• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 23dpg
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

What keeps you off the MBB?

This is the inverse of Reborn’s thread on the mbb, “What keeps you coming back”

I use to love posting about basketball. I rarely do anymore. A few reasons. I won’t use names to protect the guilty.

1. Some of the least knowledgeable posters are the “loudest” with their opinions. Much like life.

2. The negativity. I also use to really like posting in the game threads. No longer. There are games where GU is up 25 and you’d think they were on an eight game losing streak.

There are more. Too bad.
    Birds aren’t real.
  • RenoZag
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by 23dpg View Post
    This is the inverse of Reborn’s thread on the mbb, “What keeps you coming back”

I use to love posting about basketball. I rarely do anymore. A few reasons. I won’t use names to protect the guilty.

1. Some of the least knowledgeable posters are the “loudest” with their opinions. Much like life.

2. The negativity. I also use to really like posting in the game threads. No longer. There are games where GU is up 25 and you’d think they were on an eight game losing streak.

There are more. Too bad.
    I've posted my last "Game Thread" OP; doing so made me feel like an enabler of poor behavior. They've become predictably toxic & hideous, especially the games that air on ESPN's networks (more viewers / posters ) Here's some examples from the Michigan Game Thread and the names are not redacted to protect the guilty:

Timme's softness is shocking-- Goshzagit
    Woolridge driving game is awful, just a wasted possession every time-- Goshzagit
    Petrusiv is so weak. Can’t stand it-- U Zig, I Zag
    Team is soft. Skilled but soft -- Zags 11
    Wooldrige + Gilder might be the worst Gonzaga guard tandem in my lifetime. Those two are literally worthless -- pcm541
    Woolridge looks like a natural soccer player who ended up on a basketball court -- LTownZag
    Gilder like a Ghost and Woolridge like Wonka, looks like he can play but lives in a world of pure imagination -- Goshzagit
    Petrusev is garbage -- pcm541
    Our bigs are soft. Zero toughness going up. They flop-- Zags11
    Soft beyond soft our bigs are -- jazzdelmar
    Our bigs attack the rim with all the tenacity of box turtle -- U Zig, I Zag
    Timme is pathetically weak -- jazzdelmar
    Watson doesn’t like contact anymore than any of the others -- hooter73

Your 1st bullet point is absolutely correct.
    Last edited by RenoZag; 12-06-2019, 07:59 AM.
    The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• bartruff1
      Zag for Life
      • Jan 2010

A triumph of experience over hope...

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
        Administrator
        • Apr 2009

I definitely prefer the company of the folks on the Foo over the larger MBB crowd. I’ve only met one Fooster in person, but I suspect that I would really enjoy catching a game and/or a beer with any of you.
        “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

• RenoZag
          Super Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by bartruff1 View Post
          A triumph of experience over hope...
          well played
          The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• sittingon50
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

What's the MBB & where do I find it?
            But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• TheZagPhish
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

I thought this was my house....

Where am I exactly?
              Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Comment

• DZ
                Zag for Life
                • Sep 2007

Originally posted by TheZagPhish View Post
                I thought this was my house....

Where am I exactly?
                Our house. You're home.
                Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                Mark Twain.

Comment

• TheZagPhish
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by DixieZag View Post
                  Our house. You're home.
                  >clink<
                  Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Comment

• gu03alum
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

I like voting for the G Unit and posting in the what are you drinking during the game thread and that's about it. I find most of the topics uninteresting and many of them appear to be circular firing squads.
                    Bring back the OCC

Comment

• DZ
                      Zag for Life
                      • Sep 2007

Originally posted by gu03alum View Post
                      I like voting for the G Unit and posting in the what are you drinking during the game thread and that's about it. I find most of the topics uninteresting and many of them appear to be circular firing squads.
                      I can deal with the griping, so long as it isn't that mean-spirited, people are people.

I just find that there's less analysis of actual basketball.

I don't know a lot of basketball. Last organized team I was on was being 7th man for the Frosh team in HS, and I crapped out from there.

So I learned a ton from people. That analysis seems to be missing, or scarce, anyway.

Not a ton of information about other teams, what they're doing, either.

I would never know what's happening to the other WCC teams without it, yet there is less and less.
                      Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                      Mark Twain.

Comment

• gu03alum
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by DixieZag View Post
                        I can deal with the griping, so long as it isn't that mean-spirited, people are people.

I just find that there's less analysis of actual basketball.

I don't know a lot of basketball. Last organized team I was on was being 7th man for the Frosh team in HS, and I crapped out from there.

So I learned a ton from people. That analysis seems to be missing, or scarce, anyway.

Not a ton of information about other teams, what they're doing, either.

I would never know what's happening to the other WCC teams without it, yet there is less and less.
                        I agree
                        Bring back the OCC

Comment

Working...
                        X