Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Joel Ayayi

I think he may end up being the one of the most important players.

his defense has lots of room for improvement, especially considering his potential on that end of the floor with his wingspan. he let naz carter drain two in rhythm uncontested threes with his arms down right over him late in the game...needs to close out way better than that, especially in such a tight game during crunch time.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagMan in Philly View Post
    He got ice in his veins!
    We're learning more and more about him every week, and liking it!

Quote Originally Posted by tyra View Post
    I don’t care who is coming in next year, Joel starts.
    Joel won't be at Gonzaga next year because he will be in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    his defense has lots of room for improvement, especially considering his potential on that end of the floor with his wingspan. he let naz carter drain two in rhythm uncontested threes with his arms down right over him late in the game...needs to close out way better than that, especially in such a tight game during crunch time.
    I noticed that too. Woolridge did the same thing on another one. Drives me crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by basketballzag View Post

I hope not. Could be a real force in the NCAA next year.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

That oop to Kispert was a special play. He has gone from a gifted offensive player in my mind to a gifted basketball player. As mentioned before, more effort on the defensive end seems to be his major area for growth.

I think that his lack of hops keeps him from being a no-brainer NBA draft pick at this moment in time, but I am terrible with those types of projections.

Ayayi missed an semi-contested NBA three pointer with 1 minute left in the game, 11 seconds left on the shot clock, and the Zags up by three. UW had a chance to tie. UW misses on a 3 point shot. Ayayi then gets the ball, dribbles to a spot on the court two feet back from the NBA three point line, and nails a three ball to close out the game. ICE in his veins is certainty correct. If he misses that second three ball I'd imagine his post-game conversations with the coaching staff go a lot differently... We need a guy like that on the team. Norvell won more games than he lost for us. Need someone to make the big shots. Is Ayayi our guy? Seems like it.

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    Ayayi missed an semi-contested NBA three pointer with 1 minute left in the game, 11 seconds left on the shot clock, and the Zags up by three. UW had a chance to tie. UW misses on a 3 point shot. Ayayi then gets the ball, dribbles to a spot on the court two feet back from the NBA three point line, and nails a three ball to close out the game. ICE in his veins is certainty correct. If he misses that second three ball I'd imagine his post-game conversations with the coaching staff go a lot differently... We need a guy like that on the team. Norvell won more games than he lost for us. Need someone to make the big shots. Is Ayayi our guy? Seems like it.
    i'd rather tillie be the one taking those shots, but it's always good to have a second option and happy that ayayi has developed the confidence to take the big shots...his shot selection could be better though.

on the next possession, I think, CK got switched onto Carter with Ayayi washed off, and CK bolted at Carter to force his dribble off the catch. So Carter drove in and was out of control, then Joel overcame it all with his iced veins

the beauty of basketball, the chance to redeem if you just keep playing and don't give up, never give up...in honor of Jimmy V and the JimmyV Classic coming up

Serious question because I don't follow these types of things: Is Joel on nba mock draft boards? I feel like it keeps coming up on this board that he could be gone after this year - was just wondering if zag fans are overreacting or if this is something that the "experts" are pointing to as a possibility also.

He very well could go the Norvell route, or he could stay another year and most likely position himself for a lottery, pending no setbacks.
    America's Team!

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    That oop to Kispert was a special play. He has gone from a gifted offensive player in my mind to a gifted basketball player. As mentioned before, more effort on the defensive end seems to be his major area for growth.

I think that his lack of hops keeps him from being a no-brainer NBA draft pick at this moment in time, but I am terrible with those types of projections.
    if the nba folks feel like ayayi can play the point he could definitely be gone after this year...i don't see him getting drafted as a shooting guard...not elite as a shooter and hasn't shown ability to create his own shot or get to the rim.

