Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 73

Thread: Gonzaga vs Oregon Post Game thoughts and analysis

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,840

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Whoa. DJ is an nba hall of famer and Bird’s favorite teammate of all time. Love DJ. that’s a reaching foul Bornie.
    Hey, Jazz. Come on. He's only in his 2nd year as a college player. He's 6'5". tough on D like DJ. Good outside jumper and rebounder. I know Ayayi will be a pro. I can see it, Jazz. Also he's not even 20 yet. Let him mature a little more. He's as cool as a cucumber, imo.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Spokane / Goodyear, AZ
    Posts
    1,885

    Default

    Our bigs had the ball batted away down low because they aren't playing arms up, they go down before going to the rim. Karno finally got that concept so can these guys. Dream game win!! This team is better than I had thought. What I like most is they don't fold under pressure, they want that win.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    4 miles from MAC
    Posts
    3,900

    Default

    In pregame radio Hudson and Morrison said we would see more of Arlauskas in this game, mostly because of "injuries" and potential shortened minutes from those ahead of him. Obviously something changed. I think the kid will be a contributor down the line, however/

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    353

    Default

    Tbh a lot of Mark Few teams would of lost this game and never rebounded in OT

    To me, Ayayi had the play of the game with the reverse lay up fast break in OT when down 4


    Filip was amazing too on the rebounds

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,458

    Default

    Pretty clear gilder is hurting, as is woolridge. To win that game with gilder hobbled and Watson not on the court...big time. Ayayi has been unreal this year. Woolridge was masterful against the press. We got our butts handed to us on the glass down the stretch and in OT, but I think a lot of that was tired legs. We held them to one shot most of the first half. Great win!

  6. #31
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bballbeachbum View Post
    And Woolridge was excellent all game dealing with the Oregon pressure
    I agree about Woolly. He has great speed with the ball in his hands, he is so smooth you don't realize how fast he is. He hasn't been able to finish around the rim the way he would like, I'm sure that has to do with the fact he's probably only %80 healthy.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Twin Cities
    Posts
    3,541

    Default Admon Gilder

    What's up with him?

    He looks the healthiest of anyone while playing, yet was noticeably limping on dead balls, walks to the bench, change of possession, etc.

    It seems to bother him quite a bit, and effect his game, confidence, defense, and shooting.

    He played 20 mins tonight, even less last night. He even took himself out of the game a couple times.

    Meanwhile Woolridge logged 41 mins while playing through a messy knee issue.

    Any word on Gilder? He was brought in for these type of games and moments. Hoping he finds his groove again, I think he's such an important piece to the puzzle for this team to realize its potential.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Oregon got about 3-4 straight calls to keep them in the game in the last 3:00 minutes of regular time. They were all very iffy and all went against us. Foul on Timmie for nothing on a lay-up that was made is one I remember.
    There were too many to remember.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Whoa. DJ is an nba hall of famer and Birdís favorite teammate of all time. Love DJ. thatís a reaching foul Bornie.
    My favorite call of all time was by the gravel-voiced announcer in that Pistons game with the steal by Bird and the pass to DJ. I watched that as it was happening on TV as a kid-- swinging from heartbroken to elated in just a few seconds. That might not have been the exact moment when my love of basketball began but it very well could have been.

    DJ was a great defender and so understated.

    Back on topic, Ayayi has been reminding of Victor Oladipo, minus the explosiveness at the rim.

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    My favorite call of all time was by the gravel-voiced announcer in that Pistons game with the steal by Bird and the pass to DJ. I watched that as it was happening on TV as a kid-- swinging from heartbroken to elated in just a few seconds. That might not have been the exact moment when my love of basketball began but it very well could have been.

    DJ was a great defender and so understated.

    Back on topic, Ayayi has been reminding of Victor Oladipo, minus the explosiveness at the rim.
    "now there's a steal by Bird, underneath to DJ, he lays it in!". Good times.

