Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Zags vs Michigan Post game thoughts

•Bigs are soft and can’t handle contact (except Tillie)
    •Gilder doesn’t provide much at the offensive end.
    •Woolridge plays out of control
    •Kispert needs to hunt shots if can’t get open from the 3-point.
    •Ayayi is clearly the best guard on the roster, but seems to struggle with decision making from time to time.

Michigan had a great game plan. Forcing GU to try and work inside by taking away the 3 pt line. That exposed GUs soft bigs. That game against Washington is going to be tough with the Huskies length in their zone.

My two bits: our bigs did not play well enough against Teske. We will learn from it. And grow, as we always knew we would need to do this season. BTW, I suspect a similar player to Teske next year will have a harder time against Ballo! Also, I disagree with all the hating on Woolridge. He is so fast and handles the ball fine. There has been no pressure put on him this season that has succeeded. None. 8 and 1. As Coach says: be patient with this team.

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    I'll take 2 and 1 in tournament. This game was embarrassing and im going to say what i think it was. No 3 point defense. Your star guard attempting 3 shots when mattered. Post players afraid of contact. It is a learning experience but can still be embarrassing loss.

Few called this team soft and lack of any toughness. So he said what he thought too.
    Coach needs to bring you to practice so maybe the players can absorb some of your keyboard courage. If they can play half as hard as you post on the internet GU will never lose.

Let's also tip our cap to Teske. The guy is a 7'1, 265 lbs. senior. To get bodied up by him doesn't mean our guys are weak. Karno made a lot of really good, more athletic, higher profile bigs look bad in a lot of games. Experience, size, and confidence. Plus four years of college basketball development and maturity will do that.

The Wolverines were better at nearly every position. Tillie and Ayayi were the only Zags playing at their level. Petrosev must have been gassed to regress so much from one game to the next, but he was also overmatched by Teske’s length and physicality. We need to accept that our backcourt is thin and not all that skilled apart from Ayayi. I’m not down on the guards - they can be solid contributors- but the issues we knew were there all got exposed today and the defensive lapses made it all the worse.
    “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by vandalzag View Post
    Coach needs to bring you to practice so maybe the players can absorb some of your keyboard courage. If they can play half as hard as you post on the internet GU will never lose.
    Clearly Zags11 post-game thoughts don’t fit a certain narrative. Maybe the thread title should be modified to Zags vs Michigan post game thoughts with Rainbows and Unicorns.

Quote Originally Posted by pcm541 View Post
    This team is poorly constructed.

Poor guard play + finesse bigs is not a good combo.
    The same poorly constructed team that beat a top 15 Oregon the night before?

Bad nights (or days) happen to teams. I expected that it was going to be a tough tourney period... coming away 2-1 to me is a blessing. This team is still finding it's identity. How about we revisit this post in March.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by thickman1 View Post
    Clearly Zags11 post-game thoughts don’t fit a certain narrative. Maybe the thread title should be modified to Zags vs Michigan post game thoughts with Rainbows and Unicorns.
    No rainbows and unicorns here... but in the end it was one game. No sense giving up on a team after a loss. Was it ugly... yes. Zags were missing shots from 2 feet... they were collectively off, looked tired on defense, lacked hustle to the ball. All the things the DID against Oregon.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    Let's also tip our cap to Teske. The guy is a 7'1, 265 lbs. senior. To get bodied up by him doesn't mean our guys are weak. Karno made a lot of really good, more athletic, higher profile bigs look bad in a lot of games. Experience, size, and confidence. Plus four years of college basketball development and maturity will do that.
    This. Teske was a man amongst boys in the paint. Outside the obvious size, he showed nice touch on the jumper and moved really well on ball screens/rollst

Gonzaga had one player in double figures. I don't think that has ever happened at Gonzaga, and that kind of sums it all up. The Zags looked like a JV team playing against a varsity. Sometimes losing a game is good for a team. Hopefully, this loss will help the Zags learn. I like pcm's blog. He stated, "This team is poorly constructed." That is exactly what I think, and let's face it, it does begin with the point guard, and we have one of the worse point-guards we've ever had. PERIOD. I am sooooo tired of watching how he plays. I know some of you like him, and that's okay because we're a free society here, but if you call that running an offense then you don't know anything about basketball imo. AND he can't shoot. We saw what a good point-guard looks like and plays like tonight.

