Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Joel Ayayi

I would like to say that I also agree that Joel does not have to score to be an asset on this team. He gets more than his share of rebounds and also does some great assists. When the coaches want our bigs to be doing the scoring it is up to the rest to feed them and not feel like they are being ignored. Joel and the others have done a super job of this.

I'm curious if anyone caught Joel's radio interview after the SMU game before the Seniors post game kennel talk. He was going on about how he loved playing in front of the kennel and was looking forward to next year playing in front of the fans again. He sounded grounded about next season. We'll keep our fingers crossed for his return. I believe he knows he has more to learn before moving on.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

In mid season when Joel wass putting up points, rebounding, playing good defense, there were some who thought he'd be going to the draft or at least the next level. FIlip was included in that. I hope we keep Joel ( sounds like we will) for his talent he's continue to develop and show the new 2 or 3 guards how things work in this system. Although FIlip is POY in WCC, I still think ( given his recent performances.not the points scored..) he'd do well to stick around. Many may well disagree. I suppose lots will be determined how Filip does in the tournaments forthcoming.

Quote Originally Posted by White lightning View Post
    I'm curious if anyone caught Joel's radio interview after the SMU game before the Seniors post game kennel talk. He was going on about how he loved playing in front of the kennel and was looking forward to next year playing in front of the fans again. He sounded grounded about next season. We'll keep our fingers crossed for his return. I believe he knows he has more to learn before moving on.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Caught that too, lightning. Not sure if he was on cruise control when he mentioned next year, but he did phrase it that way.

(point of order - it's SMC)
    But we don't play nobody.

Happy 20th today to Joel!

We hope you'll be back, 'cause you're still young and have lots more to learn.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Norvell was quoted by some sports journalist recently as saying that he wouldn't have left GU if he could have known he would go undrafted. He expected (and I have no doubt was being told by some) that he'd be signed. There's always so much temptation to listen to the voices telling us what we want to hear

I don't have any clue how much that kind of stuff filters back to the players there now, but if it does, I can't imagine reading it would make Joel any more inclined to leave at just age 20. He's also dropped down or off the mock drafts since December/January.

I still think Petrusev is a goner even if every NBA team and scout tell him that they won't take him. I don't think he would mind playing pro in Europe right away, and I'm not sure another year at GU (or anything) ever brings him NBA level athleticism or defense.

I think Petrusev has NBA athleticism. he has incredible body control for a big and is a coordinated athlete, like Pau Gasol. His biggest issue is defense and I don't see him fixing that ever. Ayayi's stock has fallen considerably over the back half of league play.

From Sam Vecenie, one of the more in the know draft guys and is over at the Athletic

A guy I got told to go back and watch a little closer that I’m probably a little too high on draft-wise is Joel Ayayi. The defense and ball handling is a bit too messy right now for what the role is projected to be. He’ll drop down my board a bit here.

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    Norvell was quoted by some sports journalist recently as saying that he wouldn't have left GU if he could have known he would go undrafted. He expected (and I have no doubt was being told by some) that he'd be signed. There's always so much temptation to listen to the voices telling us what we want to hear

I don't have any clue how much that kind of stuff filters back to the players there now, but if it does, I can't imagine reading it would make Joel any more inclined to leave at just age 20. He's also dropped down or off the mock drafts since December/January.

I still think Petrusev is a goner even if every NBA team and scout tell him that they won't take him. I don't think he would mind playing pro in Europe right away, and I'm not sure another year at GU (or anything) ever brings him NBA level athleticism or defense.
    Probably the most certain outcome with both Petrusev and Ayayi is that should they stay at GU another year their NBA prospects will increase. GU’s a darn good place to improve. Both have improved at GU already.

On a purely speculative note - maybe far fetched - with a nasty virus spreading worldwide - how’s that going to impact professional basketball? A more prudent decision may be to hang out in college (???)

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
    I think Petrusev has NBA athleticism. he has incredible body control for a big and is a coordinated athlete, like Pau Gasol. His biggest issue is defense and I don't see him fixing that ever. Ayayi's stock has fallen considerably over the back half of league play.

From Sam Vecenie, one of the more in the know draft guys and is over at the Athletic

A guy I got told to go back and watch a little closer that I’m probably a little too high on draft-wise is Joel Ayayi. The defense and ball handling is a bit too messy right now for what the role is projected to be. He’ll drop down my board a bit here.
    agree with most of this
    disagree with the concept that Petrusev cannot fix defense.......the vast majority of his issues is mental, determination and the will to engage in detailed actions coming from the scouting report and aligning with the overall team goal on defense

Those are all teachable, deliverable and can be improved upon

For me the two factors on defense he absolutely is in need of improving and CAN be taught with another year at GU, thus pushing him to a first round draft pick would be
    Defensive rebounding position and angles
    Shot blocking and anticipation to be in right spot to block shots
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

I think Petrusev has NBA athleticism. he has incredible body control for a big and is a coordinated athlete, like Pau Gasol. His biggest issue is defense and I don't see him fixing that ever.
    I always wonder why this is the case. He the athleticism and the body control, why can’t he figure out the defensive part? Just curious if it is just something he doesn’t care about or limits on lateral athleticism.

Ladyzag12 or Zagger - Do either of you think Petrusev will be on a regular season NBA roster in the next 4 years?