X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr Vulture
    Zag for Life
    • May 2008

Joel will be fine. He hasn’t been great the last couple weeks but he’s still a big part of the success of this team. Really don’t think it has to do with teams adjusting to him, it’s just a rough stretch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Hoopaholic
      • Mar 2008

Originally posted by StatZag19 View Post
      Think we need to have a real talk about Joel.

His play over the past few weeks is a decline of what we saw from non-conference play. He is increasingly disappearing on offense, taking less and less quality shots. His turnovers per game over the past 7-8 games is also way up. I think NCAA has officially adjusted to Joel and knows how to handle him now.

I have heard comments from some people that Ayayi looks tired. I am curious if others on this board share that same perspective. Toll of high/heavy minutes catching up to him?
      Sophomore wall. Looking to see him bounce back

His rebounding has been strong

Shot selection has changed, lack of confidence lately?

Don’t agree on turnovers over last 8 games or so. Has 15 total which is about his season average, but has had 3 very bad games, BYU with 4 Pepperdine with 3 Pepperdine with 6
      The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• LTownZag
        Banned
        • Mar 2017

He has plus body type and skill but currently bad judgement. That’s it.

Comment

• White lightning
          Zag for Life
          • Dec 2017

Teams have a lot of tape on Gonzaga and are finding ways to slow the offense. Joel is now not a surprise to them like us earlier in the season. His play earlier in the season was probably above his average and now its slightly below. I feel he's going to have another stellar performance before the season ends.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

• bballbeachbum
            Zag for Life
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by White lightning View Post
            Teams have a lot of tape on Gonzaga and are finding ways to slow the offense. Joel is now not a surprise to them like us earlier in the season. His play earlier in the season was probably above his average and now its slightly below. I feel he's going to have another stellar performance before the season ends.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
            was just going to post something similar man

it's not just adjusting to him, but the Zags in general, good point

so the transition baskets are down, leading to more possession by possession stuff, and that has proven more of a chllenge to Joel imo, especially on D where he gets matched up with some tanks on the switches sometimes and just gets pounded on. Lee didn't score on him last night that I can recall, but I'd bet Joel has 2-3 good bruises and other aches from trying to check him in the box while giving up I don't know how many pounds to that guy. that stuff adds up, BYU not the first to do it to him like that

Comment

• ZagHouse
              Kennel Club
              • Jan 2009

As tall as he is and with his prowess with grabbing rebounds, I don’t understand why he doesn’t dunk. There is still a bit of timidity to his game that I’d like to see him shed. How awesome would it be for him to throw something down. I can’t recall him ever dunking the ball which has allowed defenders to get back and block his shot. It’s happened a couple times now on fast breaks the last few games.

Comment

• StatZag19
                Professional Zag Fan
                • May 2019

Originally posted by Hoopaholic View Post
                Don’t agree on turnovers over last 8 games or so. Has 15 total which is about his season average, but has had 3 very bad games, BYU with 4 Pepperdine with 3 Pepperdine with 6
                Before that 7 game stretch, Joel was averaging 1.36 TOs per game. His past 7 is 2.14. Season average is 1.6ish.

I may have exaggerated a bit, but it's still true they're up and from the eye test, his ball handling hasn't looked great; especially in traffic.

I do think he'll get much better at this in the offseason, like a lot of Zags do.
                I take nothing nor anyone on this forum seriously in any form or way. It is no more or less than a satirical board until legitimacy is restored.

Comment

• ZagaZags
                  Banned
                  • May 2010

Originally posted by Zags1993 View Post
                  Where do you think Joel go from here ? He has look every bit of a potential future pro. Wondering how long we can have him in Spokane.
                  2 more years.......

Comment

• ZagaZags
                    Banned
                    • May 2010

Originally posted by basketballzag View Post
                    Joel won't be at Gonzaga next year because he will be in the NBA.
                    Good thing GU has Dom and Jalen coming.

Comment

• FloridaZagFan
                      Bleeds GU Blue
                      • May 2019

Originally posted by ZagHouse View Post
                      As tall as he is and with his prowess with grabbing rebounds, I don’t understand why he doesn’t dunk. There is still a bit of timidity to his game that I’d like to see him shed. How awesome would it be for him to throw something down. I can’t recall him ever dunking the ball which has allowed defenders to get back and block his shot. It’s happened a couple times now on fast breaks the last few games.
                      Joel has nice length and can shoot but he is not a super vertical athlete. Of course he can dunk but he's not Stanley (Duke) who can finish over people and he is 6'5 like Joel. If the space in the paint isnt crowded he is a good finisher that's why in transition he scores so easily. He is a lateral athlete so he needs space to create that's why when the paint is full he struggles. If we are not scoring points in transition then Joel's game goes a little flat unless he is making NBA 3's and fewer teams will let him take those.

Comment

• MDABE80
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

The least of his problems is dunking. Geez. Lol. He’s simply not the same kid. His defense is lousy and for kid who is as quick north south as wool ridge. He’s gotten very slow. Few will figure it out but this Uber talented youngster will be here with us for another year at the very least. Love him!

Comment

• FloridaZagFan
                          Bleeds GU Blue
                          • May 2019

Originally posted by MDABE80 View Post
                          The least of his problems is dunking. Geez. Lol. He’s simply not the same kid. His defense is lousy and for kid who is as quick north south as wool ridge. He’s gotten very slow. Few will figure it out but this Uber talented youngster will be here with us for another year at the very least. Love him!
                          I really like his game, I just want to see more of it! He has been a big part of this team.

Comment

• Zagricultural
                            Professional Zag Fan
                            • Nov 2012

He just needs a consistent motor. Not enough fire enough of the time.

Comment

• Spike#1
                              Kennel Club Alum
                              • Oct 2016

Here is a great article on Joel from the Spokesman.

Joel Ayayi hears the rumbling that his play has faded during the stretch drive of the regular season. He doesn’t agree, pointing out that assumption is based largely on, well, points.

What a great attitude / example of team chemistry on this team:

“When we play against those big, physical teams, maybe we need me a little bit more. In conference, the right play is to pass the ball down low,” Ayayi said. “To be honest, I mean Filip, Killian and Drew are killing it, so why keep the ball outside when the easy play should be passing down low and they delivered the whole conference?”

Comment

• DZ
                                Zag for Life
                                • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Spike#1 View Post
                                “When we play against those big, physical teams, maybe we need me a little bit more. In conference, the right play is to pass the ball down low,” Ayayi said. “To be honest, I mean Filip, Killian and Drew are killing it, so why keep the ball outside when the easy play should be passing down low and they delivered the whole conference?”
                                Yes, but do please feel free to keep hitting 20 foot daggers with 3 minutes left. A couple at BYU might've gone a long way. His shot might've been the most important single shot versus SMC.
                                Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                                Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                                X