Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: James Akinjo

Default James Akinjo

Just announced his immediate transfer from Georgetown. Big east freshman of the year last year. Averaged 13, 3, and 5 last year on some iffy shooting splits (37/39/81). His shooting numbers are even lower this year but he is an intriguing prospect at pg.

His name is already being linked to Gonzaga on twitter and it sounds like he's made it clear he will be heading back to the west coast. Most likely would sit out a year so a possible takeover option IF (big if) we get suggs and he's a one and done. '

I also want to make it clear he is NOT tied to any of the legal troubles currently plaguing some of Georgetown's roster. It appears is transfer is wholly separate.

Quote Originally Posted by LeightonZag View Post
    Just announced his immediate transfer from Georgetown. Big east freshman of the year last year. Averaged 13, 3, and 5 last year on some iffy shooting splits (37/39/81). His shooting numbers are even lower this year but he is an intriguing prospect at pg.

His name is already being linked to Gonzaga on twitter and it sounds like he's made it clear he will be heading back to the west coast. Most likely would sit out a year so a possible takeover option IF (big if) we get suggs and he's a one and done. '

I also want to make it clear he is NOT tied to any of the legal troubles currently plaguing some of Georgetown's roster. It appears is transfer is wholly separate.
    1:1 A/TO ratio and shooting 35% from the floor for a PG? Hmmmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    1:1 A/TO ratio and shooting 35% from the floor for a PG? Hmmmmmmm
    I'm not sure where you're getting the 1:1 assist to turnover, hes averaging 4.4 assists and 2.3 turnovers which is slightly down from last year when he was Big East Freshman of the Year.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...-akinjo-1.html

I know the coaching staff showed interest out of high school and I'm sure they would have to do some digging on why he is leaving Georgetown.

If James is not involved in any of the legal troubles at GTown, to me he is a no-brainer add if he wants to be a Zag. Our weakness now and next year (at a minimum) is our depth in the back court. Adding James would be terrific and a great safety net if we don't land Suggs. If we land Suggs, well now our back court with James, Dom, Suggs, and Ayayi is a huge strength to go along with perhaps a top front court in America.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    I'm not sure where you're getting the 1:1 assist to turnover, hes averaging 4.4 assists and 2.3 turnovers which is slightly down from last year when he was Big East Freshman of the Year.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...-akinjo-1.html

I know the coaching staff showed interest out of high school and I'm sure they would have to do some digging on why he is leaving Georgetown.
    Got it from the SlipperStillFits.com article:

Since arriving at Georgetown, Akinjo has averaged 13.4 points, 2.9 assists, 2.9 turnovers, while shooting 35 percent from the floor. He hasn’t been a particularly good shooter from three point range this year, but last season, he shot 39 percent from long range. Most importantly (at least compared to this year), Akinjo shots 81 percent from the free throw line.
    I guess they got the stat wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagBlue View Post
    If James is not involved in any of the legal troubles at GTown, to me he is a no-brainer add if he wants to be a Zag. Our weakness now and next year (at a minimum) is our depth in the back court. Adding James would be terrific and a great safety net if we don't land Suggs. If we land Suggs, well now our back court with James, Dom, Suggs, and Ayayi is a huge strength to go along with perhaps a top front court in America.
    He's not a grad transfer, though, so most likely would need to sit out a semester or more, depending on when he is actually withdrawing from school.

Guessing he'd have to do something about that forearm tattoo before he saw much floor time for the Zags
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Why not just recruit another freshman guard next year? Coaches must be high on this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    Why not just recruit another freshman guard next year? Coaches must be high on this guy.
    Or OR this is self consideration and nothing from the Zags at all. You never know. Coaches may be involved by just not leaving any stone unturned (Derryck Thornton)

I wouldn’t put a lot of stock in it (yet)
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Stats are what they are. if hes smart and of good character, we couldve used him this year for sure.

“Georgetown takes student conduct issues very seriously and ensures that they are investigated thoroughly. While we are not able to comment on specific cases, we have processes for investigating and adjudicating alleged violations of our student code that are fair to both parties.”

Washington’s Metropolitan Police Department provided two incident reports, dating to September and centering on the same property in northwest Washington. They don’t identify either player by name. According to the reports, the victim charges one of the suspects with “showing her his erect clothed penis.”

A week later on Sept 16, three male suspects entered the property and took several items, including a camera and camera lens and two PlayStation controllers, according to one of the reports. When subsequently contacted by video call, the suspect threatened the victim, allegedly saying “If you tell anyone, we’ll send people after you.”

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/ap...asketball-team

As always, I trust the staff. If the kid transfers immediately, I believe wherever he chooses he will be eligible after the first semester next season. I have no idea if he'd have interest in Gonzaga but we can always use quality backcourt depth, which I believe he would be.

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    “Georgetown takes student conduct issues very seriously and ensures that they are investigated thoroughly. While we are not able to comment on specific cases, we have processes for investigating and adjudicating alleged violations of our student code that are fair to both parties.”

