Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Zags vs Michigan Post game thoughts

Another observation from this game. Michigan played tight at the 3 point line and stationed Teske under the basket to prevent player drives....Petrusev was open at top all game long but refused to shoot..I think he shot twice making both including 1 for a three...that was early but he shot no more from there...not sure if this was by coach orders or his reluctance...but he HAS to shoot enough out there to bring out the big which would open up the lanes...and he's got such a good outside shot!
    It's What You learn AFTER You Know It All That Counts

My main takeaway is that Michigan is REALLY good. No shame losing to a team like that, especially considering how banged up the team is. Having said that, here are my other observations:

- Kispert is not a natural primary offensive weapon. He operates so much better as an off the ball player and spot up shooter. Woolridge and Gilder's lack of shooting from the perimeter really hurt his ability to get clean looks today.
    - Petrusev needs a few more tricks in his bag. The mid range jumper was sweet to start the game. Trying to go over top of the mountainous Teske was a foolhardy strategy.
    - Timmie needs a midrange shot or floater. They left him wide open around the foul line numerous times and instead of shooting an uncontested 8 foot floater, he repeatedly went straight at Teske, most often with poor results. He's got the skill and the touch to easily add this to his game.
    - Gilder must be nursing some kind of injury because he was a non factor all tournament. The success of the season really depends on getting something out of him. On paper, he should have been able to more than hold his own against Michigan's guards.

Quote Originally Posted by Worthington View Post
    My main takeaway is that Michigan is REALLY good. No shame losing to a team like that, especially considering how banged up the team is. Having said that, here are my other observations:

- Kispert is not a natural primary offensive weapon. He operates so much better as an off the ball player and spot up shooter. Woolridge and Gilder's lack of shooting from the perimeter really hurt his ability to get clean looks today.
    - Petrusev needs a few more tricks in his bag. The mid range jumper was sweet to start the game. Trying to go over top of the mountainous Teske was a foolhardy strategy.
    - Timmie needs a midrange shot or floater. They left him wide open around the foul line numerous times and instead of shooting an uncontested 8 foot floater, he repeatedly went straight at Teske, most often with poor results. He's got the skill and the touch to easily add this to his game.
    - Gilder must be nursing some kind of injury because he was a non factor all tournament. The success of the season really depends on getting something out of him. On paper, he should have been able to more than hold his own against Michigan's guards.
    Well said. Thank you
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

What we learned from the trip to the Bahamas:

1) Michigan is really good. They got size that can defend, rebound, dunk, & Teske can shoot jumpers. They got great guard play, excellent 3 point shooters, and a legit point guard play maker in Simpson. I believe if healthy they are a final 4 team.

2) For us. We are nowhere near as good as we are ranked. This team is considerably worst than our recent past teams. We escape Oregon, who is also not as good as advertised, and we got blown out by Michigan.

analysis: Guard play. The two grad transfers, Gilder & Woolridge are out of water against major competition. They avg 5ppg & 4ppg respectively in this tournament. Maybe Gilder's injury accounts for his performance. I hope so. Woolridge is very quick, great dribbler, gets out of control at times, & can not shoot a jumper or free throws. Ayayi was a big surprise. He can shoot 3's, guard, & rebound. I was impressed with him. If the trend continues, he needs to start & play more minutes.

Our big men: Tille is progressing well. Shot is coming around, but you can tell he has no power w/ that knee and has a hard time defending the rim and rebounding. I hope he physically recovers to be a NBA caliber player again.
    Petrusev is a scorer & his jump shot is improving. However, he played soft against tough competition and need to defend & rebound better against good big men.
    Timme is not what I imagine from a 5 star recruit. Yes he's tall & mobile, but he can't jump, need to bulk up (need reshirt year like Olynyk), & I'm surprised that he doesn't have a jump shot. Not much athleticism here.

Kispert is a great spot up shooter, but can not make plays on his own, and he misses almost every time he drives to the basket. He needs someone to find him open.
    Watson is the wild card. He is very athletic & can shoot. If he continues to develop, he can become one of our major contributors.

Bottom line. We are good enough to dominate the WCC, which has no other great team, but we will have a hard time against major competition. Our bigs are not athletic or strong enough at this time & need to improve their midrange game (except for Tille). In my view, our guard play is our big problem. We can't expect to win consistently when our starting guards are averaging 5 ppg or less and can't shoot jumpers or free throws. Teams will learn to sag off of them, bottle up Kispert, and double team our big men, just as what Michigan did. We really don't have a good solution. Ayayi needs to play more, but he is really not a true point guard.