All I have to say about Joel Ayayi after UW game is:

ONIONS!
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

if the nba folks feel like ayayi can play the point he could definitely be gone after this year...i don't see him getting drafted as a shooting guard...not elite as a shooter and hasn't shown ability to create his own shot or get to the rim.
    IMO... He hasn't had to... he can create shots and get to the rim but that is not his role... just like they run few if any plays for him.... kids a baller and he will make $$ somewhere barring injury... hope we can keep him one more year...

Go!! Zags!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

No way Joel is a lottery pick this year, but he could be after next year. Even more than Norvell, he would be way ahead to forego the NBA this season. He's still really young, and doesn't posses the elite hops / athleticism to get drafted purely on physical potential.

Joel is Darren Collison 2.0. We’d be very lucky to keep him one more year.

Not NBA caliber yet but he definitely took a big leap between freshman and sophomore years which is what elite guys do. This talk of NBA after this season sounds like "homerism" to me. Really glad to have him playing so well. Keep up the good work Joel!!

ZZ

I couldn't recall if Basketballzag was a team "insider" with access to non-public info. I hope not. Evidence says no, at least concerning his draft claims from the past.

Re: Collins and NWG leaving GU early
    "...I have no doubt that NWG and Collins come back next year. Collins will not be a lottery pick this year but will next year."
    Re: 2017 Gonzaga conference realignment
    I strongly believe that the wheels are currently turning at a very fast pace and that something will be announced by the end of the year.
    Re: 2 coaches changes that never happened
    Greg Marshall is headed to Indiana and Kermit Davis to LSU is what I'm hearing.
    Re: incorrect draft prediction
    I'm hearing the Lakers will not select Ball #2.
    re: Collins rookie year
    Zach Collins will get one year with Portland and the majority of that year will be learning how to play in the G-League.
    Basketballzag - do you care to divulge what your connection to the team or inside info? I'm curious why you are son sure Ayayi will be gone. If your past predictions are a guide, Ayayi will be here.
    Last edited by LTownZag; 12-09-2019 at 03:24 PM.

Petrusev and Tillie may get drafted. I thought Watson would be too. But right now I think we need a lot more from all of these guys for any of them to get a better than late second round pick. Ayayi will need to dominate the rest of the year because he's basically unknown, other than his team France experience.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Joel is Darren Collison 2.0. We’d be very lucky to keep him one more year.
    Ayayi May have a breakout run in the tourney and secure himself as a 1st rd draft pick. I think one more season of improvement along his current trajectory and he can become a top 15 pick. He has lots he can improve on.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by zagzilla View Post
    Not NBA caliber yet but he definitely took a big leap between freshman and sophomore years which is what elite guys do. This talk of NBA after this season sounds like "homerism" to me. Really glad to have him playing so well. Keep up the good work Joel!!

ZZ
    Totally agree with you. IMO kind of getting carried away to think he will get drafted after this year. Then again, suppose I could end up being wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    I hope not. Could be a real force in the NCAA next year.
    We need him next year. Ballo needs him to stay.
    Parlez-vous français?

Joel filling in for a missing Norvell nicely. We haven't really mentioned his absence since the season started.

Zach as another experienced zag possibly could have taken this team to another level.

Does having Woolridge as point and Joel getting more minutes make the team better. Would Woolridge and Gilder even been recruited if Zach stayed. One never knows.

I'm glad Joel is blossoming this season. Gives players incentives to stay the course when developing. Examples Jeremy Jones, Kyle Dranginis, and Mike Hart. All became key players in the Zags story.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Zach who?

Quote Originally Posted by White lightning View Post
    Joel filling in for a missing Norvell nicely. We haven't really mentioned his absence since the season started.

Zach as another experienced zag possibly could have taken this team to another level.

Does having Woolridge as point and Joel getting more minutes make the team better. Would Woolridge and Gilder even been recruited if Zach stayed. One never knows.

I'm glad Joel is blossoming this season. Gives players incentives to stay the course when developing. Examples Jeremy Jones, Kyle Dranginis, and Mike Hart. All became key players in the Zags story.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk