Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GU vs CalState Bakersfield Post game analysis and thoughts or feelings

Default GU vs CalState Bakersfield Post game analysis and thoughts or feelings

GU 77
    CSB 49

So far I would have to say that our youthfulness and inexperience at the D1 level is very evident right now, and for sure it's the worse three point shooting from the guards that I can ever remember. Kispert continues to be in a huge slump, and from what I see he is not taking the time to correct the mechanics of his shot by going and working on it in the gym. He is releasing the ball too early and he is not following through on his shot, and shooting a little too much with his arm and NOT wrist and finger tips. The good news is it's early n the ye year. I'm hoping he does get it corrected soon.

The 3 guards: Woolridge, Gilder and Kispert were a combined 2-10. That's pretty horrible. Tilie was 3-4 and Ayayi was 2-5, to make our outside shooting respectable, and Watson was 1-1 which also helped which makes these three guys 6-10. That is nice. But aren't the guards supposed to be the good outside shooters? Our free throw shooting continues to be bad, and in fact if we shot a decent percentage from the line our offense would look a lot better. We would have scored around 84 points. AND an 84-49 score would look like we gave them a pretty bad beating. AND a 29 point victory is a good victory. I predicted we'd win by 30; so I was pretty close.

I liked Woolridge's game tonight a lot more. He only scored 7 points, which I liked. He was passing much better, and Ayayi too. And Timme continues to play tough off the bench. I'm liking his game more and more. And I was glad to see Watson get going in the second half. It was also good seeing him play the 3. I am liking that lineup while Kispert tries to figure out what is wrong with his shot.

The good news about Gonzaga is that they are playing well on defense, and our guards really do play good D. I think this is important because the team is so young and inexperienced it is going to take time to develop cohesiveness and chemistry on offense. In the meantime they are playing tough D, and rebounding okay. I do like our bench play; and I feel it's definitely a strength of this team, and that's good. Ayayi played 32 minutes tonight, which was the most anyone played. I like that stat a lot. When he plays within the framework of what Few wants, he really does play well.

So we move on to the tournament next week. That will be a lot of fun and will tell us a lot about where we are. I can hardly wait.

Go Zags!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Free throw shooting definitely to improve, we were 64% from the charity stripe and probably left 10 points. Big games are won and lost at the free throw line and with ust about everyone except woolridge percentages being down from last year, you'd expect to see that percentage come up.

Three point shooting was not great tonight but that was largely due to Gilder and Kisperts poor performance from outside the arc. It will be interesting to see the drop in 3 point percentages this year among all teams due to the line being moved back a significant amount.

- boy, the last two games, the offense has been a slog.
    - I've been to the last two games, and if this is on me, fine, i'll not go to another game this year, if it will help.
    - but I truly believe in the last two games Gonzaga has not brought the ball up court and sank a basket on 3 consecutive trips, not once. rarely have they done it two trips in a row, a made basket.

- years ago the team had a knock on them for playing down to competition. I hope they play up to completion next week. I think they could.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    - boy, the last two games, the offense has been a slog.
    - I've been to the last two games, and if this is on me, fine, i'll not go to another game this year, if it will help.
    - but I truly believe in the last two games Gonzaga has not brought the ball up court and sank a basket on 3 consecutive trips, not once. rarely have they done it two trips in a row, a made basket.

- years ago the team had a knock on them for playing down to competition. I hope they play up to completion next week. I think they could.
    If you have tickets you aren't using, I know a good home (happy to pay or donate to a charity of your choice!)

If I'm being honest I'm a bit skeptical on this squad. I know its early and the guys are trying to find chemistry still. But man, very choppy games with little flow. Seems every few minutes a different ZAG team appears. FTs will eventually bite is against a decent opponent.

I believe in this team, alot of unique peices and talent, I'm hoping it comes together....soon.
    America's Team!

Threes, free throws, and I’ll add in dunks. They played some good d in the post against us tonight but our post players just can’t seem to power down for the highest percentage points out there. No we aren’t getting blocked a whole lot, but the fouls on lay ins when we can’t convert the free throws are not helping anything.

