Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What keeps you coming back

A triumph of hope over experience....

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    A triumph of hope over experience....
    That's a pretty cool idea, Bartruff1. Love it. I really like it. I may have to borrow it, but will give you credit of course.

Go Zags!!! Every time I type Go Zags!!! and put my 3 exclamation points behind it (and irritate some irritants) I do feel what you said, "A TRIUMPH of HOPE over experience." I mean I had that feeling but just never had the words to express that feeling until now. That's going to be my theme for this year. Thanks!

Go Zags!!!

"A triumph of hope over experience." (bartruff1)
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

I come back because of my love for the Zags. I've been following since 1994 here in Las Vegas. I LOVE this board! U all are my Zag family and friends. Win or lose, but much better when we win, which we do often.

I've met a few of u in person, most notably WooHoo, we hooped out here, lol Always looking forward to putting a face with the names here

What a ride we have all shared over the past 20+ years!!
    ZAG 4 LIFE

I keep coming back here because after moving away from Spokane in 1993, this is the only place I am understood and appreciated (?:-) for my passionate following of Gonzaga hoops. Over the years, all you regulars - none of whom I have ever met in person, as far as I know - have started to feel like friends too. It really is a kind of community in here.

Surprisingly, as I approach 50 this March, my bucket list changes and I now include a trip back to Spokane for first ever game in the MAC and a gathering of GUBoard members. I seriously plan to do just that within the next few years.

When things are not perfect in my personal life or professional life, I can always come here and be reminded things aren’t perfect anywhere.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Gotta do something quiet when you wake up at 3 AM

Go Zags!
    And I hope the Eagles give the Fuskies fits tomorrow!

Coming back? What if this is where we live?

Not really like it "used to be," but sure beats nearly every other place on the net. Sure miss some of the old timers that no longer are as active as they once had been.

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    I keep coming back here because after moving away from Spokane in 1993, this is the only place I am understood and appreciated (?:-) for my passionate following of Gonzaga hoops. Over the years, all you regulars - none of whom I have ever met in person, as far as I know - have started to feel like friends too. It really is a kind of community in here.

Surprisingly, as I approach 50 this March, my bucket list changes and I now include a trip back to Spokane for first ever game in the MAC and a gathering of GUBoard members. I seriously plan to do just that within the next few years.

When things are not perfect in my personal life or professional life, I can always come here and be reminded things aren’t perfect anywhere.
    Glad to see you put coming back to Spokane and GU for a visit on your bucket list. It's definitely a must do experience, especially for someone like you. I'm also glad that this board can remind you, as it reminds me too, that things aren't perfect anywhere. Thanks for the reminder.

Quote Originally Posted by SWZag View Post
    Sure miss some of the old timers that no longer are as active as they once had been.
    Me too.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

When I wake up in the morning, this is the first place that I come to start my day with a cup of coffee. For me it's really a good way to start my day. It's a pretty good place to get information about Gonzaga basketball, as well as a place to share information about MBB at Gonzaga. There are occasions when some writers share their insights about the team that I cannot get any place but here.

Another reason that I keep coming back here is to be a part of a team of writers who discuss Zag basketball openly and candidly at times. I think that maybe because I participated in some really good teams growing up, that I still enjoy that feeling of being on a team. I get that feeling here with you all. It's also important to me to actively participate in things that are important to me and in my small way contribute whatever I can to it. I get that feeling here.

Go Zags!!!
    "A triumph of hope over experience" (bartruff1)

I have been around this board since its inception, and its predecessor(s) for several years before that but I have definitely become a much less active poster -- I'm around most days, but just I just don't post. For those of us who live far away, this is a great way to maintain a sense of connection with our other alumni and friends of GU. I find this site for more accessible and authentic than the 'official' communications I receive from GU -- communications that increasingly seem like they're coming from a place that is unfamiliar and unrecognizable in many ways. Keep up the good work everyone -- even if this lurker doesn't regularly express it, I'm grateful for your insights!

None of my friends or family are Zags fans, so this is where I come to celebrate wins, mourn defeats and get most of my Zags fix.
    I was also on the previous board, so I have been mostly lurking for a long time.
    “People have an uncanny ability to make me think I am smarter than I really am. Human Beings bring me back to reality.” S.T.

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    Yeah... we need some new blood in here too. Look at the Join Date for everyone in this thread. No one new post-2013.
    Can I be the first one? I came here because I am a hard core Gonzaga fan; have been since March Madness of 1999. I belong to another sports board (the 506), been a member there for over 10 years, but I am the only Gonzaga fan that posts there (that I know of). I know exactly who MattSarz is, and all of us here and at the 506 greatly appreciate his hard work in putting together the weekly college basketball schedules.

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    Can I be the first one? I came here because I am a hard core Gonzaga fan; have been since March Madness of 1999. I belong to another sports board (the 506), been a member there for over 10 years, but I am the only Gonzaga fan that posts there (that I know of). I know exactly who MattSarz is, and all of us here and at the 506 greatly appreciate his hard work in putting together the weekly college basketball schedules.
    Not sure you're the first, but welcome!
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

I keep coming back because of the love for the Zags, but also I really like the community here! Plus hoping I get in on the next Moderator trip

How else would I get my Zag fix?

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    Plus hoping I get in on the next Moderator trip
    Oh.

Sorry.