Then let's go to our "scoring guard." Gilder is the second worse player on this team. I'm tired of watching him play. Dribble to the middle of the key and shoot a 5-6 footer and leave it short every time. He was 1-6 tonight, hitting a 3 (pure luck). You have a point guard and a 2 guard who love to drive inside and STOP....which is the worst move a guard can make. Again we saw what a good 2 guard looks like today. They can score, and shoot from the outside. Like Norvell. Gilder isn't even close to resembling Norvell.

Speaking of these two guards. I heard that they could play defense. Defense? Michigan ripped these two guards to shreds. Woodridge was never able to keep Michigan's pg in front of him. He kept penetrating at will, and either scored or made an assist inside.

Now let's look at Petrusev. We saw what he looks like against a big, elite center. As Dick Vitale said, it was a man vs the boys. Teske killed us in every way. He totally dominated our bigs both offensively and defensively. He scored 19 points on 9-15 shooting and 15 rebounds. Petrusev was 4-16 today and looked totally intimated. I was so glad when Few finally took him out of the game and played Timme most of the 2nd half.

Where was Kispert today? Four shots? 6 points? Three of those points from the foul line very early in the game. 1-3 from beyond the arc. No 2 point baskets at all. And like I said 4 shots. What kind of an offense was GU running tonight? But of course you really can't run a pick and roll offense when your guards can't score. And if the last couple of years that's been Gonzaga's main offense.

There was one bright spot, and that was Killian Tillie. 20 points. 9-14 shooting, 2-4 from the 3 point line.

I need to mention one other point. AND THAT IS FOUL SHOOTING. We shot 40% today as a team. Now that is embarrassing. I'm so tired of watching our guards miss foul shots. At one point Gonzaga missed 4 straight foul shots (both were two shot fould). At that point I knew that this Gonzaga team was NOT even in this game at all. For whatever reason it was.

What's going to happen from here? I think we're kind of stuck with Woolridge and Gilder. And he seems intent on starting them and letting Ayayi come in off the bench. One thing about Mark Few is that he doesn't usually make any changes. So my hope is that these two guards can learn to play the game the Zags way.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Not embarrassed....Michigan played a very good game...…..Gonzaga didn't quit and had a good tourney ….. beating Oregon was worth the trip...
    I mean heck... they were throwing up circus shots and getting the bounce... Zags rolled about 2 dozen shots off the rim.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    No rainbows and unicorns here... but in the end it was one game. No sense giving up on a team after a loss. Was it ugly... yes. Zags were missing shots from 2 feet... they were collectively off, looked tired on defense, lacked hustle to the ball. All the things the DID against Oregon.
    I don’t think anyone is giving up. There will be ups and downs, but to say the bigs didn’t play soft isn’t accurate. The were pushed around a bit yesterday against Oregon too. If not for the hot 3-pt shooting to start the UO game, they lose to the Ducks too. Coach Few is in a tough spot. He needs either guards are bigs to help open up options for the guards or bigs.

Michigan figures the safer bet was making GU play from the inside out. It was the right call as Teske just dominated today

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    Agreed.

This team is tired and hurt. They just didn’t have enough left to compete against Michigan. They need a week to recuperate before they face another quality opponent. Fortunately, they have a few days off followed by a home game against a bad North Texas team.
    Exactly. Thank you.

I’m letting go of this game pretty easily given how depleted Zags were and how tired they looked. A lot of those missed bunnies and turnovers were fatigue induced imo. Kispert taking only 4 shots is a head scratcher though...or just great Michigan D?
    Tillie is a gamer. Woolridge and Gilder were awful...or just bothered by injuries. Ayayi needs to start.

