Thread: Thru 7 Games - What have we Learned??

Default Thru 7 Games - What have we Learned??

Now that we are through the first seven (7) games of the OOC schedule with an OT loss to Stanford at the farm and a championship trophy from the Gulf Coast Showcase, the questions for the board are:

1. What have we learned about this year's team that maybe we did not know or did not expect prior to the start of the season?

2. What do you expect for the remaining five (5) games of the OOC schedule?

What say you board members?

ZagDad

May have not learned a lot... but confirmed.

The starting 5 are the best in the WCC and more...

The bench is very talented but needs time on the floor... not sure when that may happen in the next five games.

The team has gamers... that was shown in the tournament. An 11 to 3 run at the end of the championship game showed that.

The coaching staff being together for six years is great and the team seems ready to go... the halftimes seem to be positive.

As for the next five games... all will have different challenges... I just hope they are able to give the bench the time they will need and not overwork the starting five.

The Championship picture is a great example of how this team has come together... and it is fun seeing them enjoying each other.

On another note: saw the EWU Pepperdine game... anyone have a thought on why Pepperdine seems to go through so many head coaches... I see they have another new one this year.

Go Zags!!

Quote Originally Posted by SkipZag View Post
    On another note: saw the EWU Pepperdine game... anyone have a thought on why Pepperdine seems to go through so many head coaches... I see they have another new one this year.
    Skip,

I don't know why she left, but DeLisha Milton-Jones was Pepperdine's head coach last year. Here is an paragraph from her bio.

"After a successful professional career, Milton-Jones began her collegiate coaching career in 2016 at Pepperdine University first as an assistant before her promotion to head coach in 2017. This year, she led the Waves to their first winning season since 2012 when they finished the season 22-12. Pepperdine reached the Sweet Sixteen of the WNIT, had the highest West Coast Conference finish since 2011 and the most wins since 2002.

In addition, Pepperdine tallied 12 more wins than the previous season, earned the No. 3 seed in the WCC Tournament and reached the semifinals for the first time since 2011."

Milton-Jones was, as you would expect, not terminated, but she resigned to become an assistant head coach and recruiting coordinator at Syracuse University.

To bad for the entire WCC, as she had turned Pepperdine around in only 2 years as head coach. It seems the Waves have taken a step back this year so far.

ZagDad

Thanks ZD...

Even though they have 5 redshirt seniors on the team, the team seems to be struggling. Seems to be a problem growing a program when you hire a coach that isn’t fully committed to the school, program, and student athletes... makes you see how lucky we are.

Maybe its the beautiful campus and ocean view...

Go Zags!!

Learned Melody has some moves and she really has come into her own. Melody has become the spark off the bench just like Jill was last year. Again only 7 games but Anamarie seems to be a slow developer and not able to use her height, also might have some communication issues. Truongs are getting playing time like no freshman has in a long time, hope they can develop and take advantage of it.

Maybe its the beautiful campus and ocean view...

Go Zags!!
    Surfs Up!!

After all, their mascot is a Wave.

ZagDad

What have we learned, IMO:

Team Wise:

I really like this team. This weekend showed the ladies could play with a traditional offensive team, a very fast, guard centric, offense that focuses on fast breaks and plays on the perimeter (can you say BYU) and the post heavy, physical team that wants to play in the paint. In every case the Lady Zags were the better team by double digits.

I think this team is better suited to play BYU than was last year's team. While the Truongs are not the ball handlers (yet) of Stockton and Jessie, they are much faster than CS, JT, LS on the defensive side of the ball. They, along with JL and KC, made the Purdue guards miserable all game long. They also are more willing than most of the Zag guards to take it to the hoop to help break the press. Truthfully, other than against MTSU, whose guards are extremely quick, the Truongs more than held their own against most of the rest of the Zags opposition.

I think this team can easily go 8 deep with some additional minutes from 2 others. You are going to see some big rotations (9-11) against the lower ranked teams on the schedule and against the better teams, probably go 7-8 deep with another 2-3 providing some minutes (probably less than 7-10) of relief.

While this team has not got the killer instinct (yet) and has let teams back into the game when the Zags should have ended it early, they showed great resilience when they fell behind Stanford and whenever a team this weekend shortened the lead, the Zags responded. It is hard to keep your foot on the gas when you are up 20+ points, so maybe they have some excuse.

At 7-1 with only an OT loss to Stanford, the Lady Zags are already ranked above where they were at this time last year. A good seed and the potential for hosting is possible, but they have to take care of business and that means not losing games to teams we should beat (which is most if not all of them).

Player Wise:
    JL is playing really very well. Seems more determined to take it to the hoop than last year. Occasionally attempts a too ambitious a pass (cross court through the key, bounce pass in the key, etc.) but she is rounding into her role as team leader very well.

KC is playing typical KC ball. A surefire shooter from outside that despite her small stature continues to crash the boards. She seems to be moving better this year around the key than she did last year.

JT looks to be back. A physical enforcer on the inside and a surefire shooter from 3, the stop and pop or the fade away. She has no problems faking the shot and taking it to the hoop amongst the trees. She may be slightly slower this year, but her tenacity on the court is more than welcome. A vocal leader on the court and a cheerleader off the court.

JW is certainly stronger this year and has expanded her game. The Purdue game showed that while she is much more physical this year she can still be pushed around by the more aggressive posts. Her offensive game has grown by leaps and bounds. Needs to work on not letting the double teams get to her and to pass when she is double (or more) teamed.

LW tends to go quietly about her business, then you see she has double digit rebounds. Frequently defers to others for offense but when she is open she will take the open shot or take it to the hoop. Not quite as polished as JW on the offensive side of the ball, but a better defensive player than her sister. When JW is not having a good day, LW, more often then not picks up the offensive slack.

