Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zags Face Purdue in Gulf Coast Showcase Championship on Sunday at 4:30pm

Kempton, Wirth help No. 22 Gonzaga women beat Purdue 63-50

Associated Press

ESTERO, Fla. -- Melody Kempton had a career-high 18 points, LeeAnne Wirth and Jessie Loera each scored 12, and No. 22 Gonzaga beat Purdue 63-50 on Sunday night to win the Gulf Coast Showcase.

Kempton made 7 of 12 from the field and 4 of 5 from the free-throw line.

Purdue used a 9-2 spurt to close the third quarter and open the fourth to trim its deficit to five points, but Kempton and Jessie Loera made back-to-back layups before Jill Townsend scored four straight points to spark an 11-1 run that gave the Bulldogs (6-1) a 15-point lead when Loera made another layup with 41 seconds remaining.

After Kayana Traylor's layup made it 52-57 with seven left in the game, the Boilermakers missed their next 11 field-goal attempts before Fatou Diagne's layup capped the scoring with 32 seconds to go.

Dominique Oden had nine points and eight rebounds for Purdue (6-1).

The Bulldogs made just 1 of 12 from 3-point range and shot just 38% from the field but committed a season-low eight turnovers. They had nine steals, including three by Loera, and scored 26 points off 21 Purdue turnovers.

The Boilermakers, who went into the game shooting 43.9% percent from the field, shot a season-low 34.7% (17 of 49).

Gonzaga has won four games in a row -- all by double figures -- since a 76-70 overtime loss to No. 3 Stanford on Nov. 17.

Purdue won its first six games of the season for the first time since 2011-12 and for the sixth time in program history.

Gonzaga plays at Montana State, and Purdue visits Virginia Tech, on Thursday.

ESPN Article Link

Bulldogs Claim 2019 Gulf Coast Showcase Title

Fourth nonconference tournament title in program history

ESTERO, Fla.The #22/21 Gonzaga women's basketball team claimed the title of the Gulf Coast Showcase with a 63-50 victory over Purdue on Sunday evening inside Hertz Arena in Estero, Fla. The title was the fourth nonconference tournament title in program history, and the first under Head Coash Lisa Fortier.

"It's really exciting; I'm really happy for these guys," Fortier said. "I thought they played really well the last two days and certainly today. [They] overcame really good shooters, really big players, the best shot-blocker in the country, really fast athletes and a bunch of different stuff. We had foul trouble intermittently, we had different players step up—we had a different high scorer every game. I'm really happy with their efforts. They played so hard and made big plays."

Gonzaga (6-1) was led in scoring by Melody Kempton with a career-high 18 points off 7-of-12 from the floor to go along with six rebounds, one block and one steal. Jessie Loera added 12 points, four assists and three steals, while LeeAnne Wirth finished with 12 points and six boards.

The Bulldogs opened the game shooting 45.5 percent for 14 points in the first 10 minutes while limiting Purdue (6-1) to nine points, the second-lowest quarter score for the Boilermakers this season. In the second quarter, the Zags turned up their defensive pressure, forcing 10 Purdue turnovers while forcing the Boilermakers to shoot just 25 percent from the floor. Gonzaga led the Boilermakers 31-20 heading into the break.

"We were really playing together," Fortier said. "We weren't letting them have any easy driving lanes initially, and so they started out really having to work for all their points. They didn't get any lobs on us because we had help side. The areas where they maybe had more of an advantage against us, we were able to limit dramatically."

Midway through the third quarter, Gonzaga extended its lead to 15 (42-27) off a layup from Kempton, but a quick 8-2 Purdue run over the next two minutes cut the lead to nine (44-35). Two free throws from LeeAnne Wirth gave the Zags a double-digit lead, and the Bulldogs kept Purdue at bay for the remainder of the quarter to boast a 10-point lead (50-40) at the end of the third.

A quick 5-2 run in favor of Purdue once more cut GU's lead to single digits, this time to five points (52-47) with just over 7:30 remaining in the fourth quarter. But the Bulldogs outscored the Boilermakers 11-3 over the final minutes to secure the 63-50 victory.

Purdue was led by Dominique Oden with nine points and eight rebounds, while Ae'Rianna Harris added 10 rebounds and six points.