Washington’s Metropolitan Police Department provided two incident reports, dating to September and centering on the same property in northwest Washington. They don’t identify either player by name. According to the reports, the victim charges one of the suspects with “showing her his erect clothed penis.”

A week later on Sept 16, three male suspects entered the property and took several items, including a camera and camera lens and two PlayStation controllers, according to one of the reports. When subsequently contacted by video call, the suspect threatened the victim, allegedly saying “If you tell anyone, we’ll send people after you.”

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/ap...asketball-team
    The players are named on ESPN today and it wasn't him...just to clarify

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    The players are named on ESPN today and it wasn't him...just to clarify
    Georgetown announced Monday that LeBlanc and starting point guard James Akinjo were leaving the program. Akinjo, last season's Big East Freshman of the Year, was not mentioned in either of the complaints.

"Georgetown University men's basketball players James Akinjo and Josh LeBlanc will not be playing for the men's basketball team effective immediately and will not be members of the team for the remainder of the season," the school's statement read.

The school did not give a reason for Akinjo's and LeBlanc's departures and has not made any announcements regarding Gardner or Alexander.

It did release an updated statement on Monday night following the discovery of potential legal issues.

"Georgetown takes student conduct issues very seriously and ensures that they are investigated thoroughly. While we are not able to comment on specific cases, we have processes for investigating and adjudicating alleged violations for our student code that are fair to both parties. We encourage any student who has a concern to be in contact with the Georgetown University Police Department or the Office of Student Conduct."

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ult-harassment

Georgetown announced Monday that LeBlanc and starting point guard James Akinjo were leaving the program. Akinjo, last season's Big East Freshman of the Year, was not mentioned in either of the complaints.

"Georgetown University men's basketball players James Akinjo and Josh LeBlanc will not be playing for the men's basketball team effective immediately and will not be members of the team for the remainder of the season," the school's statement read.

The school did not give a reason for Akinjo's and LeBlanc's departures and has not made any announcements regarding Gardner or Alexander.

It did release an updated statement on Monday night following the discovery of potential legal issues.

"Georgetown takes student conduct issues very seriously and ensures that they are investigated thoroughly. While we are not able to comment on specific cases, we have processes for investigating and adjudicating alleged violations for our student code that are fair to both parties. We encourage any student who has a concern to be in contact with the Georgetown University Police Department or the Office of Student Conduct."

either very sloppy university release of information to tie a departure into same press release on student conduct or there could be a link to the allegations under investigation....seem to me that if Akinjo was simply leaving they would not tie the name in with others who are no longer on team for disciplinary issues.....but in Few I trust
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

I don’t think we have all the information yet.

It appears that he is transferring because he was kicked off the basketball team. If so, I think the coaches will need to find out what led to the dismissal.

So I’d rate this as a hold. (Not a buy or sell)

Akinjo wasn't named as one of three on ESPN that had legal issues. Maybe he just didn't want to be in that environment but he didn't have the restraining order or the accusations of assault/burglarly on him from the article. Again, just wanted to clarify about him, in regards to the article, as this is how rumors start. The next thing you know people start implicating him without knowing anything factual. Maybe he was dismissed, I don't know, but we need to trust our staff as always.

He's from Oakland. I wonder if SMC, USF or SCU will reach out to him?

Smile 2020-2021 Transfers

Kind of wanted to start a thread on this too. Never too soon to look ahead for possible to-Zags transfers. Really think we could use a bit more depth at guard.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...020-21-2021-22

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

A driver who absorbs a lot of contact and draws lots of fouls on the other team-- he had qty 165 free throws last year (81% FT shooter)-- Josh Perkins had qty 87 (also an 81% ft shooter).

Depending on what happens -- if the staff takes a look at him and decides he is a fit -- we can use the depth and experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    Akinjo wasn't named as one of three on ESPN that had legal issues. Maybe he just didn't want to be in that environment but he didn't have the restraining order or the accusations of assault/burglarly on him from the article. Again, just wanted to clarify about him, in regards to the article, as this is how rumors start. The next thing you know people start implicating him without knowing anything factual. Maybe he was dismissed, I don't know, but we need to trust our staff as always.
    Was just watching Outside the Lines and it sounds like he was not involved in the off court issues, just wanted a change of scene.

Guard that shoots better than 40% from the free throw line? Why would we want that?

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    Guard that shoots better than 40% from the free throw line? Why would we want that?
    That's mean!
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

I would say that Twitter got a little ahead of themselves today... Gonzaga priority number 1, 2, and 3 currently is Mr. Suggs and all indications of my last check in indicate he will be a Zag.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    I would say that Twitter got a little ahead of themselves today... Gonzaga priority number 1, 2, and 3 currently is Mr. Suggs and all indications of my last check in indicate he will be a Zag.
    Conceding that priority, it'd still be nice to recruit some depth behind Suggs. Suggs in No. 1, no doubt, but this kid looks promising as a backup.

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!