Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Joel Ayayi

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    When we get the chance to go to the games I try to watch how Few acts when players make gaffs and how Few interacts with the offender afterwards. Few can look pretty pissed and/or WTF-like. When he gets to directly confront the player it’s more like a ‘Great effort but’ .... and often pats them on the back or does some other positive body language move. Few may take someone out for a bit but it really is more of a putting another player in. Whether it’s me with Kool-aid colored glasses or not I think Few’s coaching has gotten more humanistic these last 3-4 years. After Few chat’s with a player Michelson usually says something too. Once the player is seated they tend to more often have a ‘happy camper’ look than being upset in any fashion.
    All in all the team just seems to be on the same page, have the same goals, and they understand what works and what does not. Few seems to be pretty good at getting the best out of individuals. I think the whole program works that way. And, as individuals, each player appears to me to be treated fairly and knows it.
    It’d be fun to really hear what is being said on the sidelines during a game. I can only surmise what’s discussed from visual clues and behaviors. I’m liking what I do see
    Thanks for the observation. Adam Morrison told a story on a podcast of a time when he was verbally undressed by Coach. If I recall, he said it was after a game that he played well in. I have no doubt that Few knows how to get up close and personal with his “critiques,” but I’m guessing it’s like parenting, where you try to get to each player in different ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Zags1993 View Post
    following up, now 24th here. Also in 20s for SI and Bleacher report. Tough to believe he won't at least test waters.

I guess in the NBA they don't care whether you put up a hand when your man is shooting 3s.

following up, now 24th here. Also in 20s for SI and Bleacher report. Tough to believe he won't at least test waters.
    He absolutely should go thru the NBA workouts but I believe he really needs another year in the program. As far as draft projections, he wasn't even ranked in the draft projections last month on the more reliable sites (had no idea SI had one). I don't even think he's the best guard on the team right now although the NBA is about upside and he has the most upside. He would never see the floor next year in the NBA if he went whereas he could benefit by another year of development and play.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    Thanks for the observation. Adam Morrison told a story on a podcast of a time when he was verbally undressed by Coach. If I recall, he said it was after a game that he played well in. I have no doubt that Few knows how to get up close and personal with his “critiques,” but I’m guessing it’s like parenting, where you try to get to each player in different ways.
    I heard it not to long ago! Something about " you think you are a Larry Bird M#%÷&@" he really lit into him!

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaZagFan View Post
    I heard it not to long ago! Something about " you think you are a Larry Bird M#%÷&@" he really lit into him!
    Yes! That’s it. “...but you’re more like Kiki VanDeWegh.” (Something like that). I think it was the podcast with Doug Gottlieb.

Sports illustrated and bleacher report both had him in the 20s last month.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    He absolutely should go thru the NBA workouts but I believe he really needs another year in the program. As far as draft projections, he wasn't even ranked in the draft projections last month on the more reliable sites (had no idea SI had one). I don't even think he's the best guard on the team right now although the NBA is about upside and he has the most upside. He would never see the floor next year in the NBA if he went whereas he could benefit by another year of development and play.
    He was projected in the 20s by Bleacher Report and Sports Illustrated last month. We had this same conversation with links and examples a week ago.

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...85#post1492585

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    Yes! That’s it. “...but you’re more like Kiki VanDeWegh.” (Something like that). I think it was the podcast with Doug Gottlieb.
    Gottlieb! That was it!

Think we need to have a real talk about Joel.

His play over the past few weeks is a decline of what we saw from non-conference play. He is increasingly disappearing on offense, taking less and less quality shots. His turnovers per game over the past 7-8 games is also way up. I think NCAA has officially adjusted to Joel and knows how to handle him now.

I have heard comments from some people that Ayayi looks tired. I am curious if others on this board share that same perspective. Toll of high/heavy minutes catching up to him?

Joel will be fine. He hasn’t been great the last couple weeks but he’s still a big part of the success of this team. Really don’t think it has to do with teams adjusting to him, it’s just a rough stretch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by StatZag19 View Post
    Think we need to have a real talk about Joel.

His play over the past few weeks is a decline of what we saw from non-conference play. He is increasingly disappearing on offense, taking less and less quality shots. His turnovers per game over the past 7-8 games is also way up. I think NCAA has officially adjusted to Joel and knows how to handle him now.

I have heard comments from some people that Ayayi looks tired. I am curious if others on this board share that same perspective. Toll of high/heavy minutes catching up to him?
    Sophomore wall. Looking to see him bounce back

His rebounding has been strong

Shot selection has changed, lack of confidence lately?