Gonzaga continues play Thursday, Dec. 5 at 5 p.m. PT in Bozeman, Mont. For up to date game time information, check GoZags.com.

Gonzaga Article Link

Congrats to the Lady Zags for a well played tournament and coming home with the hardware. A very productive week. A victory over a P5 opponent. The first OOC tournament championship of the CLF era. Two very big checks in our favor come the March selection show. The flight home will seem much shorter when you come home as...………………….CHAMPIONS!! You have made the Gonzaga community very proud.

It also helped that the head of the NCAA Wbb selection committee (from Middle Tennessee State) was at the games and had a front row seat for the Zags victory. If you did not see the interview with the selection committee head from MTSU, replay the game and the interview is with Debbie Antonelli during halftime. She had a lot of information on how the selection process works and despite some board member's assertations, there is no black bag holding balls involved in the selection process.

This is the 7th year of the Gulf Coast Showcase, and being crowned tournament champions puts the Lady Zags in good company. Past champions include; Year #1-Middle Tennessee State, Year #2-#3 UConn, Year #3-#13 Stanford, Year #4-#5 Baylor, Year #5-#6 Notre Dame, Year #6-#10 Texas and Year #7-#21/22 Gonzaga. Pretty good company indeed.

You have to admire Ae'Rianna Harris of Purdue. Not only does she have over 300 blocked shots in her career but she also now has 877 rebounds in her career. Keep in mind that Ms. Harris probably has 25+ more games to play to add to these numbers. To put her numbers in perspective, here are the Lady Zag all-time records for rebounds (Kay Koppleman-983 - Shelby Cheslek-932) and blocks (Shelby Cheslek-213). Not bad for a 6'1" forward, not bad at all. She was everything she was made out to be. she went to the free throw line 8 times, had 10 rebounds and 3 blocks and really took JW out of her inside game. Unfortunately for Purdue, she played limited minutes due to foul trouble. Great Job, Zags, you took Purdue's best player out of the game, and when she was out, you went on your run. Nice Job.

Yesterday, here is what I projected that the Lady Zags had to do to come home with the trophy, so how did I do.

The lady zags have a great chance to come home with a tournament championship, if they play their team game with good ball movement, leading to an average shooting percentage overall, from 3 and from the charity stripe. They need to value the ball and limit Purdue's ability to score off turnovers. Purdue is not a great (above average) shooting team, thus GU needs to keep the Boilermakers to one and done to limit the number of second chance points.
    Well, I did not start out to well "average shooting percentage overall, from 3 and from the charity stripe" as the lady zags shot a slightly below average overall at 38.3% (but they outshot Purdue at 34.7%), they shot horribly from 3 pt range at only 8.3% @ 1-12 but Purdue could not take advantage of this because they shot only 3-13 from 3. From the charity stripe the Lady Zags were about average at 76.2% @ 16-21, which was better than Purdue who left some points at the charity stripe by shooting only 61.9% @ 13-21. The Zags were called for 22 fouls while Purdue was whistled for 18 but both teams shot the same number of free throws. So I don't get full credit for this one, but since the Zags were better on 2 of the 3 measurements than the Boilermakers, I am going to take partial credit.

They need to value the ball and limit Purdue's ability to score off turnovers Let's see, the Lady Zags only had 8 turnovers, the lowest number of the season, so this item was spot on. Conversely, the Lady Zags forced 21 turnovers leading to 26 points for Gonzaga off the Purdue turnovers. After scoring 19 points and 25 points off of turnovers in the first two games, the Boilermakers only made 7 (Yup 7) points off the Gonzaga turnovers. I think I nailed this point.

GU needs to keep the Boilermakers to one and done to limit the number of second chance points Well Purdue did win the rebounding battle 35-28, but both teams had 9 offensive rebounds so the ladies stayed with the Boilermakers on that point. However, the goal was to limit Purdue on their second chance points. In today's championship game, Purdue did beat the Zags in second chance points but only by a number of 5-2, so the Lady Zags definitely limited the Boilermakers on second chance points. Very good job ladies.

As expected, fast break points were not a major factor in Purdue's game. For the second time in three games, the Boilermakers had "0" fast break points while Gonzaga posted 6 fast break points.

