Thread: AP Poll - Gonzaga moves up to #18

Nice move for the Ladies. I see that future opponent Missouri State is in at No. 22. That will be another big game.

Lady Zags up to #17 in the USA Today's Coach's poll this week.

ZagDad

Historically, what is the Lady Zags highest ranking?
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Our highest rating was achieved last year. I believe it was at #12.

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    Lady Zags up to #17 in the USA Today's Coach's poll this week.

ZagDad

USA Today Women’s Basketball Coaches Poll Link

Our highest rating was achieved last year. I believe it was at #12.

ZagDad
    Great memory...

-Gonzaga is ranked for the 11th-straight week after entering the polls at No. 24/22 on Dec. 3. Following wins at Pacific (Jan. 31, 63-51) and at Saint Mary's (Feb. 2, 66-52), Gonzaga moved up to No. 13 in the AP Poll and No. 12 in the USA Today/WBCA Coaches Poll. The Zags' No. 12 ranking is the highest in either poll in program history.
    This quote is from the February 15, 2019 article at GoZags.com titled: "No. 13/12 Gonzaga Faces BYU Saturday"...

Thanks TerpZag.

So, based on your quoted, on 12/3/2018 last year the Lady Zags were ranked 24/22 and this was the day after we had beaten Stanford which I am sure was the reason for us entering the poll. This year 0n 12/3/2019 we are ranked 17/18.

So we are ranked better than last year with both of the Stanford games behind us.

This year's team has the potential to be something special if they can finish their business.

GoZags,

ZagDad

Thanks for the answers.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Gonzaga up to #1 in the College Insiders Mid-Major Top-25.

Gonzaga received 25 of the 31 possible first place votes.

Link: http://www.collegeinsider.com/womens...7629&DB_LANG=C

ZagDad

Gonzaga up to #1 in the College Insiders Mid-Major Top-25.

Gonzaga received 25 of the 31 possible first place votes.

Link: http://www.collegeinsider.com/womens...7629&DB_LANG=C

ZagDad
    BYU at #7 in this poll is EXTREMELY generous, they haven't remotely earned it. They have 2 wins against D1 teams so far--Fresno St. and Utah St. Got thumped by Wazzu, lost to a not very good Utah team. How in the world is Pacific 9 spots below them?

BYU Coach Jeff Judkins is one of the 31 voting members.

ZagDad

BYU Coach Jeff Judkins is one of the 31 voting members.

ZagDad
    So...how many votes does he get? Or all the other members pandering to him and his team? BYU might go on to have a really good year like last season, but thus far they have done pretty much nothing and shouldn't be anywhere near the top of the mid major poll.

I am not positive ZD, but I don't think the Coaches get to vote for their team? However, lots of politicking goes on; for example, 1st poll, Pacific was left completely off...although the WCC Coaches chose Pacific to come in 3rd in the pre-season poll. St Mary's got votes in that first poll. Jeff J. does not like the Tigers, (not sure why)... even Drexel passed us the week before, even thought we closed out the Pre WNIT with a win on their home floor? This is the highest Pacific has been in any poll, for some time. The Ladies now go on a 7 game ROAD TRIP. 5 OOC games, and the first two conference games @Santa Clara and @ San Francisco. The game that should peak your interest, is on December 15th @ 2:00 pm AT UCLA. Should we be competitive in this game, it will go a long way to raise our 'RPI' ... and give the Zag's the added strength of schedule (which usually tails off during conference play). Team still jelling', and the season is shaping up to be a positive experience for them! IMO

I forgot, sorry, CONGRATS to the ZAG's for a great tourney! #18 and climbing! Hope you are in the top ten soon!

SeaCat and Kemo,

I do not know how the voting actually works (vote for yourself or not??), but I can't imagine any of these coaches paying very close attention to any teams other than the teams they are playing in their own OOC schedule.

When the teams get into conference schedule, particularly after the first half of the conference season, then the voting members will have a working knowledge of the teams in their own conference. Before the conference season starts, I think a lot of the votes are based on name recognition, last year's season, and who you have beaten (by name recognition only) this year. That is why there is such turnover from week to week. You can see teams in the Top 10 losing to a seemly nobody and then the losing team drops maybe even out of the poll. Next week the same team can beat a P5 team and the jump 10 spots.

In reality, having pre-season polls and polls in the first month or 6 weeks of the season is pretty worthless as the polls conducted this early have little to do with this year's actual performance on the court. Last week both #1 Oregon and #2 Baylor lost on the same day. Once you get 10-12 games under your belt, people can then begin to see the type of team everybody is putting on the court. But the early polls certainly gives us fans something to talk/complain/whine/etc. about even if the poll is not based very much on fact.

With that being said, I would much rather be ranked at this time of year and try and maintain or improve our position, than having to work to even get into the poll.

ZagDad