Free Ayayi
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    After what UM did to UNC, I have a hard time seeing this as being embarrassed. They are a top 10 team, we had an OT late game and got hit with the injury bug.

We have a ton of room room for improvement, especially by our young bigs. But I don't see this as an embarrassment.

I think we beat UNC and I didn't have that confidence going into this tournament.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    +1

- better team won
    - better point guard, better center.
    - better by a long ways.

- agree with others, other than Tillie, out bigs are soft and slow.
    - and can only hope that gilder has had his two game funk ala kispert............but I worry maybe not. he will play better, but so far he has been the biggest disappointment of this season.

- ordinarily zags shoot 60% or better from the paint, and hold opponents to under 40% in the paint. the number were flip flopped in this game. that is literally a 30+ point swing in the score.

- good news is the team will learn and get better.

Ayayi played 29 minutes wooldridge 32 and Gilder 19. Ayayi just wasn't effective most of the game as with the other guards.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Worst beating they have taken since losing 84-61 to Arizona in 2014 dance.

So many missed layups. Bigs need to finish through contact. I can think of only 1 dunk in the 3 games in B4A.

ZZ

Timmie reminds me of second year Olynyk. He has an unorthodox style but some surefire ways of getting buckets. He also falls and flops around a lot and would benefit from an extra 15 pounds. Watching his high school videos he was a player who truly took charge, seemed to have a mean streak to him, and loved to take the ball to the basket. As he grows and gains confidence I think these traits will transfer over to his college game.

This is fine but then we all need to realize he isnt a star like some want him to be.
    Unnecessary to say, in my opinion. We've heard this enough from enough people. There isn't really a narrative to correct, because the loudest voices are of those who want to trash on him. Can't we just be happy with whatever he brings to the table? He wasn't the reason for this loss.

Quote Originally Posted by zagzilla View Post
    Worst beating they have taken since losing 84-61 to Arizona in 2014 dance.

So many missed layups. Bigs need to finish through contact. I can think of only 1 dunk in the 3 games in B4A.

ZZ
    Lol yes where are the dunks? I guess we were spoiled last year with Norvell, Hachi and Clarke always trying to throw it down.

you know, it the team had to loose this was the game to do it.....early in the season.......I'm not discouraged.....

but I don't think we should play in the Battle for Atlantis again anytime soon.....maybe not ever until the facilities are cleaned up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by vandalzag View Post
    Few called them soft. Lol. Go cry elsewhere vandal. If Few was only half as tough as he sounded zaga would never lose. Lmaoooo.

Few said they were soft and lacked toughness. Plus im sure im tougher then 5'6 Few since you brought me into it.
    Love the zags for life

michigan did to the zags what the zags do to a lot of other teams...it was pretty impressive.

zags aren't going to win many games when petrusev gets outplayed like that...the guards just aren't good enough. he needs to get tougher and finish stronger, but he also had several shots just rim out and not fall today.

admon gilder was a no show this tournament and really hasn't played well yet, but i'm still holding out hope because he's been a really good player in the past...zags need him to play like when he was still an aggie.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    Unnecessary to say, in my opinion. We've heard this enough from enough people. There isn't really a narrative to correct, because the loudest voices are of those who want to trash on him. Can't we just be happy with whatever he brings to the table? He wasn't the reason for this loss.
    Again its who people like. I had to hear at nasuesm about meech. Some of the same people who wanted meech to do something on offense as it was "4 on 5". Is kispert better on offense then meech? 100%. But today kispert had 3 shots all game so the game was like 4 on 5. Id rather kispert go 2 for 13 when it mattered then not shoot when you can shoot. Any player for that matter.

So to me it perfectly fair.
    Love the zags for life

Few called them soft. Lol. Go cry elsewhere vandal. All you do.
    Not crying at all tough guy. I am serious you need to take your bad a$% to practice and show them how it is done.