Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GU vs CalState Bakersfield Post game analysis and thoughts or feelings

I agree CK's strength is that he is a good somewhat streaky 3 point shooter. I think all shooters are
    (streaky). No one goes out and shoots %30 or %40 every night. We are only 6 games in and he is shooting %31 behind the arc. He has clearly had some off nights
    shooting the ball. I personally think he does other things well, I don't think he's elite but I think he is solid.
    Not really sure why people want to bang on the kid. I would love to see him take the ball to the rack a little more he's not super quick but he has good lift.
    No question he has to shoot at a higher % but he's really not that far off. He is 11 of 35 behind the arc %31 if he is 14 for 35 he's at %40. Kispert is not a creator (step back 3) type, he's not much of a off the bounce guy he is a catch and shoot guy. For him to be really effective shooting that style 3 where many of his
    shots are not rushed he would only have to be 13 for 35 or %37. The kid isn't that far off!

Quote Originally Posted by Larryzag View Post
    My impressions from the game:

Ayayi - I like him running the point. He's been in the system a couple years and I saw him directing traffic, communicating, running the show the best of any of the guards.

Petrusev - I think he is has an awesome offensive game but several times I saw players literally shoving him into defensive position because it looked like he was confused as to whom to guard. I've heard it said that he might be gone after this year, but I'm not so sure.

Kispert - He needs to take a game like that, where we are way ahead in the second half, to just shoot away and get his shot back on track. I believe this can only happen under actual game condition, not practice. The old Pangos saying of shooting when your hot and shoot to get hot applies.

Watson - I would like him to do the same thing as Cory to establish his three point shot. He was a good long range shooter in high school so I think he can be a weapon that way for this team. He needs to make teams pay for sagging off him like Texas Arlington did. His defense makes a big difference because he can guard 1 through 5.

Timme - I love his game! Tough, confident, skilled, a great 10 foot shot that really isn't a hook or a floater but what a weapon he has. Can't wait to see his development this year and next. Big fan.

Tillie - Total respect for him. Big cheerleader when he was on the bench and now showing the freshmen how it's done. I pray he stays healthy because he should make a great pro next year.
    Great overview and concur.

Petro got shoved into position by Tillie then Tommy was in his grill pretty emphatically. IT will get fixed no doubt. While I am impressed with Woolridge and Gilder it seems they aren't quite buying into the Few system just yet, especially Woolridge. He's effective but dang, he crashes into trouble at times instead of looking to dish back out.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    As I noted, Mike’s reluctance to shoot made me crazy as he was a perfectly fine shooter. The 4-man offense sounds like something I might say. These are not high school kids but men on a top 10 team. Seems that makes them fair game to blunt criticism. But that’s me.
    He wasn't reluctant, he actually wanted to shoot more, but Few wouldn't let him.

Quote Originally Posted by zagssuperfan View Post
    He wasn't reluctant, he actually wanted to shoot more, but Few wouldn't let him.
    First I’ve heard that.

I don't think there is any democracy under coach Few.
    If you want to be happy tomorrow, think good thoughts today--Bud Fisher

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post
    Great overview and concur.

Petro got shoved into position by Tillie then Tommy was in his grill pretty emphatically. IT will get fixed no doubt. While I am impressed with Woolridge and Gilder it seems they aren't quite buying into the Few system just yet, especially Woolridge. He's effective but dang, he crashes into trouble at times instead of looking to dish back out.
    I agree wholeheartedly about Woolridge.

Keeps forcing the issue, "trying" to take over which is not Zag bball at all. Pressing, rushed, occasionally effective, yet one dramatic heroic trick shot basket doesnt win a game.

It's a marathon, not a sprint. Woolridge is a sprinter yet not winning the race.

He will remain the starting PG as long as he played like he did Game 1. Controlled, disciplined, moved the ball, shifted offense, picked his spots, moved without the ball, let game come to him, not force it, etc.

The moment he got a taste of leading the team in scoring, hearing the cheers, he simply hasn't been the same player. Ryan seems to feel, or believe his offense is desperately needed, because he is playing like he must score, when really it's not the case.

His best games and our best team results were him driving or shooting when open yet passing early, often, and forcing the entire defense to defend. Not just flying into the lane, or passing too early to a big with no position, or shooting the moment he sees daylight.

