Thread: A Nice Piece on Coach Powell

Default A Nice Piece on Coach Powell

One of our best recruits, in my opinion -- an absolute class act. Here's Bryce Drew, Coach Powell's former head coach at Valparaiso (5 yrs.) and Vanderbilt (3 yrs.):

" "Roger's the best. He's such a good person, but he's also extremely passionate about doing what's right and also the game of basketball. He's one of my dearest friends. I've been talking and texting with him today before the game."
    The opportunity to work with Few is one Drew said was a big one for Powell. "You know, within 15 minutes, basically, of us getting released (at Vanderbilt) he had people wanting him," Drew said. "A lot of people have really wanted him on their staff for years. I'm just so happy he's out with Coach Few at Gonzaga. They're top 10 in the country and have a chance to go to a Final Four." ... "He has such a great passion for the game, and players instantly gravitate to him," Drew said. "He was still good enough to go out and dunk on people during practice, but yet he could go and close his door and talk to a young man and help straighten out his life if he needed to. He could wear a lot of different hats, and you always trusted what he did.""

https://www.news-gazette.com/sports/...2021958ea.html
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

Thank you for sharing. Powell is a great addition to the staff, although he might have a tough time getting to the rim against this year's group of players

The edge top performers have is very often honed on a wheel of sterling character.