The other major number with Purdue was the number of points they scored in the paint. Purdue scores the vast majority of their points in the paint and from the free throw line. In today's game, our Lady Zags had 30 points in the paint and held Purdue to only 7 points in the paint. Outscored the Boilermakers both in the paint and from the free throw line.

Here are a couple of other interesting facts about today's game from the Boilermaker site:
    - Ae'Rianna Harris fouled out for just the second time 111-game career. Nice job ladies, Harris just does not foul out and today you got her.
    - Sunday marked the first game this season without a player in double figures for the Boilermakers.
    - Purdue head coach Sharon Versyp did not get her 400th victory with the Zags on the court. She is still on 399 career victories.

I think the MTSU guards were much faster than the Purdue guards, and the opportunity to play MTSU first more than prepped the Zag backcourt for today's battle. JL, KC, JT, K11, K14 and even LF at times harassed the Purdue guards relentlessly leading to 21 turnovers including 9 steals. The Boilermakers could only force 8 turnovers of which only 3 where steals. If you want to come up with one stat that determined the game, it was this one.

Congratulations for a job done very well, ladies.

Rest on the flight and take tomorrow off of the court. Montana State is Thursday and your last chance on another P5 victory comes a week from today against the Cougars.

Go Zags,

ZagDad

I did listen to the interview and what stood out was the MTS admitting that its going to be more difficult for the lower tier programs to break thru in the NCAA selection because the P5 teams are going to 20 conference games per season....MORE difficult.....

Just say in order in increase our rpi we face Stanford once and Oregon State once and UW once and lets just say we win, would our rating be higher or lower than a Pac 12 team that plays Stanford twice and wins, and UW and Oregon state twice and wins......the P5 teams are just going to be rated higher no matter what... we'd be chasing our tails for no good reason.......and we're not changing conferences..

I still think it would be nearly impossible to schedule the number of P5 teams needed to be compared with P5 teams...its great to play them.....for experience....but we need to win the conference and the tourney every single year to be assured a good placement....

until we're like UCONN....which is NOT impossible.....we have to win out....

they talked about the 12-15 criteria for the selection committee with Rpi being just one of them, which according to the MTS official includes SOS.......HOWEVER the only little bit of reassurance I picked up on was that she and her other selection committee members must all decide the selection using the same criteria across the board, not one criteria for one conference or one team and different criteria for another......

lets take her for her word....

In the interview between Debbie Antonelli and CLF, Debbie asked CLF what she thought this victory did for the Zags and their post season tournament hopes. CLF said it was 3 wins against quality components and hopefully that would help with their RPI, but come conference season, the Zags have no control over the rest of the conference and how that impacts the RPI.

Since the zags cannot control how the other teams in the WCC perform or who the other teams in the WCC schedule, according to CLF, the only thing the Zags can control is the Lady Zags OOC schedule.

CLF knows the OOC schedule and how the Zags perform during the OOC schedule is the make or break points of an at-large bid.

ZagDad

Sooo... if the P-5s don’t want to play the Zags in the Kennel.... what’s one suppose to do?

The OOC is a tough call where you need to schedule some lower level teams to help them yet you need to schedule some
    P-5s to boost your RPIs. For GU, we get a bunch of lower level teams at the Kennel and P-5 teams on the road. Seem right?

We can only hope for a home and home in the future.

Go Zags!!

As I mentioned earlier in the year I was glad to see that the ZAGS got top of the line Knee pads leg wraps this year that BYU had last year. Noticed Melody, Wirth Twins, Truong twins all wearing them from the start of the year.

Noticed Jill coming off injury had none. But the tournament took it toll on her last game noticed on her right leg only she had a white knee pad wrap, but also had several athletic strips running up and down that leg.
    Which means she has some kind of pain going on in the right leg. Some players probably feel perhaps freer not wearing them Jessie, Katie so they don't wear them. But the ones that do wear them perhaps gives them a little more confidence if they have to scrap in the lane or on the floor, and perhaps prevent injuries. The good news is she hurt her left leg last year, and the knee wrap is on the right leg. But I worry that the left leg might have to overcompensate for her sore right leg with the knee pad. I understand Jill might not like the knee wraps, but if your going to wear one I think you should wear one on both legs to not create extra strain on the left leg.

Quote Originally Posted by SkipZag View Post
    Sooo... if the P-5s don’t want to play the Zags in the Kennel.... what’s one suppose to do?

