• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GonzagasaurusFlex
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Free Ayayi

I believe the ceiling for 2019-20 Zags comes w Ayayi as starting PG. Either Gilder or Woolridge needs to come off the bench, probably Gilder because although he and Woolridge are both shooting absolutely atrociously, Woolridge is impacting the game. Gilder disappears.

Free Ayayi

I believe Joel can shine even more brightly for his squad if given the opportunity.

Free Ayayi
    Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags
  • CB4
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2009

I think he's well on his way to getting his minutes. I'd expect that he'll get a lot of minutes against TX Southern to give our other guys some extra recovery time. Let's see what he can do!

Comment

• White lightning
      Zag for Life
      • Dec 2017

Ayayi played 29 minutes wooldridge 32 and Gilder 19. Ayayi just wasn't effective most of the game as with the other guards.

In the last 4 games he averaged over 30 minutes. How many more do you think he needs a game?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

• Mantua
        Zag for Life
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by White lightning View Post
        Ayayi played 29 minutes wooldridge 32 and Gilder 19. Ayayi just wasn't effective most of the game as with the other guards.

In the last 4 games he averaged over 30 minutes. How many more do you think he needs a game?

Save Tillie, no one was effective but Joel wasn’t close to the basement of this lot. I’m concerned about Woolridge’s knee.

Michigan is a good team. They have height, athleticism and seasoned leadership. Howard inherited a good team and seems intent on not disappointing. Michigan looks like a Final Four team.
        Bonjour tristesse.

Comment

• GonzagasaurusFlex
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by White lightning View Post

I’m not concerned about Ayayi's mpg. I’m saying by starting him coaches give him a huge vote of confidence which I think will free him up to do even more for this team.
          Last edited by GonzagasaurusFlex; 11-29-2019, 05:09 PM.
          Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Comment

• FuManShoes
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
            I believe the ceiling for 2019-20 Zags comes w Ayayi as starting PG. Either Gilder or Woolridge needs to come off the bench, probably Gilder because although he and Woolridge are both shooting absolutely atrociously, Woolridge is impacting the game. Gilder disappears.

Free Ayayi

I believe Joel can shine even more brightly for his squad if given the opportunity.

Free Ayayi
            With such a thin bench the Zags are probably better off with Ayayi coming in as a change of pace microwave. Otherwise you’d have Gilder coming in and bringing little. His (hopefully temporary) offensive weakness isn’t such an issue at the start of games because everyone else can score. And the Zags raced out to leads in all these games. The most important thing is that Ayayi comes in and keeps things rolling. He doesn’t seem to lack for confidence even coming off the bench.
            “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

Comment

• GonzagasaurusFlex
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by FuManShoes View Post
              With such a thin bench the Zags are probably better off with Ayayi coming in as a change of pace microwave. Otherwise you’d have Gilder coming in and bringing little. His (hopefully temporary) offensive weakness isn’t such an issue at the start of games because everyone else can score. And the Zags raced out to leads in all these games. The most important thing is that Ayayi comes in and keeps things rolling. He doesn’t seem to lack for confidence even coming off the bench.
              Your logic is irrefutable; nonetheless, I believe that if Few were to hand the proverbial keys to Ayayi and trust him to drive the car from opening tip he would spark the Zags and elevate the entire team with his play.

Comment

• Alum08
                Professional Zag Fan
                • Feb 2014

I much prefer Ayayi as a top-tier sixth man.

Comment

• Hoopaholic
                  • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Alum08 View Post
                  I much prefer Ayayi as a top-tier sixth man.
                  Yep instant energy change of pace good offensive options and strong defense with exceptional rebounding creates a unique 6 man
                  The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• ZagsGoZags
                    Zag for Life
                    • Nov 2007

I like Ayayi coming in as 6th man, 3rd guard. I suspect Few has had to work extra with keeping Ayayi in the zag mold, like he did with Zach Norvell. Both guards love to dribble around looking for their chance to shine, to get their shot, and tempted to shoot right away while team is setting up. Both have been stallions who needed training to get them to pass a lot and become a zag guard. The good thing is both of them exhibit, exhibited, respectable assist stats.

Comment

• GonzagasaurusFlex
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

I definitely see and appreciate Ayayi’s value as 6th man getting starters minutes. My gut intuition tells me Zags jumping out of the gate w Ayayi starting in the backcourt will help this team find their next gear. Zags need as dynamic a scoring backcourt as possible vs teams that can shut down their low post centric offense. There are more big bigs coming for Petrusev et al, more L’s too if Zags’ backcourt doesn’t score more.

Comment

• Alum08
                        Professional Zag Fan
                        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
                        I definitely see and appreciate Ayayi’s value as 6th man getting starters minutes. My gut intuition tells me Zags jumping out of the gate w Ayayi starting in the backcourt will help this team find their next gear. Zags need as dynamic a scoring backcourt as possible vs teams that can shut down their low post centric offense. There are more big bigs coming for Petrusev et al, more L’s too if Zags’ backcourt doesn’t score more.
                        I think playing Joel alongside the other scorers actually limits his potential (as opposed to 'freeing' him). I like his creativity and fluidity and would rather see him as a focus point of the offense with the second unit than as a third or fourth option with the starters. Additionally, every shot that Joel takes is one less for Filip, CK, et al., and those guys need to get going too (as we've seen with CK, specifically).

Comment

• cjm720
                          Zag for Life
                          • Nov 2007

I’d rather see Joel start over Gilder at this point. Joel is a stat stuffer and I have a suspicion he’s just warming up! Gilder needs to heal up...and hopefully he could be a nice scoring and defensive spark off the bench.
                          Go Zags!!!

Comment

• Shooter
                            Bulldog Fan
                            • Jan 2019

Watching Ayayi play in the FIBA games this summer I thought he would be a starter for sure. After 8 or 9 games there is no doubt he should be starting. He is the best guard on the team.

Comment

• bartruff1
                              Zag for Life
                              • Jan 2010

I expect he experienced grad transfers will start....Ayayi is a very good 6th man who plays big minutes and brings energy and a change of pace....unless there is a injury ….. Few knows what he is doing....Ya think ?

Comment

Working...
                              X