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,726

    Default

    I think they got more than their share of offensive boards because when their players shot the ball we were all trying to block their shots. I think over time the coaches will work in improving this and we will keep getting better. I watched Oregon last night and with our injuries I did not think we could stay up with them. Our players played thru their injuries and stayed with them all the game. Go Zags and beat Michigan.

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Lake Worth , FL
    Posts
    781

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    My favorite call of all time was by the gravel-voiced announcer in that Pistons game with the steal by Bird and the pass to DJ. I watched that as it was happening on TV as a kid-- swinging from heartbroken to elated in just a few seconds. That might not have been the exact moment when my love of basketball began but it very well could have been.

    DJ was a great defender and so understated.

    Back on topic, Ayayi has been reminding of Victor Oladipo, minus the explosiveness at the rim.
    I believe the announcer was Johnny Most also of “Havlicek stole the ball!” Fame.
    "If you smell something, say something." Jon Stewart

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    1,292

    Default

    With the benefit of a little time passing after an exhausting victory I can't help but think we are 10+ points better than the Ducks if reasonably healthy....which is no disrespect to Oregon. They are a scrappy squad and well-coached, and their press took a lot out of us (Woolridge did great but it exploited our short rotation which showed with tired legs late in the game). But at full strength I think we play the entire game against them like we did the first 10 minutes.
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hilton Head (Bluffton), SC
    Posts
    4,566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Nice post Jazz. I agree with what you said about Dykes. He was so for Oregon to win. He appeared very disappointed when the Zags took them. And when Joel ran that ball down of the board and did not let it go out of bounds, Dykes had already given the ball to Oregon. He appeared shocked when Ayayi ran it down and got it.
    Not sure who I like less...Dykes or Dakich...but neither in my top 100 basketball sportscasters

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IowaSERE View Post
    "now there's a steal by Bird, underneath to DJ, he lays it in!". Good times.
    Good times, indeed

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Spo Vegas
    Posts
    2,232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Oregon got about 3-4 straight calls to keep them in the game in the last 3:00 minutes of regular time. They were all very iffy and all went against us. Foul on Timmie for nothing on a lay-up that was made is one I remember.
    One of those bad calls was against Ayayi for rebounding. Over the back? Not even close. Itís been a while since Iíve yelled that loudly at the tv.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gueastcoast View Post
    With the benefit of a little time passing after an exhausting victory I can't help but think we are 10+ points better than the Ducks if reasonably healthy....which is no disrespect to Oregon. They are a scrappy squad and well-coached, and their press took a lot out of us (Woolridge did great but it exploited out short rotation which showed with tired legs late in the game). But at full strength I think we play the entire game against them like we did the first 10 minutes.
    I tend to agree with you. The Zags fell in love with the outside shot a bit but seemed to do well getting the ball down low with the big-to-big stuff. Oregon is Pritchard and a bunch of other guys. I would have been disappointed by this loss because Oregon is one of those teams whose offense seems to be predicated on whatever Pritchard can create, and plan B is to throw the ball up on the rim and rebound it. Their bigs don’t seem to be very skilled but they can really get after the ball above the rim.

    I remember thinking multiple times that we really could have used their backup PG this year (who I believe the Zags recruited). It was interesting to see Oregon take a page out of Few’s book and slide Pritchard down to the 2 at times when the backup PG was in.

    I would like to see what Pritchard would do if they cross-matched Gilder on him so that he couldn’t use his size and strength. Watson no doubt would have helped across the board.

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    724

    Default Game

    Well, Pritchard likes chick flicks and country music.....

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    16,883

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IowaSERE View Post
    "now there's a steal by Bird, underneath to DJ, he lays it in!". Good times.
    The great Johnny Most...”Havlicek stole the ball...Johnny Havlicek.....”

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    16,883

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kyle dixon View Post
    Well, Pritchard likes chick flicks and country music.....
    And he plays the banjo.....

