Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga vs Oregon Post Game thoughts and analysis

Default Gonzaga vs Oregon Post Game thoughts and analysis

Gonzaga 73
    Oregon 72

Overtime game. Great game. Rough second half, but it's early in the year. Defense wins this one for sure. Petrusev 22 points, 15 boards. Kispert 17, 5-8 from the 3 point line, Ayayi 13, 3-6 from beyond the 3 pt line. Kispert and Woolridge 7 boards each and Ayayi 5. Good rebounding by our guards.

Rebounds was really an issue at the end of the game and in overtime. Tillie, is really not getting any boards and it hurts the team. Timme contributed 7 points and 5 boards off the bench.

Zags did a pretty good job on Pritchard, 7-23, and 3-9 from beyond the arch. He ended with 17 but had to shoot 23 times to get those.

The Zags need a lot of work when a team double teams us in the low post. Petrusev turned the ball over a few times at the end of the game. 13 turnovers for Gonzaga, which is a few too many, and they came on those double teams. Zags win the rebounding battle 50-45, but we did give up too many offensive boards at the end of the game. One other thing is that Oregon put Woolridge on the FT line at the end of the game and he missed the front end of two one and one's. Not good. ALSO he and Gilder shot poorly from the 3 pt line. 0-7, with Gilder going 0-5. That's pretty bad shooting. Ayayi is getting a lot of minutes as he is shooting well. I thought Gilder was supposed to be a good outside shooter.

Gonzaga shot poorly again, 39% for the game and 32% from behind the arc. When your two guards shoot 0-7 it's pretty hard to get a high percentage. However, good news. The team shot 80% from the foul line. I'm sure that's how we won the game. 16-20 for the Zags and 10-14 for Oregon. Way to go Zags!

Anyway. It was a great game. Nice to see us beat Oregon.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Great guts by the squad. I think the inside players are too soft at times when they rebound as crazy as that sounds. I felt like Drew was getting pushed around by #14. Oregon was in the game off offensive boards. Kispert had a good game but he went ghost for too long. Petru is very good.

Overall its a learning experience. The frontcourt is young. Its scary how good they are and how great they can become. Joel is very good.
    Love the zags for life

Kispert’ s 2 late threes, Joel chasing down that rebound, Petro all around....little things. Plus Banjo boy missed one, to Dykes’ shock. Joel will be a lottery pick in 2 years and dominate games.

Ayayi was a stabilizer. Seriously. Both ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Ayayi was a stabilizer. Seriously. Both ends.
    He may be the best rebounding guard in the NCAA.

Beat Michigan and move into top 5.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Kispert’ s 2 late threes, Joel chasing down that rebound, Petro all around....little things. Plus Banjo boy missed one, to Dykes’ shock. Joel will be a lottery pick in 2 years and dominate games.
    Nice post Jazz. I agree with what you said about Dykes. He was so for Oregon to win. He appeared very disappointed when the Zags took them. And when Joel ran that ball down of the board and did not let it go out of bounds, Dykes had already given the ball to Oregon. He appeared shocked when Ayayi ran it down and got it.

If the game was in Nike Town they call the over the back on Petro at end. Game over.

Joel will be a lottery pick in 2 years and dominate games.
    I don't think he'll be a lotto pick, but he went from ? to an NBA prospect in the past few games. He'll probably be starting over Woolridge soon if we aren't facing a press. He reminds me a lot of Roddy Beaubois.

Quote Originally Posted by Alum08 View Post
    I don't think he'll be a lotto pick, but he went from ? to an NBA prospect in the past few games. He'll probably be starting over Woolridge soon if we aren't facing a press. He reminds me a lot of Roddy Beaubois.
    I see Darren Collison.

Ayayi is the force of this team. He does everything solidly. Not crazy numbers but just gives you the numbers
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

If the game was in Nike Town they call the over the back on Petro at end. Game over.
    Oregon got about 3-4 straight calls to keep them in the game in the last 3:00 minutes of regular time. They were all very iffy and all went against us. Foul on Timmie for nothing on a lay-up that was made is one I remember.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Big question: what's happened to our Jimmy Dykes.?? He's off in his head this year. Hard o believe his comments which were "out there"/ I wonder if he's been listen to Walton!!

