Thread: Calling on the Experts! LIZF! ZAGPHISH! 03ALUM!

Hybrid View

Default Calling on the Experts! LIZF! ZAGPHISH! 03ALUM!

I have a beer question for this forumís learned scholars of the brewing arts...and Iím way too lazy to just Google it, so I will pose the question to the smartest people I know that I donít actually know:

WHAT is the difference...between a porter...and a stout?
    MCMM 2020: Who Wants Some Cheese?

"The only main difference many brewers still agree on is the kind of malt that should be used to brew each type of beer. Porters use malted barley and stouts are primarily made from unmalted roasted barley, which is where the coffee flavor most people associate with stout comes from."

-- Pope John Paul II, in the Library, with the candlestick

Technically, the porter is not really defined. It's a blurry line as a result.

I like what Reno posted, as that comes about as close to a defining line as you might get -- but front loaded with the "many brewers agree" qualifier. So, you know, soft definition.

I feel like porters are like port and stouts are like brekkie -- all oatmeal, toast and coffee.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Much like the differences between a Pilsner, a Lager and a Beer. Some would throw Ales into this mix as well, but they are brewed differently. Probably Lambics and Sours as well.

I like them all, but like Porters much more than Stouts...at least with what is commercially bottled.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

I actually did Google this topic before I Foogled it. For the most part, it sounds like any real distinction between the two styles is often lost, because brewers themselves use the labels interchangeably.

Thanks to all who participated in the discussion so far. I’m hoping to continue it a little over the next day or two.
    MCMM 2020: Who Wants Some Cheese?

To me, and it is completely subjective, MOST stout is too dark and too strong flavored, while MOST porter is less so (I do like a good Black and Tan).

There are some Stouts that I really like and there are some Porters that I do not, so it really is just my own prefernces and opion.

That being said, I mostly have been drinking IPA's when I drink something other than mainstream commercial brew.

I also DO remember the Budweiser slogan that 'Nothing beats a Bud', and I honor that to a 'T;. If the choice is nothing, or a Bud, I do what they said...I choose nothing.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!