Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gonzaga vs Oregon Post Game thoughts and analysis

High praise and very accurate. Goes was mark Jackson like with ball

M
    Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    The non stop promotion for the Oregon point guard was nothing short of irritating. I had to turn the sound off.

You cannot compare Goss with Ayayi. Simply cannot.

Just wait until one of those east coast brute wings swat the ball away from Ayayi at crunch time. How soon we have forgotten our collective crying over the Texas Tech "reach ins" and "hand swipes" in the last tournament game for GU. When Ayayi faces a similar gauntlet we will once again understand the one thing that Goss had in spades over any other GU guard. He was STRONG with the ball. Extremely strong with the ball and that is the most ignored attribute I see on these boards. The reason why? You don't have to be strong with the ball to win the WCC. It never comes to mind until we face a team like last year's Texas Tech. Then we will blame our weak ball protection on the referees swallowing their whistles again.

Wings being strong with the ball is why the Big East dominated college basketball before the exodus of their top tier to the ACC. Think of a conference loaded with teams like last year's "hand swiping" Texas Tech. They had to learn to protect the ball at all times because of the rugged conference play and it really helped them in post season. Goss was an old school Big East guard. He would have done well in that conference and era.

[QUOTE=MickMick;1485365]The non stop promotion for the Oregon point guard was nothing short of irritating. I had to turn the sound off.

Just wait until one of those east coast brute wings swat the ball away from Ayayi at crunch time. How soon we have forgotten our collective crying over the Texas Tech "reach ins" and "hand swipes" in the last tournament game for GU. When Ayayi faces a similar gauntlet we will once again understand the one thing that Goss had in spades over any other GU guard. He was STRONG with the ball. Extremely strong with the ball and that is the most ignored attribute I see on these boards. The reason why? You don't have to be strong with the ball to win the WCC. It never comes to mind until we face a team like last year's Texas Tech. Then we will blame our weak ball protection on the referees swallowing their whistles again./QUOTE]

Don't get all the negativity about Ayayi. I'd say he's playing pretty damn good, and the Zags are darn lucky he's on this team. If you don't see him as stabalizing, than your eyes are not as good as you think. And we'll never know how Goss would have handled the Texas Tech defense because he never had to play them. Ayayi is much stronger with the ball than Perkins was, and doesn't make as many turnovers as he did either. Ayayi is showing he's quite capable with the ball, running an offense, and scoring some as he's playing his role as a sub. He is most likely the best sub Gonzaga has ever had. He plays starters minutes and is in at the end of games, so he may be considered a starter. But he is not always running the point because when Woolridge is in he runs the point.
    Give credit where credit is due. We beat Oregon today, and they're a heck of a good team. If you can't see that, and can't see the value of having Ayayi in that game and what he did, than I ain't got much to say to you.

You will get sympathy from Jazz, especially if your negative.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

We played really well considering how banged up we are. I was glad we shut down Pritchard completely. Ajayi has been a revelation this year. I'm not sure he will be an NBA player, but he could be even more special for us over the next few years.

Can’t believe ducks attempted 18 more shots.....80 to 62

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Can’t believe ducks attempted 18 more shots.....80 to 62
    Yeah, offensive rebounds will do that. We've had a few games where we've gotten killed on the glass. Definitely room for improvement there.

- yeah but they only had 5 more offensive rebounds than we did, yet 18 more shots.

- late to the party, just watched the game on tape.

- two quick take aways, mentioned before.........love woolridge and the way he handles the press..........fillip, great game, but he has much to improve upon, quick move the basket, stronger with the ball and better passes out of the double team.

- go zags.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
    We played really well considering how banged up we are. I was glad we shut down Pritchard completely. Ajayi has been a revelation this year. I'm not sure he will be an NBA player, but he could be even more special for us over the next few years.
    Remember, Ayayi only 19. He wont be 20 til next Spring.

He is the same age as most incoming 2019 Freshman recruits. Some of the top guard recruits are already 19 before suiting up this yr.

He is still very young, yet 3rd yr in program. He was like Ballo, only 17 his redshirt freshman season.

Ayayi will make an NBA roster someday. His 6'10" wingspan alone will get him attention, combined with elite level rebounding from his position. Ayayi was getting NBA scouts attn when he was 15 & 16, yet was too slight & undisciplined back then.

Hes rounding into form, gaining strength, and developing into a complete player. Hes putting up triple double numbers.

Just a matter of time.

If he leaves too soon, it could be Dom Harris completely alone in backcourt next season.

Whiffing on 3 PG recruits 3 yrs in a row is beginning to show...fortunate the grad transfer band aids are working out, yet potentially long term injuries are a concern with both right now.

Yes, Ayayi is a god send this season, and will be a NBA player someday.