Joel might be our only NBA guy playing today.

Tillie has a chance if he can ever remain healthy.

Petrusev could make it too, yet gonna have the darndest time defending at that level.

Ayayi could be the next Westbrook if he continues to improve at the rate he is...the kid is everywhere, and I'd argue our toughest player. And best rebounder.

I see Darren Collison.
    I see Dennis Johnson. Shows you my age. hahahaha

God I'm happy. Really happy. I work hard to get something on line here after the game so I don't really take time to feel anything. But it's hitting me now. This is the game we've all been waiting for to see how we would do against a really good team like Oregon. It was a really tough game. Physically tough, and although the Zags were really hurting and beat up from injuries yesterday, the showed that Gonzaga toughness and grit and played a magnificent defensive game. There were so many Zag fans who thought we'd lose (which surprised me) and hopefully they will ALL get on board now and support this team. The Zags are tough mentally. They fell behind by 4 points late in the game, and it didn't look good. And suddenly Kispert hits two three's back to back, and his second one was on a fast break and he pulls up to nail a 3! It was one of those No NO No no no and then OH YESSS! hahahahaha

Great win for Few! I'm sure he's happy. But he won't have much time to enjoy it, as they need to get ready for Michigan.

Go Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Oregon got about 3-4 straight calls to keep them in the game in the last 3:00 minutes of regular time. They were all very iffy and all went against us. Foul on Timmie for nothing on a lay-up that was made is one I remember.
    The announcers did address this post game while interviewing Petrusev, saying a ton of questionable calls at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Big question: what's happened to our Jimmy Dykes.?? He's off in his head this year. Hard o believe his comments which were "out there"/ I wonder if he's been listen to Walton!!
    He looked dyspeptic all night and in the silly promo videos ....he used to love GU.

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    The announcers did address this post game while interviewing Petrusev, saying a ton of questionable calls at the end.
    No they didn’t they egged Petro to say something.

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    Glad they mentioned it bc when they had several replays on all the calls where they're left saying "Nothing there" and it happens 3-4 times in a row, it looks really bad.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Whoa. DJ is an nba hall of famer and Bird’s favorite teammate of all time. Love DJ. that’s a reaching foul Bornie.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I see Dennis Johnson. Shows you my age. hahahaha

God I'm happy. Really happy. I work hard to get something on line here after the game so I don't really take time to feel anything. But it's hitting me now. This is the game we've all been waiting for to see how we would do against a really good team like Oregon. It was a really tough game. Physically tough, and although the Zags were really hurting and beat up from injuries yesterday, the showed that Gonzaga toughness and grit and played a magnificent defensive game. There were so many Zag fans who thought we'd lose (which surprised me) and hopefully they will ALL get on board now and support this team. The Zags are tough mentally. They fell behind by 4 points late in the game, and it didn't look good. And suddenly Kispert hits two three's back to back, and his second one was on a fast break and he pulls up to nail a 3! It was one of those No NO No no no and then OH YESSS! hahahahaha

Great win for Few! I'm sure he's happy. But he won't have much time to enjoy it, as they need to get ready for Michigan.

Go Zags!!!

I wish tie-ups gave the ball to the defense, instead of alternating possession. Defenses should get rewarded, rather than basically a coin flip.

That said, huge win! Ayayi is cool as a cucumber under pressure. Great team effort overall, especially when we couldn't seem to generate any offense.

Beat Michigan!

Is Martynas that far outside the rotation as a wing? I keep thinking he could give 2-3 minutes per half tomorrow and give JA or Woolridge a bit of a blow.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Ayayi is the force of this team. He does everything solidly. Not crazy numbers but just gives you the numbers
    Yep.

Pendo-like work ethic.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    They did. And Petro was set to be the goat, had real trouble both converting in the paint or passing out of the double team or getting a d rebound, but he made big plays in all 3 of those down the stretch, setting up a CK 3, finishing at the rim and grabbing the final d board

Wow what a game

And Woolridge was excellent all game dealing with the Oregon pressure