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    Threes, free throws, and I’ll add in dunks. They played some good d in the post against us tonight but our post players just can’t seem to power down for the highest percentage points out there. No we aren’t getting blocked a whole lot, but the fouls on lay ins when we can’t convert the free throws are not helping anything.
    This. I've said this many times before. We dont have a Brandon Clarke or Sabonis to lay the hammer down near the rim. Our guys play finesse, more of an international style. It works against the competition up to this point but will be exposed soon.

Kispert is in a funk and we need him to figure out. You could see the frustration setting in tonight. He usually locks it down and stays positive but its starting to take a toll.
    America's Team!

Quote Originally Posted by HenneZag View Post
    Kispert is in a funk and we need him to figure out. You could see the frustration setting in tonight. He usually locks it down and stays positive but its starting to take a toll.
    unless others step up in a big way, don't think the zags can beat the better teams with kispert shooting so poorly...it's not like he can make up for it on defense like say gilder.

These are not classic GU guards. They are shoot first. Have a mercenary feel. Josh spoiled us, most unselfish player in 20 years. Neither is NWG, who could “get his” and still be a playmaker. Imagine these two with Norvell ... ugh. Heart of the team now is Petro, Tils and a still emerging Timme. Disappeared Watty may as well sit or redshirt. Gonna be a tough season.

My 'IMPATIENCE' as a fan gives me anxiety when I watch these games.
    That game last night was not a game it was a practice. Limited min, diffrent lineups losts of experiment's. Some looked good some not so good. Bakersfield has some nice atletic players that are iso guy's that the defence shut down. Unfortunately thats all CSUB has.
    We have been spoiled with very little of the unknown the last few years. I think this will be a good team without Tillie, with Tillie (playing normal min) I think its
    a totally diffrent team. He makes everyone on that team better, he can really shoot but as a passer some of my east coast friends would say "forget about it".
    Watson is a little lost trying to carve out his new role but he will figure it out as we all saw how good he is in the firrst couple of games.
    As coach Few said 'PATIENCE'! He knows what he has and how to make it work. The only thing that concerns me is free throws. Wolly probably isn't going to shoot better than %60 if that is the case others clearly have to step it up a little.

I think Tillie makes the game easier for Petrusev in particular, and these two are getting better and better playing off one another. Glad Tillie has two games under his belt before this Bahamas tourney.

I like when Woolridge, Ayayi and Gilder play together. This is best defensive backcourt and w Watson at the 4 they can play him atop the press.

Rooting for Kispert to have a breakout performance and just let it flow.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Haven't developed a view on this team yet given the quality of competition thus far. Agree with a lot of the comments that we look like a different team on different trips down the floor.

Definitely a backcourt dissimilar from what we've all gotten used to, not sure that's a bad thing necessarily but will take some time for the team to adapt.

Coach experimenting with a lot of lineups. I swear we had some big units out there compared to years past -- I thought I spied Ayayi, Kispert, Watson, Timme and Tils in one stretch (or may have been Petro). That's a lot of length.

FTs a concern, as is rebounding. Am surprised more people aren't noting that. Defensive rebounding last night sucked. That's going to leave a mark against top 25 talent.
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

This game felt like a practice where the coaches were experimenting more than usual.

Ayayi ran the point more than we have seen. The program needs to start developing his skills at that position.

What did you all think of that “big” lineup they ran for a little while? I seem to recall Ayayi at the 1, Kispert at the 2, and Watson, Tillie, and another big up front.
    MCMM 2020: Who Wants Some Cheese?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post

What did you all think of that “big” lineup they ran for a little while? I seem to recall Ayayi at the 1, Kispert at the 2, and Watson, Tillie, and another big up front.
    It was solid, yet my favorite lineup last night was:

Ayayi 1, Woolridge 2, Gilder 3, Tillie 4, Petrusev 5.

And Timme played with that lineup too, which was when we went from 8pt to 20pt lead.

Our guys play finesse, more of an international style. It works against the competition up to this point but will be exposed soon.
    Or will the finesse/international style expose these so-called "vertical athletic" teams soon?

who knows...