Ayayi might allow Few to point out "We don't 'just' develop big men and get them NBA ready"
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    He looked dyspeptic all night and in the silly promo videos ....he used to love GU.
    Probably spending too much time in the bar with Dan Dakich.

Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    The non stop promotion for the Oregon point guard was nothing short of irritating. I had to turn the sound off.

Just wait until one of those east coast brute wings swat the ball away from Ayayi at crunch time. How soon we have forgotten our collective crying over the Texas Tech "reach ins" and "hand swipes" in the last tournament game for GU. When Ayayi faces a similar gauntlet we will once again understand the one thing that Goss had in spades over any other GU guard. He was STRONG with the ball. Extremely strong with the ball and that is the most ignored attribute I see on these boards. The reason why? You don't have to be strong with the ball to win the WCC. It never comes to mind until we face a team like last year's Texas Tech. Then we will blame our weak ball protection on the referees swallowing their whistles again.

Wings being strong with the ball is why the Big East dominated college basketball before the exodus of their top tier to the ACC. Think of a conference loaded with teams like last year's "hand swiping" Texas Tech. They had to learn to protect the ball at all times because of the rugged conference play and it really helped them in post season. Goss was an old school Big East guard. He would have done well in that conference and era.
    While I agree that the WCC can make the Zags "soft" ...the Big East NEVER dominated college basketball outside of the minds of the biased east coast media...except for a couple of years most of those Big East teams were so overrated!! I remember one year the Big East received 8 or 9 bids which was such a joke.
    It's What You learn AFTER You Know It All That Counts

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Probably spending too much time in the bar with Dan Dakich.
    On a pregame show Doosich said our key loss from last year besides — he garbled Rui’s name — is “Ed Norvell who is on an NBA roster.” Why he continues to be retained by ESPN is beyond me. Guess talking jerky pays off.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaZagFan View Post
    While I agree that the WCC can make the Zags "soft" ...the Big East NEVER dominated college basketball outside of the minds of the biased east coast media...except for a couple of years most of those Big East teams were so overrated!! I remember one year the Big East received 8 or 9 bids which was such a joke.
    And 3 teams in the final four and a 4th Providence at the doorstep.

Anyone know of a replay for the game? Couldn't watch it yesterday so taped it ..... the wrong channel! Grrrrr! and Grrrrr some more!
    Did a search on DirecTV and can't find anything for a replay.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    Anyone know of a replay for the game? Couldn't watch it yesterday so taped it ..... the wrong channel! Grrrrr! and Grrrrr some more!
    Did a search on DirecTV and can't find anything for a replay.
    Check out YouTube, there's a full replay of the game there.

Late to the table as usual, I was able to watch the last 0.2 seconds of the game...was at the in-laws for Turkey Day. By the time we got home, I was able to watch the first half.

Just a few observations:

1. There were a LOT of empty seats. What's with the marketing geniuses at Atlantis? Did they over price the game tickets?

2. Opponents effectively double team Filip when he gets the ball low. Perhaps that's something they can work on in practice, i.e. quick return passes before the double team takes hold. Drew doesn't seem to be bothered by double teams, probably because he was double and triple teamed during HS. IMO, Drew is not playing like a true freshman...the young man knows how to play the game.

3. Glad to see Corey break out of his funk. I never thought of him as a streaky shooter, but this is the first year where he's been the first or second option on offense.

4. Opponents have been served notice: press this team at your peril. Ryan is super quick with the ball in his hands, and his teammates are doing a good job at finding the open man. Zags had no problems breaking Oregon's press.

5. Our poor FT shooting is going to bite us in the butt as the season progresses.

6. Loved it that Drew scored the winning points.

What a contrast the viewing audience was offered yesterday. The Zags show their heart and mental toughness everytime they hit the court. Then you have the Dallas Cowboys, who play with little or no heart, and a distinct lack of mental toughness.

It's long past time for the Cowboys devoted fandom to tar and feather Jerry Jones and the rest of his organization. It's become an annual exercise that starts at training camp, where this vastly overrated team is projected as a potential finalist for the Super Bowl.

Jerry's a marketing genius, no matter how poorly the year ends, next July all will be forgotten when training camp starts. They'll continue to sell the tickets...I've reached the conclusion that Dallas Cowboys fans are among the most gullible in all of professional sports.

Big D was distraught after yesterday's blowout at the hands of the Buffalo Bills. I snapped him out of that by reminding him the Zags were still undefeated. No doubt he'll be again looking at the pictures we took with him and the Zags two weeks ago. This pic is sure to bring a smile to his face.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    And 3 teams in the final four and a 4th Providence at the doorstep.
    a couple of good seasons does NOT equate to "dominated college basketball" in my opinion!
    It's What You learn AFTER You Know It All That Counts

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Late to the table as usual, I was able to watch the last 0.2 seconds of the game...was at the in-laws for Turkey Day. By the time we got home, I was able to watch the first half.

