Thread: Excellent piece analyzing Friday’s Game.

Default Excellent piece analyzing Friday’s Game.

Film Study: What went wrong in Gonzaga’s loss to Michigan?

https://theathletic.com/1420403/2019...shared-article

Quote Originally Posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post
    Film Study: What went wrong in Gonzaga’s loss to Michigan?

https://theathletic.com/1420403/2019...shared-article
    Superb, clinical.

For those of us that don't subscribe to the Athletic it would be nice to summarize a few of the pertinent points. Not sure if that's really cool though, getting around a subscription

Quote Originally Posted by gon2mt View Post
    For those of us that don't subscribe to the Athletic it would be nice to summarize a few of the pertinent points. Not sure if that's really cool though, getting around a subscription
    Taste....

Few has said the coaching staff is confident in Watson as an outside shooter. That support almost assuredly extends to Petrusev and possibly even Timme (more plausibly from midrange). Friday’s game could ignite all three to shed their gun-shy tendencies (13 combined 3-point attempts this season) and improve the team’s floor spacing. Maybe Few watches Friday’s film and vocalizes an emphasis for guys to let it fly more often.

Undisciplined 3-point defense, Petrusev’s hellish afternoon and a poorly spaced floor are not the lone culprits. Gonzaga’s 6-of-13 showing at the charity stripe kept seven points off the board. Woolridge constantly wrestled with decision-making and logged more turnovers (four) than made shots (three). Much like Petrusev, Timme’s oft-reliable post scoring dried up against Teske, and he committed a few costly defensive lapses (nine points, 4-of-9 shooting, two giveaways). Gilder’s subdued output (five points, 1-of-6 shooting) didn’t help alleviate the burden induced by the aforementioned problems.

kispert isn't just streaky...he's also dependent on the offensive system to create shots for him. against really good defenses, he'll occupy significant attention and probably won't get many looks.

tillie is the only guy on this team where you can give him the ball and say go get a shot off...and even then, that's not his strength.

Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    kispert isn't just streaky...he's also dependent on the offensive system to create shots for him. against really good defenses, he'll occupy significant attention and probably won't get many looks.

tillie is the only guy on this team where you can give him the ball and say go get a shot off...and even then, that's not his strength.
    It’s tough to watch/rely on in a big game.

By the way, The Athletic is having a sale through the weekend (I think) for subscriptions... it's a good deal, especially if you follow more than one team or various sports, etc.
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Excellent synopsis of the breakdowns on defense and our inability to score efficiently in the paint.

When it comes to analyzing this team's warts, which they certainly have, I prefer articles like this as opposed to reading the raw emotion on our lovely message board.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Beat everyone, and enjoy drinking from a chalice filled with their salty tears.
    Surfmonkey89

Or the paens of the local press.

Quote Originally Posted by billyberu View Post
    Excellent synopsis of the breakdowns on defense and our inability to score efficiently in the paint.

When it comes to analyzing this team's warts, which they certainly have, I prefer articles like this as opposed to reading the raw emotion on our lovely message board.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post

I wonder what the plan of attack is on offense? If the paint is no longer a high % option due to opposition size or athleticism and your perimeter players don't create or can't create their shots off the bounce due to lack of ability or coaches won't let them?
    I guess its floor spacing and ball movement? That requires a lot of energy expelled, clearly to much for 3 games in 3 days.( I really miss that auto jumper that Rui had at the FT line)
    I just think it was the perfect storm that GU was up against vs Michigan.
    Fatigue took us out of that game because of the way our offense has to run to create for non creators especially if the paint is clogged up.
    Under normal circumstances where you have a min 1 day rest I think the offence will be fine.