It's like this. We had room for 6 and you were the 7th guy. Maybe next year. And I didn't get the nod my rookie year either.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Default Zag fan 4 life

Quote Originally Posted by FlyZag View Post
    How else would I get my Zag fix?
    I grew up in Spokane and followed the Zags through the newspaper when I was a kid. As a fluke, I went to my only game at the Kennel the weekend after Cavalry broke the backboard. I have been a season ticket holder since the new Kennel opened. I rarely post, but love reading what people have to say here.

love of the zags......dad attended and graduated in 1961 and then law school 1965 6 of his 8 kids attended....including one who also graduated from law school

love of the game of basketball

good people who share the same love described above
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

the opportunity to share emotional ups and downs with fanatic zag fans who share my passion for it...where else is an out of towner going to find that? and also to match wits with the basketball savvy of the board. I'm grateful for all of that and more, miss some old posters too, and love the new blood. it all keeps me comin back

and Few is a coaching hero to me and an inspiration not to give in to the BS

I keep coming back mostly because other than a few phone call zag fans, I watch the games alone yet am a compulsive, fanatical zag fan. Everyone up and down the hall where I worked were talking about Dan Dickau and Blake Stepp seems like 17 years ago or so, thus I started paying attention. I didn't know how to find blogs or message boards, and participated too much in a board on GU basketball for years that was almost dead. Someone on that Board mentioned this one and it was like finding gold. Still so happy this Board exists. Glad most people in here put up with me, all I have is gung ho enthusiasm and desire to be accepted. Not easy because I am corny, lack basketball knowledge, cannot talk X's and O's, do not know much of the Basketball vocabulary, and never have much insight to offer. Hope I have worked my way off some people's ignore button. I never went to GU, never played basketball, but I feel almost reverent about the improbability of this program achieving what it has achieved. When has a mid major NCAA Div One basketball been on such a consistent rise to an elite level? This is a Dave Wottle or Shorter winning a longshot Gold Medal, but doing it year after year after year. Though I am on the periphery of this family, I still marvel at the maturity and class of this message board, when I compare it to other D1 basketball boards, and want to be part of this, even though I do not know, and have never met another single person who posts here [except once to transfer tickets]. The loss to UCLA when we were ahead by 17 is still a knife in my gut, and BY FAR, the most painful sports loss I have ever endured. So mad at the media for focusing on Ammo's tears. Love the zags, I can't contain my enthusiasm, wear zag gear everywhere I go, have traveled by myself when I lived in Spokane to Pullman, Hec-Ed, Las Vegas, Key Arena, and Portland to see games, and when I have lived in Seattle I have traveled by myself to McCarthy Center, Spokane Arena (long time ago), Portland, Pullman, and Las Vegas. I learn a ton about the players, GU and the game of basketball. That is why I keep coming here.
    Last edited by ZagsGoZags; 12-03-2019 at 10:14 PM.

I'm just here so I don't get fined bro!

I come for the Dave Wottle references, awesome. My favorite runner all time. Bowling Green State U.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    I keep coming back mostly because other than a few phone call zag fans, I watch the games alone yet am a compulsive, fanatical zag fan. Everyone up and down the hall where I worked were talking about Dan Dickau and Blake Stepp seems like 17 years ago or so, thus I started paying attention. I didn't know how to find blogs or message boards, and participated too much in a board on GU basketball for years that was almost dead. Someone on that Board mentioned this one and it was like finding gold. Still so happy this Board exists. Glad most people in here put up with me, all I have is gung ho enthusiasm and desire to be accepted. Not easy because I am corny, lack basketball knowledge, cannot talk X's and O's, do not know much of the Basketball vocabulary, and never have much insight to offer. Hope I have worked my way off some people's ignore button. I never went to GU, never played basketball, but I feel almost reverent about the improbability of this program achieving what it has achieved. When has a mid major NCAA Div One basketball been on such a consistent rise to an elite level? This is a Dave Wottle or Shorter winning a longshot Gold Medal, but doing it year after year after year. Though I am on the periphery of this family, I still marvel at the maturity and class of this message board, when I compare it to other D1 basketball boards, and want to be part of this, even though I do not know, and have never met another single person who posts here [except once to transfer tickets]. The loss to UCLA when we were ahead by 17 is still a knife in my gut, and BY FAR, the most painful sports loss I have ever endured. So mad at the media for focusing on Ammo's tears. Love the zags, I can't contain my enthusiasm, wear zag gear everywhere I go, have traveled by myself when I lived in Spokane to Pullman, Hec-Ed, Las Vegas, Key Arena, and Portland to see games, and when I have lived in Seattle I have traveled by myself to McCarthy Center, Spokane Arena (long time ago), Portland, Pullman, and Las Vegas. I learn a ton about the players, GU and the game of basketball. That is why I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    If you are a real good friend of any good family (which Gonzaga certainly is) than that family considers you part of their family. You are certainly part of the Gonzaga family. Your love and affection for Gonzaga basketball is so deep. Thank you for sharing your passion here,

Go Zags!!!
    "A triumph of hope over experience (bartruff1)

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Oh.

Sorry.

It's like this. We had room for 6 and you were the 7th guy. Maybe next year. And I didn't get the nod my rookie year either.
    Haha look forward to it

I've had this site on my favorites list since 2007 because it's the best place to find all the Gonzaga basketball related news to quench my never ending curiosity. We have such great posters, from ZagNative sharing all media even remotely related to Zag B-Ball to CDC's impressively intelligent, insightful opinions. I used to really love BobZag's inside info and the offseason scrimmage reports too, but it seems both are now just fond memories.

Every sports team* should have a great mix of fans contributing to such a well run site.

Thank you to the contributors who post and moderators who keep this place running so well.

*That made me think of another discussion...What are the highest rated sports team boards out there? And why do people consider them to be the best?
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.