• Show
Clear All
  • Reborn
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2007

Gonzaga vs Southern Miss Post Game thoughts and analysis

Gonzaga 94
    Southern Miss 69

Wow! Kispert was hot tonight, once again scoring 28 points on 9-11 shooting for the game and 7-8 from behind the 3 point line. Wow! Ayayi was just as hot, shooting 9-12 for the game and 3-3 from behind the arc. For the night Gonzaga was 13-19 for 68% shooting behind the arc. Impressive. Petrusev got 16 and Gilder 11, but I don't think Gilder played in the second half. Did he get hurt? Zags shot 57.6 for the game. And 65% from the free throw line 13-20. Although Woolridge only scored 1 point I really like how he ran the offense. Same with Ayayi. Ayayi looking real good, fans.

It was really good to see Kispert shooting well from the outside again. Hope he has fixed his shot. It was definitely fixed tonight, but let's see what he does tomorrow. I'm proud of him for bouncing back. It really wasn't much of a game. Gonzaga may have scored 110 if Few hadn't pulled his starters out with about 7 or 8 min to go in the game. And they most likely would have held them under 60 had it not been for our subs letting them shoot the lights out the last 5min. My prediction was that we'd win by 30 and we would have won by a lot more if Few had let them. I was not impressed with Southern Miss at all.

Looking forward to the Oregan game tomorrow. That is going to be awesome.

Go Zags!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!
  • Reborn
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2007

There is a lot of talk about the injuries to Zag Players. I thought Arlauskas played really well tonight. I think we may see a lot more of him tomorrow. In fact I've liked him every time I've seen him play. I hope Watson can play. I could see him playing the 2 or 3. I've definitely seen worse ankle sprains. He walked off the court on his own accord. That was promising. It will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow. Who plays and who doesn't. How Few makes adjustments to the injuries. Will he have to play zone?

Go Zags!!!

Comment

• RenoZag
      Super Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Jim Meehan's game story: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...-southern-mis/

Three Zags departed with injuries during the contest, beginning with freshman forward Anton Watson leaving with a right foot or ankle injury in the opening minute. Watson, who returned to the starting lineup in place of Tillie, landed on the foot of a Golden Eagles player after attempting a shot in the lane.

Gilder scored eight points in the first half, but he was limping noticeably at the outset of the second half. He played less than one minute and headed for the bench after committing a foul. He’s dealing with a sore right knee.

With just under 7 minutes remaining, Woolridge came up hobbling after driving into the lane and landing awkwardly following a shot attempt. He stayed in for another possession on defense and offense before limping to the sideline, favoring his right leg.

The status of Watson, Gilder and Woolridge for Thursday’s game wasn’t immediately known.
      The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• Mantua
        Zag for Life
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by RenoZag View Post
        Rotten rotten luck.

I’m very proud of the team for taking a valiant step forward despite the cloud of bad news. Tillie’s cheer and support from the bench meant a lot.
        Bonjour tristesse.

Comment

• GonzagasaurusFlex
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Great play from Kispert, Ayayi and Petrusev stood out to me. Timme solid and Arlauskas looking more and more comfortable...he’s a great hockey assist guy.

I won’t be surprised if news is no Tillie, Watson, Gilder or Woolridge available vs ORE. At best, whichever of these guys play they will be less than 100%. If so, who backs up this likely starting lineup of:

Ayayi
          Kispert
          Arlauskas
          Timme
          Petrusev
          Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Comment

• WallaWallaZag
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
            Great play from Kispert, Ayayi and Petrusev stood out to me. Timme solid and Arlauskas looking more and more comfortable...he’s a great hockey assist guy.

I won’t be surprised if news is no Tillie, Watson, Gilder or Woolridge available vs ORE. At best, whichever of these guys play they will be less than 100%. If so, who backs up this likely starting lineup of:

Ayayi
            Kispert
            Arlauskas
            Timme
            Petrusev
            zakharov and lang =)

Comment

• Reborn
              Zag for Life
              • Oct 2007

Let me take a guess about who plays. My guess is that Gilder plays, Watson and Tillie will also play. I won't be surprised if Woolridge plays. Like Ayayi said, "that's why we come to Gonzaga, to play in games like this."

Comment

Working...
              X