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    Or i could meet up with u and we can talk.
    Completely out of line. Grow up and stop this garbage. I understand you’re irritated about the game but personal attacks are not appropriate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    Completely out of line. Grow up and stop this garbage. I understand you’re irritated about the game but personal attacks are not appropriate.

Again read what he wrote me. I wasn't the starter of personal attacks.
    Love the zags for life

Pretty simple if you ask me. We have no guard depth, and two of them are clearly playing hurt. Whatever is up with Gilder is affecting his shot and his lift, making him a non factor offensively. Woolridge is a warrior, but can’t shoot. He is who he is and if we can’t take advantage of his speed by making it a full court game, his lack of shooting is notable. In an up and down game it is hidden. Ayayi is clearly our best guard option, which has been reflected in the minutes. Missing Anton is massive. The kid can play 3 positions (Depending on what the other team does he can bang with some 5s) and is desperately needed to give us some line up options and extra athleticism. We are thin, thin, thin and guys that are playing are playing hurt.

So zero surprise we got waxed by a very good Michigan team. Honestly, I am shocked we beat OR given our depth and health. We were obviously gassed down the stretch in that one. Early against the ducks did you see any offensive rebounds? Nope. Late...they destroyed us on the boards as our legs were shot.

My only worry is Few has very little in the way of options here. Arlauskus isn’t the answer, and no one else on that bench is even close to being ready to play in a game like today. When healthy we have a very good 8 man rotation. One out completely for two games (Our jack of all trades guy no less) and 3 playing hobbled; we need to heal up in a hurry.

And again u got personal sir.
    Love the zags for life

A fair assessment from "The Slipper Still Fits": Gonzaga had absolutely no answer for Michigan at any point in the game. Isaiah Livers was devastating from long range, finishing with 21 points and hitting 5-of-8 from long range. Lumbering giant Jon Teske taught Drew Timme and Filip Petrusev a thing or two about how to be a big man down low, finishing with 19 points, 15 rebounds, four blocks, and approximately 800 altered shots. Neither Timme or Petrusev quite figured out how to get anything going down low.

Considering what the Bulldogs went through this tournament, it was always a question of when the wheels would fall off, not if. Coming into Wednesday’s contest, Killian Tillie’s knee forced him to sit, and in the next 24 hours, Anton Watson would sprain his ankle, Admon Gilder would tweak his knee, and Ryan Woolridge’s knee would flare up as well. The eight-man rotation became a seven-man rotation, and with the minutes and miles accumulated after the overtime win against Oregon yesterday, it wasn’t much of a surprise to see the Zags look gassed today. Two consecutive turnarounds of less than 24 hours will do that to a team.

Link: https://www.slipperstillfits.com/201...eNaCqnkVW6l8MQ

And again u got personal sir.
    I got personal with you? I’m asking you to stop personally attacking posters. Sorry if you take that personally.

I got personal with you? I’m asking you to stop personally attacking posters. Sorry if you take that personally.

Why dont u talk to vandal or ask LIZF who started the personal attacks.
    Love the zags for life

Injuries and inexperience.

Duh

Juwan Howard inherited a seasoned team. Their 3 seniors are big strong and smart.

Props to Howard yet still Beilein's guys, who still play tough hard nosed & disciplined.

Michigan went to 2 Natl Championship games under him, same guys and Howard has capitalized with a full cupboard.

They have 6 guards, we have 2.5.

38-36 16 minutes to go in game

They hit shots and we did not
    They got second and third shots. We did not

Squeaked by a good Oregon team yesterday with very beat up players. Today there wasn't much margin for error. If you play a good team that plays well and you have 4 main rotation players banged up or on the bench with a boot on good luck!
    1 for 2 in that situation isn't bad. The biggest challenge not being at full strength or even close was the three games in a row. One more day of rest would have made a difference.
    These tournaments with 3 games in a row are not the norm, even in the NCAA tourament you get min 1 day of rest.

No embarrassment in the loss, Michigan will be top 10 all year.

I just wish it were a "better loss" - not much "good loss" in a 20 point blowout.

However, we will be able to point to being very shorthanded if we're going to turn things around.

The Oregon win is now just massively huge. It gives these guys a positive to takeaway. Good thing, bc I don't think this team would've beaten UNC as shorthanded as it was today. So, a 2-1 tournament, losing to what I see as a top 10 7-0 team, that's good stuff.

But, we HAVE to get healthy or we're in real real trouble. Our bigs are not as physical as in years past, and not as athletic. So we need the surplus. Our backcourt is shorthanded, hurt and a work in progress. Real concern.