Skilled kid, great handles, lightning quick, yet needs to slow down. I actually preferred him game 1 and 2 when he logged numerous assists playing somewhat unsure, finding teammates, running offense, scoring a secondary option.

Hopefully his attempt at next level play in his final year doesn't take over, or he will find himself coming off the bench in a limited role.

Having said that, I feel Gilder has been exact opposite, he is running Zag bball and system better and better every game. He has shown he could probably take over yet seems to run offense, move without the ball, finding open looks, not forcing the issue or showing off himself.

He hasn't always been the most effective yet been a steady presence running team based bball. In some ways I wish he'd become even more selfish in the lane and around the hoop. He has been streaky shooter, yet has a nice touch in the lane which we've only seen glimpses. He is picking his spots.and moving without the ball pretty well.

Doing a much better job within the frame of the offense and system than Woolridge, who has gone rogue. Ryan's ability allows him to make buckets but not great for team success.

I like Woolridge's mindset. We definitely needed him the game before. When the other team challenged him and basically told him with their defensive gameplan that he was the weakest link on offense, he answered. He's not a chucker and doesn't pound the ball into the ground. He is in control when he drives to the basket and doesn't pick up his dribble in bad places, or drive into traffic and have to make difficult passes to get out of trouble. He is doing much better than I thought for having only a few months in this system.

If Ayayi can get 30 minutes from time to time that would be great because I'm sure it will help with wear and tear on that knee. It's a long season...

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    I like Woolridge's mindset. We definitely needed him the game before. When the other team challenged him and basically told him with their defensive gameplan that he was the weakest link on offense, he answered. He's not a chucker and doesn't pound the ball into the ground. He is in control when he drives to the basket and doesn't pick up his dribble in bad places, or drive into traffic and have to make difficult passes to get out of trouble. He is doing much better than I thought for having only a few months in this system.

If Ayayi can get 30 minutes from time to time that would be great because I'm sure it will help with wear and tear on that knee. It's a long season...
    As an individual player, especially his mindset, fearlessness, toughness, he is probably my favorite on the team.

He brings a ton of terrific attributes to the table, and like you said, a fearless mindset and alpha dog presence this team likely needs.

He just needs to find a way to capitalize within the concepts of team, especially Zags basketball.

There were numerous instances to start the last couple games he is out running the offense, or not making the pass or read, and it really frustrated the coaches last game, even the game he "took over" on occasion.

There was no coincidence he logged 18 mins while Ayayi logged 32.

It wasn't about resting one and giving more experience to another, as our offense settled down with Ryan either off the ball, or on the bench.

But, as I posted earlier my preferred lineup is with Woolridge on the court.

I thought our 3 guard lineup of 1 Ayayi or 2 Woolridge, 3 Gilder, 4 Tillie, 5 Petrusev/Timme was, by far, our best most dynamic lineup the other night.

They doubled the lead within minutes.

However, given the fact we only have 3 guards on the team, we cant play them together all that much. Too risky too much fatigue

I will have to rewatch the game.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    I will have to rewatch the game.
    Watty, even in his 'impaired state', is a better player than Kispert. This team will win with defense, and the best defense has Watty on the floor. He might be the best weak-side and help defender on the team right now. The offense runs better with an aggressive Kispert and the team CRAVES leadership right now, so Kispert is the man until Few says otherwise. Despite me being a big fan of Watson, this team will go farther if Kispert figures out his shot and can improve his assist to turn over ratio so I'm pulling for him.

Our transfer guards were brought in with known offensive deficiencies but also elite defensive reputations so I'm seeing what I expected to see.

How about JA sticking with it and getting some quality run this year? He's still raw but filling up the stat sheet.

Default Per Meehan: Kispert putting in the work

From the Spokesman-Review Zags beat writer Jim Meehan:

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...k-to-regain-s/

Kispert essentially has been living at McCarthey Athletic Center and the Volkar Center practice gym. That’s routine whether Kispert is on fire – 28 points against Michigan State in a scrimmage, 28 versus Alabama State in the season opener and 20 against North Dakota – or struggling with a 3-of-24 shooting stretch in the last three games.

“First one in, last one out, and no matter how many times the ball goes in the work never changes,” Kispert said. “Gotta stick to it and stick to what I’ve done. It’s worked in the past, it’ll work. I’m not worried about the slump that I’m in. I’m going to keep letting that thing fly and live with the results. I’m confident the results are going to start getting better.”

