Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What keeps you coming back

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    I come for the Dave Wottle references, awesome. My favorite runner all time. Bowling Green State U.
    "HE'S GOT ONE KENYON !!! HE'S GOT THE OTHER !!!

Greatest sports call ever .... followed closely by "Do you believe in miracles?" "YESSS !!!" "Shot clock turned off ...." is also right up there.

Jim McKay and Al Michaels ... a coupla classics and I'll put Gus Johnson right up there, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LHid-nC45k

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Was that The greAt Jim McKay on the call? Oops, sorry need to read more. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    "HE'S GOT ONE KENYON !!! HE'S GOT THE OTHER !!!

Greatest sports call ever .... followed closely by "Do you believe in miracles?" "YESSS !!!" "Shot clock turned off ...." is also right up there.

Jim McKay and Al Michaels ... a coupla classics and I'll put Gus Johnson right up there, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LHid-nC45k

I worked with a former Zag in the 80's. He was so annoying talking Gonzaga Basketball incessantly but I liked the guy anyway. Being a Montana Graduate I felt Gonzaga was an ok program but nothing special for a long time. Then at a business conference that game with Florida (or was it Fl State) to advance to the elite 8 happened and we stood in the lounge watching it on a small TV. A long time ago now. I was so excited watching that game I began paying attention and watching games and have never stopped. The off season is just worse than a kid waiting for school to get out, man it seems so long. Now I'm the guy that can't shut up about Gonzaga basketball and Mark Few. I'm sure I am annoying but I will say I have generated many converts who are hooked as they paid attention subsequently. It's been an extremely satisfying experience to be a Zag fan and I thank all on this board for being rich with diversity, interesting in perspective and mostly classy. As someone else said, it's a little nutty on here at times but head and shoulders above most if not all other forums from other schools. I fly the colors, don the bumper stickers and licence plate frames and NEVER miss a game that is broadcast. I've made friends from this board, learned a ton about basketball I didn't know in spite of playing the game myself and look forward to each and every game (like tonight ) Thanks to the Mods that do a great job here and those who help others to find ways to stream games worldwide. Game on!
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

I made the mistake of investing a large amount of money in a promising young startup company, Snapco, that was marketing Zag-themed undergarments. I come back here now and then in the hopes of getting an update from bowser that would indicate that they're turning things around at Snapco but the long radio silence leads me to believe that the bulk of my investment has gone towards "business lunches" and "business entertainment" in seedy Caribbean port towns. Oh well, who would have guessed that the world wasn't ready for a return of the codpiece? Isn't fashion supposed to be cyclical?

I've been lurking on the board since 2003. During the season, I check in every day or some times several times a day! Why? I come here to celebrate our numerous victories and find consolation in the occasional loss. I enjoy the banter and the quick wits of many of the posters. I learn things about the game, the players and the coaches, and feel like an insider. When I wonder if it was just me, or were the refs and/or announcers really bad? I can find someone else with the same complaints and know, it wasn't just me. I used to work at GU and am currently on the Gonzaga campus, but as UW faculty. Even though I did not graduate from Gonzaga, I am actually a graduate of WSU and Whitworth, I will never consider myself a Coug, a Pirate and certainly NOT a Husky! In my heart, I will always be a Zag!

Quote Originally Posted by Zag Lady View Post
    I've been lurking on the board since 2003. During the season, I check in every day or so.... I will never consider myself a Coug, a Pirate and certainly NOT a Husky! In my heart, I will always be a Zag!
    Glad to have you, Zag Lady.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

I have been a Zags fan since the eighties. I caught the sickness from my dad. Maybe missed watching 20 games in all those years. Only been to the kennel once. I flew my dad to Spokane around 5 years ago from Arizona to watch a game. Been coming here and to the old forum for a long time to get my fix. Never post but enjoy reading all the posts. My dad still alive and we talk on the phone 5 days a week hashing over games, players, future players etc. Easy team to love. You guys and gals keep posting. It helps me get from game to game.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Welcome aboard Baker! no more lurking!!

I enjoy everything Gonzaga, read every article, and thread available.
    Got roped in by Karnowski his freshman year, since I was born and raised in Poland myself (now living in Ireland). Really easy to be a fan of such great team. The only downside are 2am games considering time difference between our countries. Since 2012 I have missed watching 1 game. I've been at 1 away game at SMU in Dallas, attended two WCC tournaments, and 1 home game in Spokane (thanks to one of the nice season ticket holders). Now planning on attending Orlando tournament next year to watch me some Zags.
    Probably the only Gonzaga fan in Ireland!

31 more days.

Quote Originally Posted by zaguarxj View Post
    I made the mistake of investing a large amount of money in a promising young startup company, Snapco, that was marketing Zag-themed undergarments. I come back here now and then in the hopes of getting an update from bowser that would indicate that they're turning things around at Snapco but the long radio silence leads me to believe that the bulk of my investment has gone towards "business lunches" and "business entertainment" in seedy Caribbean port towns. Oh well, who would have guessed that the world wasn't ready for a return of the codpiece? Isn't fashion supposed to be cyclical?

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    Gotta do something quiet when you wake up at 3 AM

Go Zags!
    And I hope the Eagles give the Fuskies fits tomorrow!
    Doesn't quite work that way at our house...the dog wakes me up for her 3 AM constitutional, which fits my schedule fine now that I'm closer to 66 than 65.

Welcome to those who are new, or haven't posted much for a long time. I've read through this thread a couple times now, and the responses have been awesome.

There's just something about the family atmosphere at GU, I can't quite put my finger on it. I saw it in College Station after the A&M game. There were dozens of friends and family for our 3 Texas players, and I think they were a bit surprised to see the support the Zags had on the road. We're a pretty loud group, and enjoyed the chance to meet at the pregame social...thanks again to Bob Finn and the Houston Chapter.

What strikes me is how personable and friendly Zag players are. Not an ego in the bunch as far as I can see. Sure, I had to grovel a bit to get Killian to pose with Big D (lol), but it was worth it. Killian is Dillon's favorite player, and he's been waiting 4 years to meet him. As you can see, the security guard wasn't overly impressed with my approach.

It was a supreme thrill for Dillon that Corey remembered their first meeting two summers ago. Corey took time out of his evening workout to give him about 30 minutes of personal instruction. I will ALWAYS have Corey's back.

I'm just not sure one can obtain a "family atmosphere" at these huge mega institutions. We drove around the A&M campus Saturday morning, damn the place is huge. Where the Gonzaga campus is measured in 150 square acres, A&M is probably over 100 square miles. Probably an exaggeration, but you get the point.

Brings me back to the early years of our NCAA run, before anyone knew where Gonzaga is located. I'd be asked, "what was it like to go to Gonzaga?" I'd dust off a couple of stories, where the usual response was, "damn, my college experience was nothing like that." It was far more intimate back then, when the undergrad population was around 2000, though the campus hasn't lost its magic.

A few months ago, I reconnected with Fr. Bob Spitzer, during an appearance in Dallas. He graduated two years ahead of me. I'm embarrassed to say I didn't know of his academic pursuits at GU. We shared the same professor at Gonzaga, Dr. Dan Brajcich, aka "Black Dan". We spent those few, special minutes before his speech comparing notes on Black Dan. And when it came to economics professors, there was a constant with Dr. Erwin Graue: "there are no free lunches!" Taking classes with professors like these made my time at Gonzaga special.

Thanks to GoZags, I'm reminded of a tie that binds us together, the spirit of Fr. Tony Lehman, whom I miss greatly. He always had a smile on his face, and he had an uncanny ability to remember everyone by name.

What more can I say, but "what is it that brings me back?" To be continued...