Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Zags vs Michigan Post game thoughts

Default Zags vs Michigan Post game thoughts

Zags gets embarrassed 82 to 64.

We got our butt whooped in every facet of the game. The post players better learn to play through physical play. They could not score vs contact. Kispert was non existent and i heard excuse of being face guarded. This is fine but then we all need to realize he isnt a star like some want him to be.

Our 3 point defense was butt. Again. Gross.
    Love the zags for life

This team is poorly constructed.

Poor guard play + finesse bigs is not a good combo.

I really like that Michigan team. I wish we played better but don't feel too bad about this loss. Hope our guys can get healthy and learn from this one going forward.

We got our butt whooped but tbh we are not far off from being really good

We missed a TON of easy easy lay ups and floaters.. plus Michigan couldn’t miss from 3 until the last 3 minutes of the game

Our bigs have to get stronger and finish down low but we also didn’t get any calls... we will be fine

Team lacks a couple things. Biggest takeaway from this is that the bigs are just soft, soft, soft - sans Tillie. Tillie has his game.

Obviously some injuries, guys looked tired and lethargic.

Check the stats, if the big boys were able to actually go at the rim and hit shots and draw some fouls it might be a different game.

We lack a go to (other than Tillie) scorer. Someone will have to step up.

This loss lines up with my feelings about this team. We don't have the Alpha we so desperately need. Need a healthy aggressive Watson.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagricultural View Post
    This loss lines up with my feelings about this team. We don't have the Alpha we so desperately need. Need a healthy aggressive Watson.
    No offense but Watson is not the answer .. yet.

Our defensive rotations were brutal. I cannot believe the open looks teams get against us from 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    Also since game thread was closed. Liz you said classy cuz i said "kispert 3 shots lol". Kispert had 3 shots when it mattered until two shots late. You need more from him.

I dont get why it was ok to say this bout meech but not kispert.
    Kispert Play reminds me of a young Kyle korver. He is a weapon and pulls the defense his way. This should open up play for everyone else....but...Woolridge offers nothing to stretch the defense. Gilder has been significantly below average thus far, and post seemed to just choke under the pressure. There are unfortunately just some holes on the team this year. I still think kispert is a great player in his niche; if other players made defense pay...kispert would be better. He needs a little space to get his shot off clearly.

After what UM did to UNC, I have a hard time seeing this as being embarrassed. They are a top 10 team, we had an OT late game and got hit with the injury bug.

We have a ton of room room for improvement, especially by our young bigs. But I don't see this as an embarrassment.

I think we beat UNC and I didn't have that confidence going into this tournament.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Proud of the Zags; they gave all they had left. Props to Juwan Howard; great person, great player who will be a great coach.

Heal up and learn from experience. Three important games coming up.

Go Zags!

Goes without saying the play and the result were disappointing. Spinning positive...will be fun to see how a young Zag team grows from this. Play Michigan any other time of year and they would be calling this a possible Final Four matchup. When healthy, both of these teams trajectories feel very high. Happy for Juwan Howard, and the culture he appears to be creating in coming back to Michigan. His players are truly all in. Lots of good tape from this for Few to use in March.

One game .....some bunnies didn’t drop...free throw shooting sucked....defense soft

Michigan played great

get out football pads and bang bigs in practice

I don't think the team is poorly constructed, I think three games in a row when not healthy is difficult. Kispert is a catch and shoot guy not a creator of his own offense, if he cant get open through screens and ball movement then hes not going to shoot much. 3 games in a row is not an excuse but it is what it is, when your not healthy its tough! Wooly,Gilder, Tillie & Watson that's around 50% of your team that needs time to recover.
    Last year in Maui Tillie was out but everyone else was ok.

Not embarrassed....Michigan played a very good game...…..Gonzaga didn't quit and had a good tourney ….. beating Oregon was worth the trip...

