 2.4 fouls per game.
    - Last Nts Game - JW averaged 21 mpg, 2.0 ppg, 0.250% overall shooting percentage, 4 rebounds, and 1.0 fouls per game.

Not quite the game you expect from your pre-season all WCC forward. Too few points, poor shooting and not aggressive enough.

Last night, IMO JW looked slow, had more turnovers than points in the first half (0 points), let the double team get to her instead of passing out of it or taking it to the hoop. Maybe it was illness, a minor injury, an abundance of turkey, or just a bad game but I think the 21 mpg last night was due to the fact that MK simply was out performing JW and was having a much bigger impact on the game.

Offensive numbers are only one part of the equation, you have to check the other side of the ball. The player of the game for MSU was Fallyn Freije, a 6'0" forward who torched the zags for 18 points on 0.500% shooting, 4 rebounds, 3 assists and 2 steals. I don't think the lady zags did a very good job defensively on her at all. Hopefully the Zag bigs will do a much better job on 6'0"Borislava Hristova than they did against Freije.

In the end, as you always say, any win away from home is a good win.

Let's go get the next one.

Go Zags,

ZagDad

I’m going to give JW a pass on this one... without questions.

Good players, even great players, will have games they would like back...

The MSU game was a great win... they would have had plenty of excuses had they lost.

The WSU game will be a different story.

Go Zags!!