Guys like Clarke were a luxury, yet not just due to his ability to soar/jump, moreso because he was an elite defender, high IQ, high motor, and just disciplined in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by Therunner View Post
    It was solid, yet my favorite lineup last night was:

Ayayi 1, Woolridge 2, Gilder 3, Tillie 4, Petrusev 5.

And Timme played with that lineup too, which was when we went from 8pt to 20pt lead.
    I like that three guard lineup, but we can’t afford to play it very much because we only have three scholarship guards on the roster. Ayayi needs to spell the other two and he can’t do that when they’re all playing together.
    MCMM 2020: Who Wants Some Cheese?

considering the length the zags are putting out there, rebounding shouldn't be an issue...really hasn't been until this game, so maybe an isolated case.

free throws on the other hand...

CK is a concern right now. This is a guy who played at the highest level against top type competition and earned his stripes there. His funk is a concern because his confidence has to be shaken. He will re-emerge but wow, he's struggled of late. It does seem defense schemes are pretty focused on him the last few games, so there is that of course.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post
    This is a guy who played at the highest level against top type competition and earned his stripes there.
    What does this mean? I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm sincerely curious how you define "played at the highest level".

You might want to check out CK's career stats against top50 type teams, or at least his stats in the 4 conference and NCAA tournaments he's been part of.

So far CK's stats through 6 OOC games are almost identical to last year's stats through 6 OOC games, and I don't think that should be a surprise. I never understood why some believed he'd be so much different as a junior than he was a a freshman or sophomore.

This game felt like a practice where the coaches were experimenting more than usual.

Ayayi ran the point more than we have seen. The program needs to start developing his skills at that position.

I 'd like to see a "big" lineup of Ayayi/Gilder/Watson/Tillie/Petrusev. If we had Ballo this year (and he was the 5) that would be an insane defense/length lineup to throw out there.

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    What does this mean? I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm sincerely curious how you define "played at the highest level".

You might want to check out CK's career stats against top50 type teams, or at least his stats in the 4 conference and NCAA tournaments he's been part of.

So far CK's stats through 6 OOC games are almost identical to last year's stats through 6 OOC games, and I don't think that should be a surprise. I never understood why some believed he'd be so much different as a junior than he was a a freshman or sophomore.
    because he has shown flashes in the past, including this year...just like what petrusev is doing isn't exactly a surprise, expecting kispert to make a similar jump isn't unreasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    because he has shown flashes in the past, including this year...just like what petrusev is doing isn't exactly a surprise, expecting kispert to make a similar jump isn't unreasonable.
    The biggest things holding back Petro last year were fixable and discrete, and it was clear that a 6'11" athlete with his coordination level would have a much higher ceiling than we saw. (weaknesses were tougher/stronger hands, keeping the ball high, interior defense positioning, adjusting to the speed of the college the game, gaining muscle mass to hold his position).

The limitations on CK are closer to innate. He'd been playing years of AAU and prep-school b-ball before getting to GU and arrived on campus as physically strong and developed as typical 20 or 21yr old, leaving less room for growth. We're just expecting too much of him. Nobody said "watch out for that junior year Dranginis! He's really gonna explode!" (and I love CK! he appears to be a great guy and an awesome teammate, but Watson and Ayayi are more effective at the 3)

CK’s only strength is he can be a streaky shooter and other than getting called for charging he can drive the basket. All that other stuff — defense, passing, glue, hustle — is exaggerated but apparently believed if not propagated by Few. He’s no Mike Hart.

This. I've said this many times before. We dont have a Brandon Clarke or Sabonis to lay the hammer down near the rim. Our guys play finesse, more of an international style. It works against the competition up to this point but will be exposed soon.

I am resigned to watching a lot highlight-reel lay-ups this year.

My two cents on Kispert: he seems to have a hitch in his shot right now and the ball is coming out flat. He appears to have a slight pause after he gets his elbow up and before his forearm/hand come forward. It looks very mechanical and he needs to just let it fly. He's a fundamentally sound guy and is probably overthinking it.

I liked it, if not for the chance to see what Ayayi can do at the point for an extended period