Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Bonus

Default The Bonus

Averaging 19/13/4, is this the year The Bonus makes his first of many all star games?

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Averaging 19/13/4, is this the year The Bonus makes his first of many all star games?
    He is so darn consistent...and I have to say an incredible rebounding machine...might have been the best GU rebounder this century.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    He is so darn consistent...and I have to say an incredible rebounding machine...might have been the best GU rebounder this century.
    Best GU player college and pro since JS.

Pacers got a really reasonable deal with the contract he just signed.

He is making $3.5 million this season averaging 19 & 13.

His near $18 million/year doesn't kick in til next season with his extension, and even that remains a good deal.

There are players who earn far more $, who do equal to or far less on the court. For instance, Rudy Gobert makes $25 million per year & averages 14 & 13. Nikola Vucevic averages 17 & 11, and earns $28 million, etc. Marc Gasol has never averaged 19 & 13, and he is earning $26 million. His teammate, Myler Turner makes the exact same amount, $18 million/year, and currently averages 13 & 7, and his career best season is 14 & 7.

Very cool. Not bad for a guy with short arms (I think that was his knock in the draft). He was definitely a different kind of animal. He was so physical from day one. He and Wiltjer were basically our only big men for a season and did yeoman work keeping the Zag success going. The only thing I didn't like about Sabonis is that we couldn't have him for longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Therunner View Post

His near $18 million/year doesn't kick in til next season with his extension, and even that remains a good deal.

There are players who earn far more $, who do equal to or far less on the court. For instance, Rudy Gobert makes $25 million per year & averages 14 & 13. Nikola Vucevic averages 17 & 11, and earns $28 million, etc. Marc Gasol has never averaged 19 & 13, and he is earning $26 million. His teammate, Myler Turner makes the exact same amount, $18 million/year, and currently averages 13 & 7, and his career best season is 14 & 7.
    While the points/rebounds might be similar/worse than Domas, you have to take into account what else guys like Gobert/Vucevic/Gasol bring to the table. Gobert is hands down the best rim-protector in the NBA, while Vucevic can stretch the floor pretty well. Marc Gasol is one of the best big man defenders in the last decade who is also a truly great passer and can stretch the floor. Now, I'm not saying that Sabonis isn't the best bang for your buck (since he's an elite rebounder, great PnR player, and a good passer), I'm just saying that there's more to on-court impact than just points/rebounds.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    Very cool. Not bad for a guy with short arms (I think that was his knock in the draft). He was definitely a different kind of animal. He was so physical from day one. He and Wiltjer were basically our only big men for a season and did yeoman work keeping the Zag success going. The only thing I didn't like about Sabonis is that we couldn't have him for longer.
    To tell you the truth, I don't remember another Lithuanian player who was as physical as Domas. Heck, he's playing a far more physical brand of basketball than his Dad. Probably only Sarunas Marciulionis and Jonas Valanciunas come close to Domas in that regard. Most players usually try to avoid contact and getting hit, while Domas revels in it. It's strange and amazing at the same time. It's a pity NBA refs often call fouls on him for just being physical.

Quote Originally Posted by Jstock12 View Post
    To tell you the truth, I don't remember another Lithuanian player who was as physical as Domas. Heck, he's playing a far more physical brand of basketball than his Dad. Probably only Sarunas Marciulionis and Jonas Valanciunas come close to Domas in that regard. Most players usually try to avoid contact and getting hit, while Domas revels in it. It's strange and amazing at the same time. It's a pity NBA refs often call fouls on him for just being physical.
    I don't have the time but it would be interesting to see how well he plays against Davis and other high level post players...

I agree with Jazz that Domas IS the best player since John Stockton...

Demonstrates once again how important it is in the NBA to be on the right team with the right coach...as was Stockton...

Quote Originally Posted by Therunner View Post

Defense and ability to knock down the three point shot are the reason for a few of of those millions the other players are receiving.

BC and Hachimura both project well, and might even pass Sabonis. And tbh, I think BCs one year at GU was probably the best performance (offense and defense) that I have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekrub View Post
    BC and Hachimura both project well, and might even pass Sabonis. And tbh, I think BCs one year at GU was probably the best performance (offense and defense) that I have seen.
    Love Rui's game and I think he'll be a solid pro. I think he needs to be way more aggressive though if he wants to make that next step in the NBA. Also, his 3PT shot needs to improve for sure. He's currently shooting at a 21.7% clip.