Don’t agree on turnovers over last 8 games or so. Has 15 total which is about his season average, but has had 3 very bad games, BYU with 4 Pepperdine with 3 Pepperdine with 6
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

He has plus body type and skill but currently bad judgement. That’s it.

Teams have a lot of tape on Gonzaga and are finding ways to slow the offense. Joel is now not a surprise to them like us earlier in the season. His play earlier in the season was probably above his average and now its slightly below. I feel he's going to have another stellar performance before the season ends.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by White lightning View Post
    Teams have a lot of tape on Gonzaga and are finding ways to slow the offense. Joel is now not a surprise to them like us earlier in the season. His play earlier in the season was probably above his average and now its slightly below. I feel he's going to have another stellar performance before the season ends.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    was just going to post something similar man

it's not just adjusting to him, but the Zags in general, good point

so the transition baskets are down, leading to more possession by possession stuff, and that has proven more of a chllenge to Joel imo, especially on D where he gets matched up with some tanks on the switches sometimes and just gets pounded on. Lee didn't score on him last night that I can recall, but I'd bet Joel has 2-3 good bruises and other aches from trying to check him in the box while giving up I don't know how many pounds to that guy. that stuff adds up, BYU not the first to do it to him like that

As tall as he is and with his prowess with grabbing rebounds, I don’t understand why he doesn’t dunk. There is still a bit of timidity to his game that I’d like to see him shed. How awesome would it be for him to throw something down. I can’t recall him ever dunking the ball which has allowed defenders to get back and block his shot. It’s happened a couple times now on fast breaks the last few games.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    Don’t agree on turnovers over last 8 games or so. Has 15 total which is about his season average, but has had 3 very bad games, BYU with 4 Pepperdine with 3 Pepperdine with 6
    Before that 7 game stretch, Joel was averaging 1.36 TOs per game. His past 7 is 2.14. Season average is 1.6ish.

I may have exaggerated a bit, but it's still true they're up and from the eye test, his ball handling hasn't looked great; especially in traffic.

I do think he'll get much better at this in the offseason, like a lot of Zags do.

Where do you think Joel go from here ? He has look every bit of a potential future pro. Wondering how long we can have him in Spokane.
    2 more years.......

Quote Originally Posted by basketballzag View Post
    Joel won't be at Gonzaga next year because he will be in the NBA.
    Good thing GU has Dom and Jalen coming.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagHouse View Post
    As tall as he is and with his prowess with grabbing rebounds, I don’t understand why he doesn’t dunk. There is still a bit of timidity to his game that I’d like to see him shed. How awesome would it be for him to throw something down. I can’t recall him ever dunking the ball which has allowed defenders to get back and block his shot. It’s happened a couple times now on fast breaks the last few games.
    Joel has nice length and can shoot but he is not a super vertical athlete. Of course he can dunk but he's not Stanley (Duke) who can finish over people and he is 6'5 like Joel. If the space in the paint isnt crowded he is a good finisher that's why in transition he scores so easily. He is a lateral athlete so he needs space to create that's why when the paint is full he struggles. If we are not scoring points in transition then Joel's game goes a little flat unless he is making NBA 3's and fewer teams will let him take those.

The least of his problems is dunking. Geez. Lol. He’s simply not the same kid. His defense is lousy and for kid who is as quick north south as wool ridge. He’s gotten very slow. Few will figure it out but this Uber talented youngster will be here with us for another year at the very least. Love him!

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    The least of his problems is dunking. Geez. Lol. He’s simply not the same kid. His defense is lousy and for kid who is as quick north south as wool ridge. He’s gotten very slow. Few will figure it out but this Uber talented youngster will be here with us for another year at the very least. Love him!
    I really like his game, I just want to see more of it! He has been a big part of this team.

He just needs a consistent motor. Not enough fire enough of the time.

Here is a great article on Joel from the Spokesman.

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...lo22SLROHCyR5A

What a great attitude / example of team chemistry on this team:

“When we play against those big, physical teams, maybe we need me a little bit more. In conference, the right play is to pass the ball down low,” Ayayi said. “To be honest, I mean Filip, Killian and Drew are killing it, so why keep the ball outside when the easy play should be passing down low and they delivered the whole conference?”

Quote Originally Posted by Spike#1 View Post
    “When we play against those big, physical teams, maybe we need me a little bit more. In conference, the right play is to pass the ball down low,” Ayayi said. “To be honest, I mean Filip, Killian and Drew are killing it, so why keep the ball outside when the easy play should be passing down low and they delivered the whole conference?”
    Yes, but do please feel free to keep hitting 20 foot daggers with 3 minutes left. A couple at BYU might've gone a long way. His shot might've been the most important single shot versus SMC.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.