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Just north of I-80
    Posts
    46,293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Kispert’ s 2 late threes, Joel chasing down that rebound, Petro all around....little things. Plus Banjo boy missed one, to Dykes’ shock. Joel will be a lottery pick in 2 years and dominate games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alum08 View Post
    He may be the best rebounding guard in the NCAA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alum08 View Post
    I don't think he'll be a lotto pick, but he went from ? to an NBA prospect in the past few games. He'll probably be starting over Woolridge soon if we aren't facing a press. He reminds me a lot of Roddy Beaubois.
    Can Mr. Ayayi have the same impaxt on the squad as NWG ? From the relatively small sample size, it appears Joel could be the next Nigel. He's really talented, has a high motor, and is thriving in the spotlight.
    Last edited by RenoZag; 11-29-2019 at 07:24 AM.


    Basketball Web Sites Listing

    Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    16,883

    Default

    Same impact of course but they are two very different players. And Joel is still a pup

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Richland, Washington
    Posts
    6,452

    Default

    The non stop promotion for the Oregon point guard was nothing short of irritating. I had to turn the sound off.

    You cannot compare Goss with Ayayi. Simply cannot.

    Just wait until one of those east coast brute wings swat the ball away from Ayayi at crunch time. How soon we have forgotten our collective crying over the Texas Tech "reach ins" and "hand swipes" in the last tournament game for GU. When Ayayi faces a similar gauntlet we will once again understand the one thing that Goss had in spades over any other GU guard. He was STRONG with the ball. Extremely strong with the ball and that is the most ignored attribute I see on these boards. The reason why? You don't have to be strong with the ball to win the WCC. It never comes to mind until we face a team like last year's Texas Tech. Then we will blame our weak ball protection on the referees swallowing their whistles again.

    Wings being strong with the ball is why the Big East dominated college basketball before the exodus of their top tier to the ACC. Think of a conference loaded with teams like last year's "hand swiping" Texas Tech. They had to learn to protect the ball at all times because of the rugged conference play and it really helped them in post season. Goss was an old school Big East guard. He would have done well in that conference and era.
    I miss Mike Hart

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    56,499

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bballbeachbum View Post
    And Woolridge was excellent all game dealing with the Oregon pressure
    Yes. Coming into the season I wasnít sure what to expect from Woolridge but heís really shown himself to be invaluable thus far. Played 40 minutes today, handled a lot of pressure with ease. His handles arenít as tight as Raivioís, but his ability to handle full court pressure with ease definitely reminds me of the old timer. Itís really comforting knowing the ball is in good hands.

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North Side
    Posts
    5,303

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    The non stop promotion for the Oregon point guard was nothing short of irritating. I had to turn the sound off.

    You cannot compare Goss with Ayayi. Simply cannot.

    Just wait until one of those east coast brute wings swat the ball away from Ayayi at crunch time. How soon we have forgotten our collective crying over the Texas Tech "reach ins" and "hand swipes" in the last tournament game for GU. When Ayayi faces a similar gauntlet we will once again understand the one thing that Goss had in spades over any other GU guard. He was STRONG with the ball. Extremely strong with the ball and that is the most ignored attribute I see on these boards. The reason why? You don't have to be strong with the ball to win the WCC. It never comes to mind until we face a team like last year's Texas Tech. Then we will blame our weak ball protection on the referees swallowing their whistles again.

    Wings being strong with the ball is why the Big East dominated college basketball before the exodus of their top tier to the ACC. Think of a conference loaded with teams like last year's "hand swiping" Texas Tech. They had to learn to protect the ball at all times because of the rugged conference play and it really helped them in post season. Goss was an old school Big East guard. He would have done well in that conference and era.
    You must of forgot march. 2 assists and 6 turnovers vs WV on 2 for 9 shooting. We would of been eliminated. He had 26 assists and 15 turnovers in NCAA tourny. 4.2 assist to 2.5 turnovers.

    He was 12 for 42 shooting in the 1st 3 rounds.


    He was good but he wasnt all world. If he was on a normal zag team in 2017 he would of never made a elite 8 or final 4.

    Goss was good but he gets spoken like some god.
    Love the zags for life

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •