Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Joel Ayayi

Yeah, there were a couple times he could have easily got his hands up and contested threes. I was getting irritated seeing that. Its really simple to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagricultural View Post
    Man I hate being right about Joel's closeouts. Seriously!!! What are the coaches doing in practice???!!! He should do nothing but hands up closeouts to start and end every practice.
    Maybe that's the coaches strategy to keep him around for one more year, lol. I know I want him back next year, but he doesn't have a ton of other holes in his game. With how young he is, he will just keep getting better.

Still, 15points, 7assists, 6rebounds on the road vs a top 15 team. Dude is good.

The French connection!

Quote Originally Posted by Zags1993 View Post
    Still, 15points, 7assists, 6rebounds on the road vs a top 15 team. Dude is good.

I re-watched most of the game, and I'm starting to think he's just not a very good on ball defender. Fabulous off ball. Wonder if we ought to play more zone? I'm thinking we maybe would if Watson was healthy.

Its so much fun watching Joel blow up this year. I am sure some of his family friends and supporters are thinking he had much of this last year but didn't get the minutes. I wonder what he would say about that?

At any rate what I am waiting for is improvement in his anticipation of what he will do when he gets the ball. Good NBA players seem to be always ready to make instant moves and actions, the moment they get the ball. Joel still gets the ball and seems a little shocked and starts figuring out what to do. It will be nice when he has done all that thinking beforehand, and will also make him much harder to defend.

Joel has 49 Asst, 15 TO's YTD in 12 games. Would take that A/T ratio for an entire season in a "Noo Yawk" minute. . .

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    Its so much fun watching Joel blow up this year. I am sure some of his family friends and supporters are thinking he had much of this last year but didn't get the minutes. I wonder what he would say about that?

At any rate what I am waiting for is improvement in his anticipation of what he will do when he gets the ball. Good NBA players seem to be always ready to make instant moves and actions, the moment they get the ball. Joel still gets the ball and seems a little shocked and starts figuring out what to do. It will be nice when he has done all that thinking beforehand, and will also make him much harder to defend.
    I don't see it this way at all, really. I think he knows what he's doing at all times. He just plays at a different pace, especially compared to Woolridge. I think that when he's setting up the offense and he has the ball, he is studying the defense. I believe he wants to pass first. That seems to be his role. Which makes sense in a Mark Few offense. Personally, I'm really pleased with his pace, his analytical nature, and his willingness to look to pass first. His running mate, Woolridge, is kind of the opposite. He is constantly looking to attack the basket, and penetrate the defense, whereas, Ayayi sets up the offense and runs plays. Just my opinion. And even in this role to pass first, he manages to score in double figures in most games, and last night he had 15 which is just greatm imo.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I don't see it this way at all, really. I think he knows what he's doing at all times. He just plays at a different pace, especially compared to Woolridge. I think that when he's setting up the offense and he has the ball, he is studying the defense. I believe he wants to pass first. That seems to be his role. Which makes sense in a Mark Few offense. Personally, I'm really pleased with his pace, his analytical nature, and his willingness to look to pass first. His running mate, Woolridge, is kind of the opposite. He is constantly looking to attack the basket, and penetrate the defense, whereas, Ayayi sets up the offense and runs plays. Just my opinion. And even in this role to pass first, he manages to score in double figures in most games, and last night he had 15 which is just greatm imo.
    Agree, thatís what I see.
    Parlez-vous franÁais?

I like pass first especially with him because he is so proficient in rebounding. If he gets the rebound he can shoot. I think his three point shooting is pretty good. He is capable of being the elite of the elite. I think his defense is good but not top notch yet.. .but he is getting there. Fun player to watch...people will learn his name.