Somehow this team needs to put a couple wins together out of UW, Arizona and UNC. Do that and we can still get a protected seed. Without two wins in those 3, things are going to be an issue. Can't do it without being healthy.

Got a good win over Oregon, which is going to climb through the year, I suspect.

A lot of work to do. Bad day.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by Section 116 View Post
    A fair assessment from "The Slipper Still Fits": Gonzaga had absolutely no answer for Michigan at any point in the game. Isaiah Livers was devastating from long range, finishing with 21 points and hitting 5-of-8 from long range. Lumbering giant Jon Teske taught Drew Timme and Filip Petrusev a thing or two about how to be a big man down low, finishing with 19 points, 15 rebounds, four blocks, and approximately 800 altered shots. Neither Timme or Petrusev quite figured out how to get anything going down low.

Considering what the Bulldogs went through this tournament, it was always a question of when the wheels would fall off, not if. Coming into Wednesday’s contest, Killian Tillie’s knee forced him to sit, and in the next 24 hours, Anton Watson would sprain his ankle, Admon Gilder would tweak his knee, and Ryan Woolridge’s knee would flare up as well. The eight-man rotation became a seven-man rotation, and with the minutes and miles accumulated after the overtime win against Oregon yesterday, it wasn’t much of a surprise to see the Zags look gassed today. Two consecutive turnarounds of less than 24 hours will do that to a team.

Link: https://www.slipperstillfits.com/201...eNaCqnkVW6l8MQ
    I would say that "The Slipper" pretty much nailed it. Michigan, following solid neutral-court wins over Iowa State, North Carolina, and Gonzaga just in the past 72 hours, will likely jump from "Unranked" to inside the Top 10 in Monday's AP Poll. Michigan's 4 wins prior to the "Battle for Atlantis" included opposition the likes of Elon, Appalachian State and Houston Baptist, in addition to an unimpressive 10-point win in Ann Arbor versus Creighton. We will learn just how good Michigan is over the next 2 weeks as they visit Louisville and host Iowa and Oregon. My guess is they win at least 2 of those 3 ballgames and remain in Top 10. Very solid ballclub, although the Zags were well-below full strength in today's matchup.
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    38-36 16 minutes to go in game

They hit shots and we did not
    They got second and third shots. We did not
    And 59-40 less than five minutes later. Life comes at you fast.
    Agent provocateur

Quote Originally Posted by sonuvazag View Post
    And 59-40 less than five minutes later. Life comes at you fast.
    4:15 second stretch killed us

2-8 with 3 missed bunnies and 1 turnover

While
    Michigan goes 7-8 with one offensive rebound for made bucket

And suddenly we are down 57-40

Why dont u talk to vandal or ask LIZF who started the personal attacks.
    I responded to one post on this as there was only one post inferring the desire to meet in person to go to blows.

I’m moving on, I understand your frustration and hope everyone can be less personal.

Quote Originally Posted by zagzilla View Post
    Worst beating they have taken since losing 84-61 to Arizona in 2014 dance.

So many missed layups. Bigs need to finish through contact. I can think of only 1 dunk in the 3 games in B4A.

ZZ
    Didn’t Villanova tear our butt up within the last two tears? We went on to reach the S16 but lost to FSU when Tillie got hurt...

IMO UM would have beaten any D1 team today...lots to learn from this game...we’re young and such a finesse team...last night and tonight we just gave up to many rebounds...we need to learn to block out better...

I do like our chances against UNC...UA is really going to be tough as they rebound and shoot 3’s really well...

For those of you questioning the number of Kisperts shots taken, I ask, when was he open? He was guarded like a shadow all night. BTW, LIZF asked, I believe he logged 42 mins vs Oregon, he might have been a little worn down/ To describe Teske as lumbering is not accurate IMO. He was very agile for a guy his size and deadly accurate too. IIRC, he averages 5 blocks a game. Zags were beaten by a better, less weary, more healthy team.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

When the other team shoots a higher percentage from three than you do from the FT line..you will probably lose like the Zags did today!
    It's What You learn AFTER You Know It All That Counts

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaZagFan View Post
    When the other team shoots a higher percentage from three than you do from the FT line..you will probably lose like the Zags did today!
    Michigan made 6 more threes....= difference

12th to 15th is where they should sit.

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    After what UM did to UNC, I have a hard time seeing this as being embarrassed. They are a top 10 team, we had an OT late game and got hit with the injury bug.

We have a ton of room room for improvement, especially by our young bigs. But I don't see this as an embarrassment.

I think we beat UNC and I didn't have that confidence going into this tournament.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    Plus 1. It’s early and we were without Watson, and Michigan is very good. Nice tourney overall IMO.
    Go Zags!!!