Quote Originally Posted by zags422 View Post
    Kispert Play reminds me of a young Kyle korver. He is a weapon and pulls the defense his way. This should open up play for everyone else....but...Woolridge offers nothing to stretch the defense. Gilder has been significantly below average thus far, and post seemed to just choke under the pressure. There are unfortunately just some holes on the team this year. I still think kispert is a great player in his niche; if other players made defense pay...kispert would be better. He needs a little space to get his shot off clearly.
    Kispert just needs to go to the hole more. Relying too much on the 3. He’s too big and strong of a kid to not take it hard into the lane and to the hoop. It will open up everything else for him. He’s been in this system long enough to figure things out. He should get to the line 8-10 times a game.

Kudos to playing through injury, especially Gilder and Woolridge.

Guard weakness is going to be an issue this year, though that clearly wasn’t the only issue in this game.

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    After what UM did to UNC, I have a hard time seeing this as being embarrassed. They are a top 10 team, we had an OT late game and got hit with the injury bug.

We have a ton of room room for improvement, especially by our young bigs. But I don't see this as an embarrassment.

I think we beat UNC and I didn't have that confidence going into this tournament.

Agreed.

This team is tired and hurt. They just didn’t have enough left to compete against Michigan. They need a week to recuperate before they face another quality opponent. Fortunately, they have a few days off followed by a home game against a bad North Texas team.

Learning experience for Zags in the early season loss.
    I do not worry a thing.
    Go Zags!

Gonzaga, like all the other teams are going to drop some games. Taking shots at players is pitiful. As fans we are spoiled with the success of the team. I get a little tired of whiners when things go south.

Give me a healthy team in march and see how it goes. I'm really impressed with this team. The guards have been in the system months not years and will improve. The youth of Timme showed up but his efforts were 100%. Kispert played great this week. Michigan took him out of it this game. Tillie is getting back into the swing. Joel wasn't effective today but shows greatness in the future. Filip shows great growth from last season and will improve as the season goes.

Michigan did the same to North Carolina. They may be the best team in the B10. It's not a fluke that they are undefeated.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by uZiGiZaG View Post
    We got our butt whooped but tbh we are not far off from being really good
    Second place in an incredibly stacked tournament, and dealing with more injuries than I can keep track of . . . it looks ok to me, and we'll be a lot better later in the season.

Ballo would have been a great addition today.

Our bigs need to watch some Sabonis film. That guy was MEAN in the paint. Physical. Took pride in pushing people around and not letting himself get pushed around. Our guys could use some of that fire.

Also I think Ayayi needs to start getting more minutes to the detriment of minutes for the two transfer guards.

Tillie put up 20 today (no one else had more than 10). But Tillie's points seem to be threes or generated due to mismatches or his length in the paint. I'd like to see him try and create more looks for himself.

Zags missed about 10-15 points due to poor touches/inability to finish (reminded me of Karno in the UNC title game).

Michigan played great. Shot the ball well. Bigs wanted it and executed.

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post

+1

We have not seen the best from our two transfer guards (injuries) as yet. Petrusev needs to either finish better in the paint or take less shots...

The team will learn from this and be stronger for it.

Michigan is a healthy, talented and experienced (and soon to be ranked a) top 5 team.

I'll take 2 and 1 in tournament. This game was embarrassing and im going to say what i think it was. No 3 point defense. Your star guard attempting 3 shots when mattered. Post players afraid of contact. It is a learning experience but can still be embarrassing loss.

Few called this team soft and lack of any toughness. So he said what he thought too.
    Love the zags for life

Quote Originally Posted by ZagOD7540 View Post
    Kispert just needs to go to the hole more. Relying too much on the 3. He’s too big and strong of a kid to not take it hard into the lane and to the hoop. It will open up everything else for him. He’s been in this system long enough to figure things out. He should get to the line 8-10 times a game.
    There was a play when he drove to the basket and tried to lay it in today. I think he missed or it was blocked. But he looked really strong going to the basket and looked like he was going to throw down a massive dunk. At that point I drew the same conclusion as you... man this guy can really get it, but seems to want to shoot more rather than power through. Physically, he's mature and looks stronger than our other forwards. I'd love to see what he can do in more iso situations.