Past Gonzaga shooters, none of whom were immune to slumps, fully understand the sentiment. Kevin Pangos was fond of saying, “Shoot when you’re hot, shoot to get hot.”

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    From the Spokesman-Review Zags beat writer Jim Meehan:

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...k-to-regain-s/
    Even great shooters have terrible slumps. Last year in the first part of the NCAA tournament, Kyle Guy was 3-28.
    Then he got hot and shot UVA to a national championship including late game heroics to come from behind and win in the elite 8 (Purdue) and in the final 4 (Auburn).

I'm not comparing Kyle Guy to Kispert overall as 3pt shooters or college players. I'm just demonstrating that even elite shooters are terrible for a few games in a row.
    I've never been nearly as high on Kispert's ceiling or liklihood to improve from his fresman year as most on this forum.

But there's no way he won't bounce back from this slump, and I think he'll shoot 35-37% from 3, as he did last year and the year before.

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    Even great shooters have terrible slumps. Last year in the first part of the NCAA tournament, Kyle Guy was 3-28.
    Then he got hot and shot UVA to a national championship including late game heroics to come from behind and win in the elite 8 (Purdue) and in the final 4 (Auburn).

I'm not comparing Kyle Guy to Kispert overall as 3pt shooters or college players. I'm just demonstrating that even elite shooters are terrible for a few games in a row.
    I've never been nearly as high on Kispert's ceiling or liklihood to improve from his fresman year as most on this forum.

But there's no way he won't bounce back from this slump, and I think he'll shoot 35-37% from 3, as he did last year and the year before.
    I remember everyone blaming Norvell for going cold against SMC.

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    I remember everyone blaming Norvell for going cold against SMC.
    Yes and at the time I found and posted data for some stretches during Steph Curry's career that resemble Norvell's (or Kispert's) cold streak.

My concern isn't Kispert's current slump. He'll revert to something near his averages from 3 (maybe a little less this year with the extended line and more attempts.) He's just not going to transform into something different from what we've seen for 2 years. The MSU and Alabama State games were the anomalies.

Quote Originally Posted by EEzag View Post
    Watty, even in his 'impaired state', is a better player than Kispert. This team will win with defense, and the best defense has Watty on the floor. He might be the best weak-side and help defender on the team right now. The offense runs better with an aggressive Kispert and the team CRAVES leadership right now, so Kispert is the man until Few says otherwise. Despite me being a big fan of Watson, this team will go farther if Kispert figures out his shot and can improve his assist to turn over ratio so I'm pulling for him.

Our transfer guards were brought in with known offensive deficiencies but also elite defensive reputations so I'm seeing what I expected to see.

How about JA sticking with it and getting some quality run this year? He's still raw but filling up the stat sheet.
    The shoulder injury instantly effected and affected Watson.

He was building up to be our best overall player imo.

He was dominant defensively, on the glass, in transition, showing off a versatile, aggressive game all over the court.

That's been MIA post dislocation. He still can play, as his natural feel, IQ, length, etc will be effective yet a shell of the guy who snagged 15 rebs vs MSU or looked like a lottery pick every minute before injury.

TBH, the only thing keeping Anton from being our next 'one and done' is that loose/nagging shoulder.

He reinjured it vs CSU-Bakersfield, was holding it, protecting it once again.

Anton is tough, playing thru it, yet definitely not using his left shoulder for steals, rebounds, blocks, etc.

Hope he is able to secure it and avoid any further injury, yet once shoulders pop out, they are prone to repeat injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    The shoulder injury instantly effected and affected Watson.

He was building up to be our best overall player imo.

He was dominant defensively, on the glass, in transition, showing off a versatile, aggressive game all over the court.

That's been MIA post dislocation. He still can play, as his natural feel, IQ, length, etc will be effective yet a shell of the guy who snagged 15 rebs vs MSU or looked like a lottery pick every minute before injury.

TBH, the only thing keeping Anton from being our next 'one and done' is that loose/nagging shoulder.

He reinjured it vs CSU-Bakersfield, was holding it, protecting it once again.

Anton is tough, playing thru it, yet definitely not using his left shoulder for steals, rebounds, blocks, etc.

Hope he is able to secure it and avoid any further injury, yet once shoulders pop out, they are prone to repeat injury.
    Gosh:

You've previously established your bona fides with re: physical therapy, sports injuries, etc.

If it were your call, what would you do with Watson if he was just another youngster with a bad shoulder ?