Thread: Woolridge Drives

Default Woolridge Drives

It might be like taming a lion at this point, as Ryan is a Senior with a new program, but man.. I went back and rewatched the tournament and there were nearly 10 times where Ryan pushed the tempo super fast, got ahead of all the other players and either turned the ball over or missed a layup. These were all empty possessions. I am all for pushing the tempo, but you have to be under some type of control. So many times I cringe now when Ryan pushes the tempo and aimlessly has no idea what he is going to do. In addition, I think his 1 on 1 defense has been pretty spotty. For a guy that had the reputation of a great defender, time and time again during the tournament he was blown by which led to either an easy dump down to a big man or a kick out to an open 3.

Ryan has the speed and at times has seemed under control. IMO he needs to reign it in a bit though. Ayayi is more of a controlled tempo, which is why I think the new starting lineup should be Gilder, Ayayi, Kispert (or watson), tillle, pet.

I think everyone knows how I feel about this OP. However, it's nice to see someone else saying the same things that I do.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

I think if he was able to finish more often his super up tempo style would be more popular. It's a tough call because that is what he does so well, I think his brain sees what he wants to do but at the moment his body won't allow him to do it.
    The coaching staff will make the right decisions.

Hate to say it, but similar to Meech. Needs to slow it down. He’s a good player but sometimes seems to force it too much.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaZagFan View Post
    I think if he was able to finish more often his super up tempo style would be more popular. It's a tough call because that is what he does so well, I think his brain sees what he wants to do but at the moment his body won't allow him to do it.
    The coaching staff will make the right decisions.
    I am thinking that he needs to get used to the level of play that Gonzaga plays in their OOC games. I mean, he might look good against some of the teams we've played, but when trying some of those things against, Oregon or Michigan, Or UNC, Or UW, Or Arizona just will not work. He needs to adjust his game...a lot, imo. I think what hurts him the most is that he is such a poor shooter. Everyone knows he can't shoot, and will encourage him to drive into where all of the big defenders are there to make it very difficult to score on the inside. That was the only thing that hurt Meech as well. He just couldn't shoot from the outside.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Someone somewhere mentioned that Ryan’s knee injury doesn’t allow him to plant and change direction very well. That could account both for why he seems to have such great downhill speed, but can’t finish at the rim (too predictable), and why he has trouble staying in front of his man.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It amazes me how people turn on a player who is hurt or after a loss

Without the grad transfers we would be 5-4 and going no where.....every single one of them over the years have been terrific...imho of course....
    Last edited by bartruff1; 11-30-2019 at 03:34 PM.

Woolridge was 4-19 FG in Bahamas.

Not nearly efficient enough, yet hes our best ballhander by a mile.

Several of his TO's, miscues, & missed shots were due to his injured leg, yet no excuse running ahead of the offense too often.

I think it is had to make any conclusions coming out of the Bahamas considering how hurt we were and the fact that two of our opponents are top 10 defensive teams. I have been impressed by Woolridge in previous games and he clearly was hobbled during the tournament. He also completely shut down Pritchard and is a plus rebounder and steal artist.