The OOC is a tough call where you need to schedule some lower level teams to help them yet you need to schedule some
    P-5s to boost your RPIs. For GU, we get a bunch of lower level teams at the Kennel and P-5 teams on the road. Seem right?

We can only hope for a home and home in the future.

Go Zags!!
    I am going to quit pounding my head on the wall . One loss away from hosting last year and some people say the mid-majors never will get a fair shot. A 5th seed is not a good seed? Jeez.

Yes, WSU and Stanford are the road this year, but last year we had both in the Kennel, so that is to be expected. I would like to see at least (3) P5 teams scheduled every year outside of tournaments with at least one (1) of the P5 teams in the Kennel every year. I think that would give us sufficient opportunity to get an "at-large" bid and at least compete for a hosting seed (#4). Yes we would need things outside of our control to fall right, and it would never, entirely, be in our control, but at least we would have a fighting chance.

ZagDad
    Last edited by ZagDad84; 12-02-2019 at 11:42 PM.

I don’t have a problem with us and the dance... if we are good enough to make it, then let the games begin. My only problem is with the OOC schedule and some quality teams playing in the Kennel. Yes we get to see WSU and Stanford every other year... but what about one or two of the other 50 P-5s. I’m thinking there has to be someone out there...

Just saying...

Go Zags!!

Quote Originally Posted by SkipZag View Post
    I don’t have a problem with us and the dance... if we are good enough to make it, then let the games begin. My only problem is with the OOC schedule and some quality teams playing in the Kennel. Yes we get to see WSU and Stanford every other year... but what about one or two of the other 50 P-5s. I’m thinking there has to be someone out there...

Just saying...

Go Zags!!
    We are on the same page.

ZagDad

Don't know the economics, but since the Lady Zags draw in the top 15 in the country I would think they would be able to pay more than most to host potential opponents.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

it gets tricky with scheduling.....we pay the lower teams to come here so we can get exp and a win.....P5 teams do the same.......how much money would it take to attract a P5 team here and PAY them?.......its not going to happen....it would be nice if we could get home/home games on a regular basis but keep Stanford and WSU on board....maybe even someone like NC state or Syracuse or Florida state.....someone out of our conference, not Pac 12.....

if people believe having a tougher schedule will somehow help our rankings, well we're at 17 this year the way it is... and, ..we need a reasonable expectation that we can beat P5 teams before we go full tilt......

its a delicate balance.....

P5 teams play cupcakes for a reason......

Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post
    P5 teams play cupcakes for a reason......
    This may be true of some of the mid-pack or bottom feeders of the P5 conferences but before making this kind of statement You might want to go look at Stanford, Oregon, UConn, Mississippi State, South Carolina, Louisville, ND, etc., schedules.

Not only do these teams play in the strongest conferences in the nation, but they intentionally go out and schedule OOC games against each other to get better and to get a benchmark to see where they are at this point in the season.

ZagDad

Tough scheduling isn't about rankings, it's about seeding for the Tourney. Rankings have NOTHING to do w/ Tourney seeding. The two things are irrelevant to each other. Being ranked is nice, but it doesn't actually get you anything (other than your scores appearing on ESPN w/out having to go digging for scores for unranked teams).

The WCC collectively isn't doing as well this year as last year in OOC. There is a real shortage of quality wins so far. GU and Pacific look good. BYU, St. Mary's and LMU are struggling somewhat. Some of the other teams have decent W-L records, but those are propped up by beating weak opponents (too many of which aren't even D1). GU won't be able to help themselves much once conference play starts, so they have to make as much hay as they can in OOC. Maybe Purdue is a signature win, we'll have to wait a while to see how the rest of Purdue's season transpires.

Oh, and if GU wants to advance deep into the Tournament, doesn't it make sense to play as many of the types of teams as you'll be seeing after the first round of the Tourney as you can? Building up confidence beating terrible teams by 40 or 50 doesn't really prepare you for playing top level competition.

So...LMU lost to 3-6 CSU Northridge and USD got DESTROYED by 4-3 Idaho 65-32 today. At least USF beat CSU Fullerton. GU's RPI is gonna take a hit when they play many of their fellow WCC foes this season. Whatever strides the overall strength of the conference made last year has gone backwards. Except for the top few teams it's hard to distinguish from the Big Sky or Big West.