Thanks for the reply Reborn, and I think I see what you mean. He is more of a pass first guy than Ryan. Isn't it true, though, that guards like you see in the NBA, and Pangos and even Perkins, will often have a pass in mind when they receive the ball? It seems to me that Ayayi pauses nearly all the time and stops the movement of the ball which allows the defense to catch up and set. I remember seeing Gary Payton often get the ball, make a fake pass, then pass it to an open player right away. Isn't it possible to be pass first and be looking over the defense so that when you get the pass you sometimes already know where you want to pass it? You know the game and I am a learner, but sometimes quick passing around results in creating opportunities for the quick assist IMO. Thanks for discussing it with me so respectfully.

ayayi plays at his own pace...doesn't get sped up. broadcast mentioned the need for him to be be able to "get downhill" which is his primary offensive weakness...needs to get stronger. he's great at "slithering" his way to the hoop, but that only works in the open court in transition and not often in half-court settings. not sure his long & lean body type will allow him to get strong enough to take his game to the next level...hope zags get to keep him for another year.

I’m not liking the speculation about Ayayi going pro after this season. Please stop

Seriously though, if he stays for next season I think we will see another great upswing in Ayayi’s game. More strength and tighter handle and another year of experience in Few’s system will allow him to really control the game and impose his will on it. As others have said, he has got to learn how to get vertical when attacking the rim not just slinky quick attacks. Those won’t work vs pros.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Iím not liking the speculation about Ayayi going pro after this season. Please stop
    It is a bummer to see a Zag leave before graduating. However, if their ultimate goal is to play pro basketball, and itís a slam dunk theyíll land a deal, itís pretty sweet that being a Zag helped make that possible. As fans I kinda feel that we share a wee bit of the credit. Fans, coaches, staff, students, fellow players, the school, the community, etc. all help to pave the road to the NBA. And, a lot of Zags come back to call Spokane home. Rob Sacre being the latest. Recruiting replacement Zags isnít easy but seeing them do well after GU has got to be quite rewarding for the coaches. The hard/good work the program puts in makes it easier to attract high value prospects - a constant improvement of the programís value to all involved - including us fans. All of this plays a huge part in why Mark, Tommy, Brian (and others) both enjoy their work - and stick around.
    Yeah, I hope Joel is a Zag next season too. Itís great to see him steadily improve (dang near with each game). He helps make the Zags a better team. Iíll bet more like him in high school (and even earlier) have their eyes on the Zags already.
    Go Zags
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Does anyone know enough about former players choosing greater Spokane area to live after their playing careers are over to make a list? It would be fun to know who has made that choice. I ran into Josh Heytveldt and his wife and had a long visit with them. She is an artist and so am I so we had a lot to talk about. Josh is a really fine young father and husband, it was clear. If a former player comes back to Spokane why wouldn’t they? Where else could you live and be a star other than their hometown perhaps? I love bumping into current and former players. Every one of them is appreciative and gracious.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

I can say there are a ton of them that come back, it's really a testament to the special kind of community Gonzaga forms.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    Thanks for the reply Reborn, and I think I see what you mean. He is more of a pass first guy than Ryan. Isn't it true, though, that guards like you see in the NBA, and Pangos and even Perkins, will often have a pass in mind when they receive the ball? It seems to me that Ayayi pauses nearly all the time and stops the movement of the ball which allows the defense to catch up and set. I remember seeing Gary Payton often get the ball, make a fake pass, then pass it to an open player right away. Isn't it possible to be pass first and be looking over the defense so that when you get the pass you sometimes already know where you want to pass it? You know the game and I am a learner, but sometimes quick passing around results in creating opportunities for the quick assist IMO. Thanks for discussing it with me so respectfully.
    Sure. I understand your point clearly and agree with you. I think I was thinking more about his pace coming up the court before setting up the offense. Woolridge is always in an attack mode while bringing the ball up court. He likes to penetrate all the way to the rim and come out the other side. That's why I like watching them play together because they have two different styles of play. But once the office is set up, you are so right. That ball needs to zip from side to side, and a good guard NEEDS to think ahead as you say. He needs to have that vision of the court that looks for the next pass or the next play before receiving the ball. That's for clarifying your point.