Just a few observations:

1. There were a LOT of empty seats. What's with the marketing geniuses at Atlantis? Did they over price the game tickets?

2. Opponents effectively double team Filip when he gets the ball low. Perhaps that's something they can work on in practice, i.e. quick return passes before the double team takes hold. Drew doesn't seem to be bothered by double teams, probably because he was double and triple teamed during HS. IMO, Drew is not playing like a true freshman...the young man knows how to play the game.

3. Glad to see Corey break out of his funk. I never thought of him as a streaky shooter, but this is the first year where he's been the first or second option on offense.

4. Opponents have been served notice: press this team at your peril. Ryan is super quick with the ball in his hands, and his teammates are doing a good job at finding the open man. Zags had no problems breaking Oregon's press.

5. Our poor FT shooting is going to bite us in the butt as the season progresses.

6. Loved it that Drew scored the winning points.

What a contrast the viewing audience was offered yesterday. The Zags show their heart and mental toughness everytime they hit the court. Then you have the Dallas Cowboys, who play with little or no heart, and a distinct lack of mental toughness.

It's long past time for the Cowboys devoted fandom to tar and feather Jerry Jones and the rest of his organization. It's become an annual exercise that starts at training camp, where this vastly overrated team is projected as a potential finalist for the Super Bowl.

Jerry's a marketing genius, no matter how poorly the year ends, next July all will be forgotten when training camp starts. They'll continue to sell the tickets...I've reached the conclusion that Dallas Cowboys fans are among the most gullible in all of professional sports.

Big D was distraught after yesterday's blowout at the hands of the Buffalo Bills. I snapped him out of that by reminding him the Zags were still undefeated. No doubt he'll be again looking at the pictures we took with him and the Zags two weeks ago. This pic is sure to bring a smile to his face.

The empty seats are because they sell ticket packages, and there are 7 other teams with fans that may prefer spending time in the pool on vacation than watching the other teams play. They are making their money by getting people to Atlantis, they couldn't care less if they actually put their butts in the seats.

That, and of course ebola.

I was only able to watch the game this morning. My takeaways:
    - Zags’ physical and mental toughness may be this team’s defining and most essential characteristic. Epitomized by Woolridge’s performance. Never seen a PG shoot so poorly yet dominate the game for his team in so many ways. One man press break ability is a huge asset for this team.
    - So many Zags has great performances: Kispert, Ayayi, Petrusev, Timme and Woolridge all shined. Tillie and Gilder touching out meaningful minutes at <100%.

Gotta fun now. Errands to run before tipoff.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by Alum08 View Post
    The empty seats are because they sell ticket packages, and there are 7 other teams with fans that may prefer spending time in the pool on vacation than watching the other teams play. They are making their money by getting people to Atlantis, they couldn't care less if they actually put their butts in the seats.

That, and of course ebola.
    The entire tournament functions as a commercial for Atlantis. Interviews in the pools, interviews with dolphins, etc. I'm sure it's a fantastic place, but it gets to be a little much after a while. Kind of like hearing how great Pritchard is. Yes, he's a fine fourth year player. No, he is not Isaiah Thomas.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

The production silly and annoying....I would like to blame Walton but the reality is that the customer is king and this must be what viewers want.....

But Gonzaga is good....Sweet Sixteen good....with senior guards and some very talented young players.... they are not to tired to beat Michigan as this is a opportunity to win the tournament and move into the top 5...

Coaching edge to Few....Like my first boss used to tell me....old age and treachery will beat youthful energy and optimism every time....

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
    That was the key to the game and our (lucky) win. If Payton goes off, he can take over the game. The ESPN guys were drooling over him, and they had every right to do that. The kid has mad skills and is one of the reasons Oregon is where they are.
    IF YOU ZAG, PLEASE DON'T ZIG

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    That was the key to the game and our (lucky) win. If Payton goes off, he can take over the game. The ESPN guys were drooling over him, and they had every right to do that. The kid has mad skills and is one of the reasons Oregon is where they are.
    C'mon. "lucky" win?

Zags were playing out off a MASH unit. If they hadn't gone cold for a stretch in the second half they would have had a double digit win. As it was, they gutted out a win against a very good team that was a lot fresher than them. The Zags outplayed Oregon and if there was any luck involved, the Ducks were lucky to be in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    The entire tournament functions as a commercial for Atlantis. Interviews in the pools, interviews with dolphins, etc. I'm sure it's a fantastic place, but it gets to be a little much after a while. Kind of like hearing how great Pritchard is. Yes, he's a fine fourth year player. No, he is not Isaiah Thomas.
    Besides the non-stop promo for Atlantis, how about the exposure for Bad Boy Mowers?? Those are some effective ads: I am now the proud owner of 3 Bad Boy Mowers ... and I don't even have a lawn! Will start looking for acreage after March Madness!!
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut