• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Reborn
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2007

What keeps you coming back

I've been around here for 15 years or more now. Honestly, I stopped counting along time ago. Well, haha actually I never have counted. Ha ha h a ha...but it's been a long time. I was thinking about it this morning. Why I keep coming around here and sharing with you all. For me it's sharing with you what I feel when I go back to Gonzaga, sometimes alone, some times with my kids or and grandkids, and I walk through the campus and just feel the spirit that is there. There's nothing really like it, as it feels so over powering in a good, loving way. And then I remember what it was like back in the late 60's when I went to school there.

Sometimes, while I'm walking through the campus I run in to a few students, and man oh man, are they ever friendly to me. Sometimes we'll stop and talk a little, and there's nothing quite like that. It is a feeling of a close family. I remember one time when I was strolling along the way. It was a very special day as new students were on campus with their parents (I think for the first time), and they were signing up for clubs to be in. There were booths along the pathway, filled with energetic Gonzaga Students. I just had to stop and talk to a few of them. AND whenever I told them I used to go to Gonzaga, they immediately treat me like I'm there brother (or dad...or actually their grandfather...hahahahaha).

When I watch Gonzaga play basketball I get that same feeling. It's just so special. I am here because most of the time I want to share that spirit with you all here. And most of the time we do. Sometimes, as you know, I don't..Times when I'm quite upset over a loss. Sometimes I embarrass myself and have to apologize. I know that most of you who come and participate with us here, or just come and read, have gone to Gonzaga, or go to Gonzaga, or just love Gonzaga basketball for some reason. I think Gonzaga's basketball team really has captured what that Spirit at the University is all about. It's a special place that's for sure, and it's a special kind of team. Sure the Zags are certainly winners, but it's honestly more than just the winning that attracts me to the team. AND if you have seen them play in K2 or the Kennel, in the last so many years, than you know what i'm talking about. And if you've been lucky enough to have gone downstairs where some gather to meet and talk before the game, and eat a little of the food and drink that's been prepared, and have met some of the players (current and past) who gather there after the games, than you really know what I'm talking about.

Maybe I'm still in the Thanksgiving spirit. But I sure love this men's basketball forum. Sometimes we quarrel or say stupid things to each other, but for me, it's okay because that's part of what being in a family is for me. Maybe inside i'm still a little kid who can get hurt, or mad one day, and by the next day everything is forgotten, and it's a new day with events to conquer and go through together. Keep comin back. All of you. You all really make this a very special community of Gonzaga basketball lovers.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!
  • GoZags
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

I sure enjoy talking Zags (and other important things) with you at our “coffee” meetings, Reborn. Will let
    you know next time I am in your neck of the woods.
    sigpic
    “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
    ——-
    List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
    Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

This is the only place that will tolerate me, and often barely at that. Happy TG, Bornie; and all.....

Comment

• gonzagafan62
        Zag for Life
        • Nov 2013

I live in Missouri 63 Miles SW of Saint Louis. Being able to talk to fellow zag fans is amazing.
        Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• RenoZag
          Super Moderator
          • Feb 2007

The cash and prizes. . .and it beats working
          Last edited by RenoZag; 12-02-2019, 08:35 PM.
          The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• krozman
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2008

You know how you go to thanksgiving with your wife and she meets everyone whos clearly more weird than you, and you return to your "normal" life thankful that you have it so good? Well, this board is something like that. There's the weirdos, the crazies, etc. And I get to be that guy for you, and vice versa. That and my wife is completely indifferent to GU basketball and so I need to be able to talk to people who speak my language.
            Krozman
            GU student 1996-2000
            Law Student 2000-2003

Comment

• Reborn
              Zag for Life
              • Oct 2007

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
              This is the only place that will tolerate me, and often barely at that. Happy TG, Bornie; and all.....
              hahahahahaha.....hahahaha hahahah Classic post, Jazz. Love it!

Comment

• Reborn
                Zag for Life
                • Oct 2007

Originally posted by GoZags View Post
                I sure enjoy talking Zags (and other important things) with you at our “coffee” meetings, Reborn. Will let
                you know next time I am in your neck of the woods.
                Nothing like talking Zagsisms in person with a fellow Board member. I'll be waiting for the call, GoZags!

Comment

• Reborn
                  Zag for Life
                  • Oct 2007

Originally posted by krozman View Post
                  You know how you go to thanksgiving with your wife and she meets everyone whos clearly more weird than you, and you return to your "normal" life thankful that you have it so good? Well, this board is something like that. There's the weirdos, the crazies, etc. And I get to be that guy for you, and vice versa. That and my wife is completely indifferent to GU basketball and so I need to be able to talk to people who speak my language.
                  hhahahaa hahahahaha quite funny, krozman. hahahahah this thread is getting me some good laughts....Glad I posted it.

Go Zags!!!

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
                    • Feb 2007

The moderator pay. We gave ourselves a raise last year.
                    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
                      • Feb 2007

We all have our differences at time but we are united as Zag fans. That’s why I come back.
                      "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• CB4
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2009

I like this board because many people in Spokane and in the Gonzaga admin and athletics pretend this board doesn't exist, but post or at least read here semi-regularly. So it's sort of like Fight Club.

Comment

• GoZags
                          Super Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
                          The moderator pay. We gave ourselves a raise last year.
                          As much as I enjoy my periodic "coffee" chats in Yakima with Reborn .... I really enjoyed the GUBoards "Moderator" getaway this past summer in the South of France. Thanks again for arranging that raise. Didn't think we'd ever be able to afford the private Charter Jet to Nice (airport for the playgrounds of Cannes and Monte Carlo) but that raise sure did the trick. Thanks again.
                          sigpic
                          “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
                          ——-
                          List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
                          Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• Zags11
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2008

A lot of known people left. I come back even when i vastly disagree with some posters and even when it has been personal. Its zags baby. We all want the same thing. The kids to grow up to be great humans and win games along the way and one day a title.

Comment

• sittingon50
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

I come back to watch woohoo time travel.
                              But we don't play nobody.

Comment

Working...
                              X