In terms of Ayayi coming back next year, I believe that because of his age that he could benefit from another year in college. The world of the NBA is a whole other world and I'd like to see him mature a little more before entering that dog eat dog world.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

In terms of Ayayi coming back next year, I believe that because of his age that he could benefit from another year in college. The world of the NBA is a whole other world and I'd like to see him mature a little more before entering that dog eat dog world.

Go Zags!!!
    Bingo And it’s gotta be a heck of a lot of fun!

I feel he could raise his stock simply by putting his hands up while defending the 3pt line.

probably our best NBA prospect at the moment, and with so many NBA scouts watching us these days, he could be a sneaky 1st Rd pick as a combo guard.

His 4:1 assist-to-to ratio doesn't hurt either.

If a player has decent information suggesting he'll be a first round pick (I have NO IDEA if Joel is such a player) it's hard to imagine skipping going pro, even if the next year's college team is stacked and projected top5.

I can think of a couple guys who recently stayed an extra year and their draft stock dropped (Miles Bridges, Ayo Dosumno). I'm not sure how many players projected late first round were able to go early first round after an extra college year.

All that is to say, IF Joel is projected generally or told by NBA folks he'd be a late first rounder, his return to GU next season would be an unusual choice, but one I hope he makes!

From RS, to 3 mpg, to 1st Rd pick.

why would ANY developmental and/or Euro prospect go anywhere else?!

I just saw the Mark Few Show interview of Joel and came away even more impressed with him than I have this year. (I think Heister does a great job with these, by the way). I thought it could have been very easy for someone of Ayayi's reported confidence level to be overconfident, hang his head on the bench, and get frustrated with lack of playing time in the past-- especially considering how long it took him to get his chance. He seems like a humble person with a good measure of self-awareness. He admitted that he wasn't ready for primetime yet and kept trusting the coaches to know when that time was. It was very cool stuff to hear.

Coach was very complimentary of his game in the earlier segment, as well. He did call him out for his need for growth on defense, which has mentioned here already. Frankly, I don't know that the hold-up is. Ayayi is gifted enough athletically, obviously, has had plenty of time in the system to know his assignments, and comes across as a coachable person. I'm guessing that mental focus is the issue, given that playing good defense takes effort and concentration at all times.

As an aside, he also mentioned that the staff gave him confidence and allowed him to play through mistakes. I know this is talked about often here in the context of Coach Few stifling players or killing their confidence by being too tight and not letting them play. Whenever someone thinks that a player is in the "doghouse" it might be a good idea to remember Ayayi and consider that they might just not be ready to take another player's minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    ......As an aside, he also mentioned that the staff gave him confidence and allowed him to play through mistakes. I know this is talked about often here in the context of Coach Few stifling players or killing their confidence by being too tight and not letting them play......
    When we get the chance to go to the games I try to watch how Few acts when players make gaffs and how Few interacts with the offender afterwards. Few can look pretty pissed and/or WTF-like. When he gets to directly confront the player itís more like a ĎGreat effort butí .... and often pats them on the back or does some other positive body language move. Few may take someone out for a bit but it really is more of a putting another player in. Whether itís me with Kool-aid colored glasses or not I think Fewís coaching has gotten more humanistic these last 3-4 years. After Few chatís with a player Michelson usually says something too. Once the player is seated they tend to more often have a Ďhappy camperí look than being upset in any fashion.
    All in all the team just seems to be on the same page, have the same goals, and they understand what works and what does not. Few seems to be pretty good at getting the best out of individuals. I think the whole program works that way. And, as individuals, each player appears to me to be treated fairly and knows it.
    Itíd be fun to really hear what is being said on the sidelines during a game. I can only surmise whatís discussed from visual clues and behaviors. Iím liking what I do see