Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Joel Ayayi

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaZagFan View Post
    Watching Ayayi live these past 2 days has really given me an appreciation. Everytime there is a loose ball he has a knack and the quickness to get the ball. His confidence is rising like those cartoon thermometers that eventually bursts when it reaches the top! Been fun watching him, the Kispert resurrection and the entire Zags team!!
    Zag crowd support was evident on TV...good job.

He's the most valuable guard we have right now, and he needs to play more. He get's real good minutes off the bench, but he still needs to play more. I believe Few needs to figure this out. Right now Gilder is not playing well, and Woolridge only so so in my opinion. Neither of them can shoot from the outside and that will kill us.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

The only major thing I'd like to see improve in Ayayi's game (Woolridge too) is free throws. Ayayi is shooting 45.5% from the line. Woolridge is barely better at 52.2% Those two have the lowest FT% on the team.

Great thread... I'm so impressed with Ayayi's play this season. His 3-point shooting has been fantastic and his rebounding - AMAZING. He really looks comfortable out there. I hope he continues to improve his game throughout the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Worthington View Post
    Future first rounder. The most shocking thing has been the improvement of his three point shot. I had no confidence in his outside shooting ability last year, now it looks good a
    lmost every time. One of the most impressive off season evolutions I've seen from any Zag.
    - i'll be the second to amen this post. greatest growth and improvement i can recall from any player, one season to the next.

I’m not sure why he wasn’t given a starting spot after his France showing...he balled out in FIBA (so did baby Shaq btw).
    Unless Few guarantees his grad transfers starting spots which he might ...Joel has earned a spot now in my eyes. He’s so smooth and in control, and his jumper is deadly. Maybe second best shooter on team (think he passes Tillie for second spot or already has).

Quote Originally Posted by CdAZagFan View Post
    Great thread... I'm so impressed with Ayayi's play this season. His 3-point shooting has been fantastic and his rebounding - AMAZING. He really looks comfortable out there. I hope he continues to improve his game throughout the season.
    Extremely small sample size. He is at least a okay free throw shooter (75ish range). Might need another year but tough not to see the pro potential.

Here's some numbers to bolster what everyone is saying in this thread. Joel is leading the team in:

Plus-Minus (+12) by three points over the next best guy (Watson). In fact he leads in both box plus-minus offense, and box plus minus defense;
    Offensive rating;
    Effective field goal %;
    Defensive rebounding (TIED with Petrušev!);
    Assist rate;
    Close 2-pt shot%

He's a close second in:

Defensive rating (Tillie 1st, and hasn't played much)
    True shooting percentage (Kispert)
    Assist to Turnover (Gilder)
    Steal rate (Watson)

That's amazing, especially for a guy coming off the bench!

Reference: http://www.barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Gonzaga

Today's game with Michigan will be a real test for Ayayi. Michigan has really good guards, and good bigs. I think that Ayayi passes the test with flying colors. As well as he's been playing, I believe he's going to have his best game today. He's certain the rising star of this team.

Go Zags!!!

he's already improved but he still needs to get stronger physically. the only thing missing is a lack of explosiveness and that might improve with more strength. it's rare for someone that fast and quick to not be able to get up, so gotta believe there's room for development in that aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    he's already improved but he still needs to get stronger physically. the only thing missing is a lack of explosiveness and that might improve with more strength. it's rare for someone that fast and quick to not be able to get up, so gotta believe there's room for development in that aspect.
    Ayayi has such unique athleticism. He glides but doesn’t soar. Deceptive and effective....but, yeah, learning how to elevate and dunk in traffic would really take Ayayi’s game up another notch.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

I'm going to nitpick for a moment, but I would like him to stay tighter to his man on defense and close out harder. He shouldn't have to worry about fatigue much as a bench player and is quick enough to glue himself to his guy like Richard Sherman if he wanted to.

I love his game, though, for all of the reasons already mentioned. He reminds me a bit of Big Smooth with his long arms and the way he shoots his 3s, as well as the way he handles himself on the offensive end (if you can forgive comparing a guard to a forward). It doesn't seem like he can get sped up by the defender and very casually- and easily-- dribbles out of pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    - i'll be the second to amen this post. greatest growth and improvement i can recall from any player, one season to the next.
    Olynyk?

Ayayi has been incredible. I'm astonished at how good he's become. All the people who watched the international competitions and said he was a star-in-waiting were correct. Save Tillie, Joel is my favorite player on the team so far...

Hes playing well...good instincts.

For me his growth trajectory reminds me of that of Rui. Rui improved tremendously every year. Every year he got better and better, and his role on the team increased each year until he became a star. I've always believed that Ayayi would be a star here at Gonzaga. Maybe not this year, but next year for sure, and then he's going to be off to the NBA.

Where do you think Joel go from here ? He has look every bit of a potential future pro. Wondering how long we can have him in Spokane.

Quote Originally Posted by caduceus View Post
    Here's some numbers to bolster what everyone is saying in this thread.

Reference: http://www.barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Gonzaga
    Thanks for the link, cad. Have added that to the menu of websites, etc., found in the General Basketball forum

Basketball Web Sites Listing

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Jackson Frank
    @jackfrank_jjf
    ·
    16h
    Joel Ayayi on waiting his turn the first 2 years:

"It's been hard. It's been two years, so obviously it's been hard. But just gotta trust the process, trust the work you've been putting in and I think it shows."

Quote Originally Posted by Pleasant Peninsula View Post
    Olynyk?

Ayayi has been incredible. I'm astonished at how good he's become. All the people who watched the international competitions and said he was a star-in-waiting were correct. Save Tillie, Joel is my favorite player on the team so far...
    Nope, Olynyk was a redshirt the previous season.

I swear his arms are 3 inches longer than they were last year. I know that's not the case but it seems like it!

I love Joel and though I’m not impartial. I’d love to see him start. I am glad to see he is an important player this season.
    Does Joel have weaknesses I don’t see? In post #37 above JP... mentioned how tight he guards. And at 1:37 in the post-game presser on Youtube( https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=edDbNw_LQfo&t=835s ) Few comments he has work to do.

Um...he started last game.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Um...he started last game.
    Indeed.

I took it as, "I'd love to see him be the starter." (As in the regular starter). You could also take it as, "I'd love to see him start the next game."

He got ice in his veins!

He continues to shine and brings a solid dimension to the game; you can count on him to have a positive impact, on defense and offense. That consistent scoring from him allows Tillie, Petro, Kispert, and the others more room to operate.