I have been pleasantly surprised by the Truong twins. They have provided very good minutes and usually pretty darn good ball handlers for freshman. The MTSU guards showed both of the Truongs that they have a ways to go before they are elite ball handlers. However, for most of the rest of the games so far, the Truongs have looked more like late season sophomores than freshman. The Truong defense is extremely quick leading to steals and turnovers for the opposition. K-11 will likely get more minutes because she is the better ball handler, but K-14 is not too far behind. I am excited for the future of these two fine ladies.

MK started out slow, but she has come into her own this weekend. She is more physical and aggressive than either Wirth. While she does not have the outside game of the Wirths, she is excellent about getting to the hoop and drawing fouls. MK is a defensive presence that continually works to establish a hard inside position. If the finesse of the Wirths is not working, bring in the physicality of MK and JT.

I think that AV is having a hard time adjusting to the speed and physicality of the D1 game. The more she plays, the more comfortable she will become. I don't think that she will be a significant contributor this year, but she will be able to provide some quality relief minutes for the Wirths and MK. She may be able to stay with somebody who does not have a lot of speed or quickness like Hamson of BYU (at least the Hamson of last year) and give us some more minutes. But so far, she is frequently being pushed out of the key and forced to play from behind the opposition, which is not where we need her.

While she is not playing this year, I want to call out Cierra. She is the 1st one off the bench chest-bumping the starters before the game, she is giving 5 to all the players at each timeout. She is continuously providing encouragement throughout the game. She is going to be a fantastic team leader next year.

We have no insight on EH yet. I hope she heals well enough so she can get some minutes against Montana State, maybe WSU and Texas Southern. It would be nice to have her available for Missouri State.

I think the Lady Zags are the best team in the WCC and not by just a little bit. They have not played down to their competition this year and have looked good in every game. Other than taking a quarter or half a quarter off in the occasional game, they have looked very good all year. They have the ability and the skillset to win every game. Wyoming will be difficult because it is played at 7,200 feet in elevation. We will have to use most of our roster to keep fresh the entire game. WSU down there is always a question, because they really are tired of losing to the Zags. Missouri State is currently ranked #22, so playing a ranked team, even at home, is never easy.

I think we lose one more game in our OOC schedule and, for the first time with the 18 game conference schedule, run the WCC schedule, 18-0.

ZagDad

Pretty fair assessment of the first 7 games. We were able to travel to the tournment and enjoyed 6 days of sun and basketball. The one thing that really stood out is the depth that this team had over the competition. And not just a number depth of quality players but with types of players. Whatever the strengths the other team jad the Zags were able to match that. The Truongs have upped the Zags all around game. They were not intimated by anyone. They are a very talent pair. In the MTS game I think they tried to do a little too much but other then that they outplayed whoever was up against them. They like to create chaos which most of the time is a good thing. JT brings something different to the offense this year and that she is very capable of posting up. CLF and the staff have built a very complete team that can play against all kinda of different styles. Not sure if they can run the table in the WCC but they have the tools to do it.

As far as scheduling OCC, the girls were going to host Arizonia St. this year in a home and home but they both ended up in this tournment.
    Arizona St. wanted the sisters to be able to play each other before JL graduates. Should be an away game next year for us.

I just want two home NCAA games this year......beyond that I would love us to break thru to the elite 8.....is it possible.....always possible if the seedings are fair and we get those first two games...

I think the Truongs are the big difference this year....I find them amazing......as much as I was impressed with the freshmen LS and her confidence and aggression, the Truongs are far beyond it.....both of them....

and Mel.....I just knew her timidness last year was just newbie nerves......she is on fire.....

Jess......she is on a mission......

KC.......she is having a blast....ever see her get a steal....she is grinning clear down the court.....

Wirths are bolder and more offensive minded....and lets not discount Lee...she has made a lot of great plays.....

JT is the forgotten player what with the flash of the Truongs and Jess and KC..which is going make her open for many shots and rebounds....

hope to see LF get more minutes and I am not too worried about Ana......she seems confused out there but she is 6'5 out there and she'll help us....

getting back to the Truongs.....I hope their parents can see the games on the internet.....the twins are very special.....

anybody going to Bozeman?

Been thinking about ZD saying that he thinks we will drop one of the OOC games before conference.

I hate to agree...

But it shouldn’t happen if they go into every game like they are playing Stanford... and that is CLF’s job. And that doesn’t mean at halftime.
    In years past, they have let a few games get by them... I’m hoping that’s in the past.

All five games will have a challenge to them and you can bet every opponent will be looking to knock off the top 20 team...

And that will mean all the coaching staff will need to be ready and prepared.

Game on!!

Go Zags!!

Preseason European trip a huge boost for this team. There's a unique sense of team awareness & mission from player one (JT in my estimation) all the way thru the lineup. The extra month of game preparation is showing up in fewer & fewer turnovers per game, defensive cohesiveness, and the resolve to answer other teams' scoring runs with bursts of their own. I admit I underestimated this group, primarily because I couldn't see where leadership would come from. The answer to that is practically everyone of the first eight players can take charge, a luxury even few of the top teams possess. Even the freshmen (as others have noted) are performing well beyond their peers at other DIV I schools.

How far can they go? Missouri St game will be the marker. Get past WSU & Missou St. & it's easy to predict what some have already mentioned: Winning the WCC with perhaps one loss. Getting a five seed & home court for the start of the tourney. Eventually they'll run into the Baylors and UConns of women's collegiate Bball & the ride will end. But what a fun ride it will be. You go, girls! Have fun & gitter done!

Been thinking about ZD saying that he thinks we will drop one of the OOC games before conference.

I hate to agree...
    Now that didn't hurt did it?

ZagDad