As for Clarke, I've just realized he is the same age as Sabonis. It would have been interesting to see the senior-year Domas compete in the WCC

Quote Originally Posted by Jstock12 View Post
    Love Rui's game and I think he'll be a solid pro. I think he needs to be way more aggressive though if he wants to make that next step in the NBA. Also, his 3PT shot needs to improve for sure. He's currently shooting at a 21.7% clip.

As for Clarke, I've just realized he is the same age as Sabonis. It would have been interesting to see the senior-year Domas compete in the WCC
    Would have been interesting but we will never know he would have been the best player on the floor vs unc

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Demonstrates once again how important it is in the NBA to be on the right team with the right coach.....

Just ask Steve Nash.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Default Yessss!!!!!!

Washington Post picks first time all stars.....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...pascal-siakam/

6. Domantas Sabonis, Indiana Pacers
Sabonis places higher on this list than some might expect because the Eastís crop of frontcourt talent is relatively thin outside projected starters Antetokounmpo, Siakam and Joel Embiid. The Pacers should receive at least one representative given their steady start without Oladipo, and Sabonisís averages of 18.4 points, 13.5 rebounds and 3.7 assists per game make him an excellent candidate. Indiana guard Malcolm Brogdon also deserves mention, but he could feel the squeeze in the Eastís backcourt. As a footnote: Sabonisís father, Arvydas, the Lithuanian legend, is one of the greatest basketball players to never make an NBA All-Star Game because of his late-career arrival from overseas.

Default Washington Post picks the Bonus for ASG

Sabonis places higher on this list than some might expect because the Eastís crop of frontcourt talent is relatively thin outside projected starters Antetokounmpo, Siakam and Joel Embiid. The Pacers should receive at least one representative given their steady start without Oladipo, and Sabonisís averages of 18.4 points, 13.5 rebounds and 3.7 assists per game make him an excellent candidate. Indiana guard Malcolm Brogdon also deserves mention, but he could feel the squeeze in the Eastís backcourt. As a footnote: Sabonisís father, Arvydas, the Lithuanian legend, is one of the greatest basketball players to never make an NBA All-Star Game because of his late-career arrival from overseas.

Sorry. Wrong thread.

Here's hoping.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Sorry. Wrong thread.
    No biggie. We'll move it

Domas is one of my all time favorite ZAGS. Imagine what could have been had he stayed one more year.....................

Flat out baller, motor on red-line all the time.

Good find Jazz.

Go ZAGS

Who was the last Zag to play in ASG? Stockton?

ZZ

Quote Originally Posted by TacomaZAG View Post
    Domas is one of my all time favorite ZAGS. Imagine what could have been had he stayed one more year.....................

Good find Jazz.

Go ZAGS
    NC, Wooden....just as with Goss. Would have played on front line with Zbo, Karno, JW, Tils.

Quote Originally Posted by zagzilla View Post
    Who was the last Zag to play in ASG? Stockton?

ZZ
    Not many pros much less all stars in these intervening years, particularly early on.

Quote Originally Posted by TacomaZAG View Post

Good find Jazz.

Go ZAGS
    Goss, Josh, Zbo, Bonus, Karno....

Sabonis places higher on this list than some might expect because the East’s crop of frontcourt talent is relatively thin outside projected starters Antetokounmpo, Siakam and Joel Embiid. The Pacers should receive at least one representative given their steady start without Oladipo, and Sabonis’s averages of 18.4 points, 13.5 rebounds and 3.7 assists per game make him an excellent candidate. Indiana guard Malcolm Brogdon also deserves mention, but he could feel the squeeze in the East’s backcourt. As a footnote: Sabonis’s father, Arvydas, the Lithuanian legend, is one of the greatest basketball players to never make an NBA All-Star Game because of his late-career arrival from overseas.
    Embid season stats are lagging behind last season’s. He looks a little less agile. His back may be a problem again.
    Parlez-vous franÁais?